You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming AG Underground - Freeware Adventures Why are all indie games so bad looking?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2004, 01:09 PM   #1
n00b on board

Default Riddle me this

Why are all independend adventure games so crappy looking? I mean, why can't some people get together some promising artists and aanimatoers and jsut make something that looks real good, you know, it deosn';t seem so hard, theer are good artists, writres and you know everywheers or so it seems, they just need to be milked? How hard is that?
Old 03-23-2004, 01:33 PM   #2
guybrush_guy

if the purpsoe of you post was to make you sound like a jerk it worked. if you did'nt mean to sound like that i sugest that you change it. (thats how i read it)

it's not that simple. it takes a lot of time and planing. i have'nt maid one my self but i'm sure it's not as easy as your saying it would be

Old 03-23-2004, 01:39 PM   #3
lemonhead11

Guybrushguys got a good point but I definitly would'nt say that all amateur games look bad. Some freeware games look great and keep in mind that goodlooking games like Tony Tough and Gilbert Goodmate started out as amateur projects.

Old 03-23-2004, 02:27 PM   #4
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

Rex I suggest you go and find one of these many artists simply laying about, waiting to be "milked," and tell them you want them to make you 20 pieces of award winning background art for an obscure computer game that maybe 500 people will play, and be sure to tell him/her that you won't be paying them anything. Surely they will be instantly interested in the project and have an unending desire (and equally unending amount of free time) to dedicate to you. If its that easy.

I eagerly await your visually stunning freeware amateur adventure game.

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Old 03-23-2004, 02:35 PM   #5
Barroom hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake
Rex I suggest you go and find one of these many artists simply laying about, waiting to be "milked," and tell them you want them to make you 20 pieces of award winning background art for an obscure computer game that maybe 500 people will play, and be sure to tell him/her that you won't be paying them anything. Surely they will be instantly interested in the project and have an unending desire (and equally unending amount of free time) to dedicate to you. If its that easy.

Maybe he still has a point about the fact much more talented programmers/scripters are willing to produce near-professionnal quality work for free on their spare time than talented artists.
Don't know why though.
Old 03-23-2004, 02:42 PM   #6
Liver of Life

Haha!!111
Old 03-23-2004, 03:29 PM   #7
Under pressure.

I think games such as Apprentice, Roger Foodbelly, Project Joe, and many others look pretty good. Some of them are commercial quality.

--Erwin
Old 03-23-2004, 03:45 PM   #8
Citizen of Bizarro World

& Bad Timing, of course
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 03-24-2004, 06:44 AM   #9
Doctor Watson

Quote:

Ditto.
Old 03-24-2004, 09:08 AM   #10
n00b on board

Quote:

Well, I'll just tell you this, i'll see waht I can do.
Old 03-31-2004, 04:50 PM   #11

Doppleganger:

Have you even ever looked around at some of the fan games out there? Try AGDI (Formerly Tierra). Two beautiful, soon to be three, remakes of classic Sierra adventures. If I would've played those back in Sierra's hayday and someone told me they weren't made by Sierra, I would've called them a liar.

There are tons of projects with amazing looking graphics. Indiana Jones and the Fountain of Youth, Zak McCracken 2 (Whichever one you look at), and my own project Quest for Infamy.

Fan Adventures can have amazing graphics. But that isn't the selling point of them. I have played many games that are better than alot of commercial games with not so good graphics. Pleurghburg: Dark Ages by Gaspop is one of them.
Old 03-31-2004, 08:10 PM   #12
Retirement is stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramboi
Maybe he still has a point about the fact much more talented programmers/scripters are willing to produce near-professionnal quality work for free on their spare time than talented artists.
Don't know why though.
Because programmers and scripters are a dime a dozen, and great background artists are nearly impossible to find.

Anyway, I second everything Jake said, except let me add that even offering money doesn't help in the quest for a good artist. Though maybe doppelganger is going to different forums than me...which I hope he'll post the URL to...

"An episodic sociopathic lagomorph? The mind boggles."
Old 04-01-2004, 02:14 AM   #13
More slaw!!!

Yeah, good background artists that are happy to work on another persons project (and I don't blame them, I only enjoy my own projects) are hard to come by. I've offered between $500-$1,500 for a background artist for one of my projects and I still can't get anybody on board.
Old 04-01-2004, 08:57 AM   #14
n00b on board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toefur
Yeah, good background artists that are happy to work on another persons project (and I don't blame them, I only enjoy my own projects) are hard to come by. I've offered between $500-$1,500 for a background artist for one of my projects and I still can't get anybody on board.
Maybve you wern't vocal enough.
Old 04-01-2004, 09:58 AM   #15
Escaped Monkey Island

I give mad props to anyone who makes an AG. I know that if i were to make a game as a side project, it'd probably look like garbage because i can't draw. maybe most programmers who write the games are in the same situation.

I want to see you make a great looking free game doppelganger rex if it's that easy.
Old 04-01-2004, 10:04 AM   #16
Puts the 'e' in Mark

I think it's pretty cocky to imply that someone hasn't tried hard enough if you haven't actually experienced looking for an artist yourself (unless you have and you didn't mention this ).
Old 04-01-2004, 10:24 AM   #17
Barroom hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger
Because programmers and scripters are a dime a dozen, and great background artists are nearly impossible to find.
Mmmmh. Maybe because they just don't want to donate their valuable time.

At work, we have the same trouble finding great programmers and great artists.
Old 04-01-2004, 01:03 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppelganger rex
I mean, why can't some people get together some promising artists and aanimatoers and jsut make something that looks real good, you know
BECAUSE THEY WILL MAKE THIS COMERCIAL! and this will not be "independent" any more; like Dark Fall
Old 04-01-2004, 03:27 PM   #19
Tactlessly understated

Send a message via AIM to Kingzjester

Quote:
Originally Posted by WontonGoodsoup
I give mad props to anyone who makes an AG. I know that if i were to make a game as a side project, it'd probably look like garbage because i can't draw. maybe most programmers who write the games are in the same situation.

I want to see you make a great looking free game doppelganger rex if it's that easy.
Hey sure, my game will rock. It is rocking along quote nicely.
Old 04-01-2004, 04:21 PM   #20
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

You...