You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2008, 12:12 PM   #1
Scavenger Adventurer

Default Art

Do you people think this art is good enough for an freeware adventure?
Or should I continue learning(The photo of Liam is just a joke).
Attached Images

Old 08-17-2008, 01:16 PM   #2
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

I don't believe in the concept of art being "good enough" for a game, freeware or otherwise. Art is a means of self-expression, and that can take on any style you want, whether it's Disney quality, retro pixel art, a child's crayon scribbles, stop-motion animation, paper doll-like cutouts, a gritty black and white style reminiscent of a graphic novel, or anything else you can think of.

That said, some styles do indeed require more mastery of technique than others, so it really depends what kind of a mood and atmosphere you'd like to evoke. What style are you aiming for in this particular game?
Old 08-17-2008, 03:26 PM   #3
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

The art looks clearly amateurish, but it certainly is workable if you don't have time to improve yourself as an artist. However, if you'd like to become better, here are a couple of my recommendations.

First of all you should work on the color palette to be more pleasing to the eye and atmospheric. The colors you used together create quite a bit of chaos and no particular emotion. Also it is generally not good (and that goes for any art) to leave large, uninteresting empty spaces in your picture (like blank walls, ceilings etc.). I know it's very time-consuming to fill everything with detail, but at least put some large, interesting shapes in there.

In general try to get inspiration from paintings, professional photos, movies as far as colors, perspective and composition of objects on the picture goes - you will much improve the overall esthetic effect of your work and you can even learn how to elicit some specific moods in the viewer.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:25 AM   #4
Freeware Co-ordinator

There is a highly regarded humorous game in a post-apocalyptic setting with a very similar art style. Consistency is probably more important (assuming a single overall setting) as well as how it fits the tone of your game (the style wouldn't suit a realistic post-apocalypse game for example)

The game title will come back to me if I think hard enough (or look for where I installed it on my home machine)
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 08-19-2008, 12:00 PM   #5
Freeware Co-ordinator

The game I was referring to was Aftershocked!. I think it's an AGS game but I can't check because, as another thread in this forum testifies, the AGS site is having database issues at the moment.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 08-20-2008, 09:19 AM   #6
Under pressure.

It is an AGAST game, actually: http://www.adventuredevelopers.com/g...view&gameid=32

--Erwin
Old 08-20-2008, 11:47 AM   #7
Game Creator Hobbyist

I just have one thing to add…

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfcwilson View Post
Or should I continue learning
To continue learning is always recommended. (I would have answered that even if you'd have painted something at the level of a Rembrandt.)