Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   AG Underground - Freeware Adventures (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/ag-underground-freeware-adventures/)
-   -   Why are all indie games so bad looking? (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/ag-underground-freeware-adventures/2600-why-all-indie-games-so-bad-looking.html)

doppelganger rex 03-23-2004 01:09 PM

Riddle me this

Why are all independend adventure games so crappy looking? I mean, why can't some people get together some promising artists and aanimatoers and jsut make something that looks real good, you know, it deosn';t seem so hard, theer are good artists, writres and you know everywheers or so it seems, they just need to be milked? How hard is that? :confused:

guybrush_guy 03-23-2004 01:33 PM

if the purpsoe of you post was to make you sound like a jerk it worked. if you did'nt mean to sound like that i sugest that you change it. (thats how i read it)

it's not that simple. it takes a lot of time and planing. i have'nt maid one my self but i'm sure it's not as easy as your saying it would be

lemonhead11 03-23-2004 01:39 PM

Guybrushguys got a good point but I definitly would'nt say that all amateur games look bad. Some freeware games look great and keep in mind that goodlooking games like Tony Tough and Gilbert Goodmate started out as amateur projects.

Jake 03-23-2004 02:27 PM

Rex I suggest you go and find one of these many artists simply laying about, waiting to be "milked," and tell them you want them to make you 20 pieces of award winning background art for an obscure computer game that maybe 500 people will play, and be sure to tell him/her that you won't be paying them anything. Surely they will be instantly interested in the project and have an unending desire (and equally unending amount of free time) to dedicate to you. If its that easy.

I eagerly await your visually stunning freeware amateur adventure game.

Tramboi 03-23-2004 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake
Rex I suggest you go and find one of these many artists simply laying about, waiting to be "milked," and tell them you want them to make you 20 pieces of award winning background art for an obscure computer game that maybe 500 people will play, and be sure to tell him/her that you won't be paying them anything. Surely they will be instantly interested in the project and have an unending desire (and equally unending amount of free time) to dedicate to you. If its that easy.

Maybe he still has a point about the fact much more talented programmers/scripters are willing to produce near-professionnal quality work for free on their spare time than talented artists.
Don't know why though.

Zygomaticus 03-23-2004 02:42 PM

Haha!!111 *D

Erwin_Br 03-23-2004 03:29 PM

I think games such as Apprentice, Roger Foodbelly, Project Joe, and many others look pretty good. Some of them are commercial quality.

--Erwin

Maquisard 03-23-2004 03:45 PM

& Bad Timing, of course :D

Wormsie 03-24-2004 06:44 AM

Quote:

Ditto.

doppelganger rex 03-24-2004 09:08 AM

Quote:

Well, I'll just tell you this, i'll see waht I can do.

BerserkerTails 03-31-2004 04:50 PM

Doppleganger:

Have you even ever looked around at some of the fan games out there? Try AGDI (Formerly Tierra). Two beautiful, soon to be three, remakes of classic Sierra adventures. If I would've played those back in Sierra's hayday and someone told me they weren't made by Sierra, I would've called them a liar.

There are tons of projects with amazing looking graphics. Indiana Jones and the Fountain of Youth, Zak McCracken 2 (Whichever one you look at), and my own project Quest for Infamy.

Fan Adventures can have amazing graphics. But that isn't the selling point of them. I have played many games that are better than alot of commercial games with not so good graphics. Pleurghburg: Dark Ages by Gaspop is one of them.

Stinger 03-31-2004 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tramboi
Maybe he still has a point about the fact much more talented programmers/scripters are willing to produce near-professionnal quality work for free on their spare time than talented artists.
Don't know why though.

Because programmers and scripters are a dime a dozen, and great background artists are nearly impossible to find.

Anyway, I second everything Jake said, except let me add that even offering money doesn't help in the quest for a good artist. Though maybe doppelganger is going to different forums than me...which I hope he'll post the URL to...

Toefur 04-01-2004 02:14 AM

Yeah, good background artists that are happy to work on another persons project (and I don't blame them, I only enjoy my own projects) are hard to come by. I've offered between $500-$1,500 for a background artist for one of my projects and I still can't get anybody on board.

doppelganger rex 04-01-2004 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toefur
Yeah, good background artists that are happy to work on another persons project (and I don't blame them, I only enjoy my own projects) are hard to come by. I've offered between $500-$1,500 for a background artist for one of my projects and I still can't get anybody on board.

Maybve you wern't vocal enough.

WontonGoodsoup 04-01-2004 09:58 AM

I give mad props to anyone who makes an AG. I know that if i were to make a game as a side project, it'd probably look like garbage because i can't draw. maybe most programmers who write the games are in the same situation.

I want to see you make a great looking free game doppelganger rex if it's that easy.

Marek 04-01-2004 10:04 AM

I think it's pretty cocky to imply that someone hasn't tried hard enough if you haven't actually experienced looking for an artist yourself (unless you have and you didn't mention this :) ).

Tramboi 04-01-2004 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stinger
Because programmers and scripters are a dime a dozen, and great background artists are nearly impossible to find.

Mmmmh. Maybe because they just don't want to donate their valuable time.

At work, we have the same trouble finding great programmers and great artists.

DREAMWEB 04-01-2004 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doppelganger rex
I mean, why can't some people get together some promising artists and aanimatoers and jsut make something that looks real good, you know

BECAUSE THEY WILL MAKE THIS COMERCIAL! and this will not be "independent" any more; like Dark Fall

Kingzjester 04-01-2004 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WontonGoodsoup
I give mad props to anyone who makes an AG. I know that if i were to make a game as a side project, it'd probably look like garbage because i can't draw. maybe most programmers who write the games are in the same situation.

I want to see you make a great looking free game doppelganger rex if it's that easy.

Hey sure, my game will rock. It is rocking along quote nicely.

Jake 04-01-2004 04:21 PM

You...