You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming AG Underground - Freeware Adventures Dage - New Free 3D Adventure Game Engine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2009, 02:08 PM   #1

Default Dage - New Free 3D Adventure Game Engine

Hello everyone!

My name is Pauli Suuraho and I come from Finland. I am a great fan of adventure games and spare-time software developer.

I would like to tell you about my current project, called Dage, which stands for Dog Adventure Game Engine.

Dage is still in development, but the goal is to make free standalone engine for creating full scripted 3d animated graphical adventure games. Let these screenshots explain the rest:

see the youtube video for more:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vwqGnne-1k

Got your attention?

Download the latest alpha from here (around 1.4M)

I have no meaning to create full game with Dage, well not yet. I want to create relatively easy-to-use game engine. See data/scripts folder for how the game logic works.

Current features:
  • 3D OpenGL render engine supporting hardware acceleration
  • Powerful scripting with Lua
  • Character animations
  • Characters can walk around and say things
  • Collision detection
  • Dynamic shadow casting
  • Support for 3DS with lightmapping
  • Texture support: BMP, JPG, TGA, PNG
  • Room model support: 3DS
  • Animation model: SMD (half life)
  • GUI creation
  • Picking up objects
  • Inventory
  • Animations
  • Music&audio
  • Cutscenes
  • GLSL Shader Language support

See Dage Documentation for scripting information.

I just want to make sure, that you understand that this is engine only. I might start working with editors someday soon.

Pauli Suuraho
Developer of Dage
Old 07-25-2009, 05:44 PM   #2

Very cool. Keep up the good work.
Old 08-01-2009, 05:31 AM   #3

Thanks orient

There have been updates like Conversations etc to the engine. Check the screenshots.

Quite a few responses, and over 100 views? Do I have to take that 3D adventures are not so interesting? I would really need some motivational speak that the adventure community needs more "traditional styled" 3D adventure games
Old 08-01-2009, 12:41 PM   #4
Game Creator Hobbyist

I don't you should interpret the few replies as lack of interest for a 3d engine. There could be many other explanations.

--

Personally, I think what you're doing is cool. (I think I've said so over at Adventure Developers) Even though I'm too busy with my own stuff at the moment (read: at least a couple of years) to experiment with 3d, it's something I'd like to do some day. At one time, I even played around a bit with Ogre (and some other stuff), but nothing ever came of it.
Old 08-01-2009, 05:46 PM   #5
Banned User

Come to think of it, I wanted to make a proof of concept for how Gabriel Knight 3 should have been made. Including high resolution models, redefined introduction, and more. Put my Gabriel Knight model to good use.

Since this site is mainly about playing adventure games than developing them, this place may not be the place for praise.

Looking at the AGS website, a lot of people like what your doing. I think that's good enough.
Old 08-01-2009, 08:08 PM   #6

Hi, thanks for comments.

I agree that this site is more about playing adventure games, rather than developing, but i just wanted to let the playing community to know that there might be quite a few indie 3d adventures coming this way

I don't solely seek for developers, but generally people interested in 3d adventure games, which still are quite a few in number. It's just that general interest motivates freeware development.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:51 PM   #7
Banned User

And that is absolutely great to hear!
Old 08-01-2009, 10:19 PM   #8

Rahakasvi,

do you have a plan to support Mac ??
that would be awesome.
One thing i always wish for a adventure game creator is to support all platform
Old 08-02-2009, 12:04 AM   #9

potan, actually yes, and linux too. I have tried to write (most of) my code so that it can be easily converted to mac and linux versions. And now by saying this, I know I will cry blood trying to convert the code Lua is already available, also soundlibrary I use. OpenGL of course too.

But anyway I realise ports to linux and mac would be a massive increase of userbase.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:54 PM   #10
Banned User

Potan has a good point. Not to mention, one thing AGS needs to do is support more platforms, including the iPhone.

Edit: Rahakasvi, is it possible to make a 360 panoramic game using Dage? The reason I ask since this is a 3d engine is the fact that it would be best to use for spherical panoramic movement.

If so, then I might find use for this sooner than I think.

Last edited by kadji-kun; 08-02-2009 at 10:12 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:51 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadji-kun View Post
Edit: Rahakasvi, is it possible to make a 360 panoramic game using Dage? The reason I ask since this is a 3d engine is the fact that it would be best to use for spherical panoramic movement
If you are referring style, that you view the world through main character and you drag and drop camera (first person view) then yes, it is doable. Needs little scripting, but I could do helper functions to help developing such case.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:45 AM   #12
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahakasvi View Post
If you are referring style, that you view the world through main character and you drag and drop camera (first person view) then yes, it is doable. Needs little scripting, but I could do helper functions to help developing such case.
Helps would be much appreciated, but I'll check out the engine when I get some time.

EDIT: I'm really liking the script system. The interpreter is close enough to C++ for me to understand.

Last edited by kadji-kun; 08-03-2009 at 12:04 PM.