You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming AG Underground - Freeware Adventures Any plans to make an amateur Loom sequel?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2004, 06:58 AM   #1
Multi-dimensional avatar

Default Any plans to make a Loom sequel?

It wasn't the longest, most involved game of the past, still, it had a compelling storyline, and if somebody could write a decent sequel, I imagine it wouldn't be all that difficult to code. Has it been tried yet?
Old 03-14-2004, 07:29 AM   #2
Prove it all night

Send a message via MSN to James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dervish
I imagine it wouldn't be all that difficult to code.
explain how.
"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible." - Thomas Edward Lawrence
Old 03-14-2004, 07:39 AM   #3
Retired Buccaneer

Default Re: Loom Sequel

LucasArts' original plan was to have the Loom series be a trilogy.

The second game, called Forge, starred Rusty Nailbender, the young boy of the Blacksmiths' Guild whom Bobbin met in the first game.

Rusty's goal was to rescue his father, the guild's foreman, from the floating prison which was controlled by the Dead Ones. This cloud-shaped prison, seen at the end of Loom, once had been the Forge, fortress of the Blacksmiths.

Rusty would be helped along the way by Bobbin's spirit, which would show up to give advice, in a manner similar to Obi-Wan Kenobi in Star Wars.

The third game was called The Fold. It was supposed to star Fleece Firmflanks, the Shepherd woman Bobbin met in Loom. I'm not sure about the plot here, unfortunately.

LucasArts unfortunately cancelled both games because Loom's sales were lower than expected and the sequels were deemed sort of a waste of money.
Proof that the Sales Department has been doing its insidious work in LEC for over ten years.
Old 03-14-2004, 08:20 AM   #4
Multi-dimensional avatar

What a shame ... it would have been nice to know what would be in "The Fold". Do you have any idea if the Forge would have been a classic Scumm style adventure game, or if Rusty had to craft things in order to advance in the story?
Old 03-14-2004, 12:23 PM   #5
Munior Jember

You'd think these games would be a little more financially feasible now, because of the sucess of the Lord of the Rings movies. But I doubt Lucas is even thinking along those lines right now.
I personally loved Loom. I was totally engrossed while playing it, it was so good. Anyhow, I know Lucas is really anal about its IP so I doubt anyone making an amature game based on Loom would get very far.
Old 03-14-2004, 12:34 PM   #6
Irritant F0rum Beasty

I've just started playing this game, and I don't quite get it. Is it right that I should be walking around trying every tune I have learned with every object? And was it a mistake to dive right into expert mode?
Old 03-14-2004, 01:05 PM   #7
Multi-dimensional avatar

Bumstead: I agree that LEC can be anal, but look at the 256 color re-make of Zak McCracken, or the ZMC sequels. Unless something happened that I didn't hear about, the creators were able to create and distribute these unhindered (although understandably, they only release the 256 version as a modification patch which requires the original game, which they do not provide to you).

TheSeed: That is proper, yes. Try all the drafts on every object, and you may find some interesting results. Try expert mode only if you have no problem distinguishing notes. Each time you receive a new draft from an object, try it out to see if it works (Bobbin will say "hmm, I guess that isn't a draft" if it truly is not a draft, if you try a draft you haven't been introduced to yet, he will say he didn't do it quite right). Sometimes you'll receive drafts that are one note too high, but you should be able to figure it out nonetheless.

Are you using the CD version? The voice acting is quite decent (name one CD-ROM game of that time period that surpassed the theatrical effect), and the music is extraordinary.

It's a very simple, easy to finish game, but I enjoy playing it every few months to one year, nonetheless.

EDIT: OK, so Zak 256 was something LEC made for a Japanese console, apparently. But fans still made a sequel!

Last edited by Dervish; 03-14-2004 at 01:33 PM.
Old 03-14-2004, 01:24 PM   #8
Irritant F0rum Beasty

Quote:
TheSeed: That is proper, yes. Try all the drafts on every object, and you may find some interesting results. Try expert mode only if you have no problem distinguishing notes.
Ah, I knew i was doing something wrong, I have no idea what music notes sound like. So how is Standard mode different then?

Quote:
Are you using the CD version? The voice acting is quite decent (name one CD-ROM game of that time period that surpassed the theatrical effect), and the music is extraordinary.
Actually i'm using the illegally downloaded version but yes, it is the CD version, incidentally when was this version released, because the game came out in 1990, and I don't think they were using CD ROM's back then. were they?
Old 03-14-2004, 01:37 PM   #9
Multi-dimensional avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Seed
Ah, I knew i was doing something wrong, I have no idea what music notes sound like. So how is Standard mode different then?
Easy mode shows exactly which musical note is being played, standard shows which section of the distaff glows (and you can observe that to know exactly which note is being played), and expert, is "playing the game by ear".

Quote:
Actually i'm using the illegally downloaded version but yes, it is the CD version, incidentally when was this version released, because the game came out in 1990, and I don't think they were using CD ROM's back then. were they?
1990, they released the 16 color version. 1992, LEC and some other company put out the 256 color CD ROM "talkie" version. The 16 color version is available in Lucasarts "classics" collection, while the CD ROM version is out of print, but available on ebay from time to time (one is available right now, for 19.95, but I think the auction is finished today).

Last edited by Dervish; 03-14-2004 at 01:44 PM.
Old 03-14-2004, 02:19 PM   #10
Dungeon Master

I started Loom two months ago or so, arrived at Crystalgard, but had to stop because of lack of time. Since then I've devoted my playing time to other games, which is quite strange, beacuse I loved what I'd seen so far of this enchanting game (I guess I'll get back to Loom next week).

Anyway, I hope nobody, save Brian Moriarty, is planning to create sequel - be it an amateur or present-day Lucasarts (*shudder*).
Old 03-14-2004, 05:14 PM   #11
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Every so often, someone over at the AGS forums proposes a Loom sequel, but nothing ever seems to come of it.

By the way, it's nice to see a bunch of other people who enjoyed Loom. It seems to be one of LEC's more overlooked older titles, but I really thought it was one of the most atmospheric and indefinably magical adventure games I've played.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 03-14-2004, 09:46 PM   #12
gaybrush threepwoody

Send a message via AIM to eriq Send a message via Yahoo to eriq

Yup! Loom is one of my favourites too! Those graphics... oooooh!
Old 03-14-2004, 10:05 PM   #13
Citizen of Bizarro World

Dervish...you make what Max did to that kitten seem even worse!

Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 03-15-2004, 12:39 AM   #14
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
By the way, it's nice to see a bunch of other people who enjoyed Loom. It seems to be one of LEC's more overlooked older titles, but I really thought it was one of the most atmospheric and indefinably magical adventure games I've played.
BTW, I actually tried this masterpiece mostly because of the extraordinary praise it got on The "I Love Loom" Thread. So it's also your recommendation, remixor, that made me play it. Thanks!
Old 03-15-2004, 03:20 AM   #15
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
BTW, I actually tried this masterpiece mostly because of the extraordinary praise it got on The "I Love Loom" Thread. So it's also your recommendation, remixor, that made me play it. Thanks!
I've made a difference!

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 03-15-2004, 04:14 AM   #16
AGA
AdventureGameAficionado

No! No! No!

* AGA explodes in a big ball of Loom-hatred
Old 03-15-2004, 10:16 AM   #17
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGA
No! No! No!

* AGA explodes in a big ball of Loom-hatred
As a musician, I loved Loom. As an adventure game, though, I found it very easy.

Still good, though.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 03-15-2004, 10:36 AM   #18
Irritant F0rum Beasty

I'm really getting into this now, so much so that I think I'm going to re open my search for the rest of Lucasarts ancient relics.

Who would have thought someone could make an interesting game out of a wee dude who plays music on his stick, it's baffling, it really is.
Old 03-15-2004, 10:49 AM   #19
Multi-dimensional avatar

Loom is interesting primarily because of one of the strongest storylines and use of atmosphere that I've ever seen in an adventure game, and a very unique interface. It takes an hour or so to complete, but nonetheless, I find myself coming back to this game every few months. And what other game came equipped with an audio drama (the voice actors of which later returned for the CD-ROM "talkie" version)?

I'm really surprised that someone else hasn't tried to copy this idea of using music to weave spells for a book or a game.

Quote:
Anyway, I hope nobody, save Brian Moriarty, is planning to create sequel - be it an amateur or present-day Lucasarts (*shudder*).
True enough ... but with LEC holding the rights to it, I doubt BM will ever touch it. Although, I would be nice if he ever came forward and told us a little about what he was planning for sequels (something that other designers have done for unfinished series).

I wouldn't mind a prequel, though. Something taking place during the golden age of the Weaver guild ... sort of like what KOTOR is to Star Wars.
Old 03-15-2004, 03:26 PM   #20
AGA
AdventureGameAficionado

Quote:
I'm really getting into this now, so much so that I think I'm going to re open my search for the rest of Lucasarts ancient relics.
For your reference, here's a complete list of LEC's adventure games:

Maniac Mansion (original)
Maniac Mansion (enhanced)
Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders (original)
Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders (enhanced)
Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders (256 - FmTowns)
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (256)
Loom
The Secret of Monkey Island (EGA)
Loom (256 color CD version)
The Secret of Monkey Island (VGA Floppy)
The Secret of Monkey Island (VGA CD)
Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's revenge
Indiana Jones 4 and the Fate of Atlantis
Day Of The Tentacle
Sam & Max
Full Throttle
The Dig
Curse of Monkey Island
Grim Fandango
Escape from Monkey Island