Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   AG Underground - Freeware Adventures (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/ag-underground-freeware-adventures/)
-   -   Looking for softwares to make video games (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/ag-underground-freeware-adventures/25126-looking-softwares-make-video-games.html)

OriginalGagBonkers 07-15-2009 04:40 PM

Looking for softwares to make video games

Hey everyone. A few of my friends and myself are trying to get into the video game bizz. Some of us have different tastes but one of those tastes is doing adventure games{like LSL and Sam and Max}, so I'm looking for software/softwares that are capable of making

Platform
First-person shooter
third-person shooter
Graphic adventure
Beat-em up
RPG
Run and shoot
racing

One of my friends wants to do something with 2D and 3D graphics so were looking for some software. So if you could help us out that would be very grateful.

Trumgottist 07-16-2009 01:28 AM

There are a couple of adventure game engines around that are good choices for doing 2d adventure games, but it doesn't sound like you want any of those. While they can be abused to create something else than adventure games, that's not ideal considering your requirements. They're made for adventure games, and that's what they're good at.

Do you know any programming languages? If not, learning one is a good place to start.

Modding a game might be another option for you, depending on what it is you want to do.

Be prepared for a lot of work, but the work can also be fun at times, so if you're prepared to give it a lot of time and patience, it'll be worth it.

J.H 07-17-2009 04:14 AM

Wintermute and AGS are probably the best for adventure games, also try lassie.

lankoski 07-17-2009 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OriginalGagBonkers (Post 516857)
One of my friends wants to do something with 2D and 3D graphics so were looking for some software. So if you could help us out that would be very grateful.

Check out Unity. It is a development environment for 3D games, but has been used for creating 2d games, and you can create mentioned kinds of games with it. Some programming and modeling skills are required.

Trumgottist 07-17-2009 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mapoco (Post 517011)
Wintermute and AGS are probably the best for adventure games

My MacBook disagrees. (It runs SLUDGE.)

J.H 07-19-2009 04:49 AM

The most popular are AGS and WME though, personally I find them the best after using many but I'm yet to use SLUDGE I'll check it out.

celina 07-23-2009 06:44 PM

Hello All,
it doesn't sound like you want any of those. While they can be abused to create something else than adventure games, that's not ideal considering your requirements. They're made for adventure games, and that's what they're good at.
thanx
celina

interview questions