Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   AG Underground - Freeware Adventures (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/ag-underground-freeware-adventures/)
-   -   Who is using Wintermute (WME) ? (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/ag-underground-freeware-adventures/2354-who-using-wintermute-wme.html)

Marek 03-07-2004 12:34 PM

Who is using Wintermute (WMI)

Just curious, who is using WMI for his game?
I started using it for a project this weekend and I find it very easy to use. I still need to get a hang of some of the syntax/structure, but I'm making progress faster than I thought I would.

guybrush_guy 03-07-2004 01:00 PM

explain what this wintermute/WMI is, please

Marek 03-07-2004 01:04 PM

http://www.dead-code.org/index.php/en

ClémentXVII 03-07-2004 01:07 PM

I'm using it, and find it very easy to use.

As we're not very far in the scenario, we're not using it extensively at the moment, but I found it much easier to use than AGS.

RLacey 03-07-2004 01:52 PM

I'm downloading it to take a look, but my coding abilities suck royally.

Marek 03-07-2004 02:43 PM

As LaceyWare just pointed out to me, WMI of course has to be WME.....

eriq 03-07-2004 04:50 PM

I have started building my game using AGS. I just wanted an opinion on engines from those using different engines such as this WMI. What are some advantages and disadvantages to each?

I find AGS pretty simple so far. I'm going to need a programmer to help me out somewhere down the line to script more complicated actions but this WMI looks promising. I'm downloading it now...

AGA 03-07-2004 05:19 PM

I can't speak for the other engines, but AGS is totally customisable. There's nothing you can't do (assuming you wanna work in 2d :P) with it, with enough effort. It even has a plugin capability, so anyone can modify the engine in whatever way they want. Scripting doesn't have to get complicated though - I made my first AGS game using only the simplest commands, all stuff found in the 'getting started' tutorial in the AGS help file. It all depends what you wanna do, really :)

eriq 03-07-2004 05:31 PM

What about the "coin interface"... can AGS do that? I really like the Curse of Monkey Island interface type. The older Sierra icon interface is OK but the context sensitive menu seems much more refined.

What do you think?

AGA 03-07-2004 05:49 PM

Heh, the opportunities to pimp my games are endless in this thread :P

My latest game has a verbcoin that's very similar to CMI's. This can be done with a lot of scripting, but fortunately there are tutorials and pre-made templates you can use to make it easy on yourself (like I did),

DREAMWEB 03-07-2004 06:04 PM

WME is really grat! I made my game: Sofia's Debt with it, you can see the result: http://www.justadventure.com/Indepen...ofiasDebt.shtm
The FRED DEMO, made with it is GREAT!
The AGS quality is limited, you can do Semi-profesionl games with WME like Dark Fall, Monkey 3 or even better.

AGA 03-07-2004 06:20 PM

I don't wanna get into a 'my engine is better' argument here, but what makes you say AGS's quality is limited?

By the way, there are only two commercial amateur adventures (if you see what I mean) that I know of - Eye of the Kraken (made in AGAST) and The Adventures of Fatman (made with AGS). Fatman is much, much, much better.

eriq 03-07-2004 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AGA
My latest game has a verbcoin that's very similar to CMI's. This can be done with a lot of scripting, but fortunately there are tutorials and pre-made templates you can use to make it easy on yourself (like I did),

excellent! A stick figure game. How unique!

Do you have a link to the downloadable tutorial or resource plugin that will teach me how to create a verb coin interface?

Zygomaticus 03-07-2004 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AGA
I don't wanna get into a 'my engine is better' argument here, but what makes you say AGS's quality is limited?

By the way, there are only two commercial amateur adventures (if you see what I mean) that I know of - Eye of the Kraken (made in AGAST) and The Adventures of Fatman (made with AGS). Fatman is much, much, much better.

Really? I thought Kraken was really good; more enjoyable than Fatman. Of course, I'm only speaking from having played their demos. Unfortunately, I bought neither game.

btw, maybe you guys already knew this, but I believe the guys working on Their Still Unnamed Project Joe, are using Wintermute.

Deshrill 03-08-2004 12:06 AM

Looks interesting, I'll have to check it out.

I've just barely messed around with AGS and found it easy to use, but found the tutorial to be lacking. I would mess around with it more, but I'm very busy with college and am teaching myself RPG Toolkit 2.0 and Game Maker 5.0 because this summer I'll be teaching classes in RPG Game Design and Action Game Design to kids at Emagination Computer Camps in Boston!

AGA 03-08-2004 12:09 AM

Eriq:

Check this thread. There are a few other similar systems hanging around if that one's too difficult/confusing, lemme know...

Kode:

I found Kraken to be very... sloppy. It had an overall air of unprofessionality, although I do admit I quite enjoyed the game itself. Fatman was definitely the more 'commercial quality' game in my mind though...

Wormsie 03-08-2004 12:20 AM

The Curves of Danger is using WME. (I'm a programmer in that project).

I have expressed my opinions about WME before. Thay were rather harsh, so I'd rather not repeat them... But to be fair, WME is one year old, when compared to AGS and Agast who are 4 years old or even older.

From my experience, no engine is perfect - if only because there are so different types of game developers. For example, I'm rather against heavy graphical user interfaces in programming environments.

AGA 03-08-2004 12:27 AM

You're... against GUIs?! So you only like playing parser adventures? (which can be done in AGS quite easily btw :P)

Wormsie 03-08-2004 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AGA
You're... against GUIs?! So you only like playing parser adventures? (which can be done in AGS quite easily btw :P)

See the edit.

remixor 03-08-2004 01:38 AM

Regarding your edit: why?