You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming AG Underground - Freeware Adventures Is creating a shareware adventure game worth it?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2010, 10:46 PM   #1

Default Is creating a shareware adventure game worth it?

With copyrights, and DRM. Is it still worth all the trouble. Or is sticking with freeware worth it.

Last edited by Wanderer; 02-19-2010 at 12:43 AM.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:05 AM   #2
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

If you have never completed a game yet, it is better to make at least one short freeware game first. You'll learn a lot of things that will make a more ambitious project way easier and possibly get noticed as a game designer.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:23 AM   #3
Game Creator Hobbyist

DRM is never worth it. Well, ok, maybe something like Steam can be, but generally I'd say that you should stay as far away from those copy protection things as possible, and the players will love you for it.

As someone who has made (and am making) freeware games, I can say that the process of making games, while a lot of work and sometimes very frustrating, is very much worth it. But Ascovel's advice above is probably a good one.