You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2008, 08:50 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to MusicallyInspired Send a message via MSN to MusicallyInspired
Default King's Quest II SCI

KQ2SCI Website

I don't know if many people know about this yet, but I thought I'd post it anyway. I'm working on a straight simple remake of King's Quest II in the SCI0 engine with SCI Companion (an alternative to SCI Studio). Thus far I've done the whole thing entirely on my own except for (extensive) help by others with helping me understand the SCI scripting language and a few black and white sketches a friend made for me to trace over because I don't really have much confidence in my own artistic ability at this point.

The reason why I'm doing this is simple: I want to write my own adventure games. So I thought I'd get the basics out of the way first by remaking an already existing one. I've made a lot of progress since I've started and have learned much about art, music, and programming in the process, so thus far my initial plan has been a success.

It will be in the same style that Sierra's remake of King's Quest 1 was; 16-colour dithered 320x200 graphics and a parser interface with simple mouse interactions as well, though I may integrate a full P&C style interface as an alternative. I haven't decided yet. Input would be appreciated on this. I'll also be writing a brand new soundtrack completely from scratch, since that's what I like to do best. The game is also playable up until acquiring the oil lamp and the 3 other objects you get as a result.

Since it's using Sierra's SCI0 engine the game can be playable on a new computer with DOSBox/FreeSCI or also an old computer running DOS. Its system requirements are basically whatever any original Sierra SCI0 game (SQ3, KQ1, KQ4, Camelot, etc) requires. Also, since it's just fun to do, it will support PC Speaker, Tandy 3-Voice, Adlib, Sound Blaster, and even MT-32 sound. The lucky people who still own an MT-32 midi module will get to play the game the way it was meant to be heard, like all original Sierra games . But I'll be posting the MT-32 soundtrack on my website alongside the game once it's done so you can still hear it.

Once it's done I'll probably have 2 separate downloads; one with just the basic game files for you to run take and play it however you please and another one bundled with DOSBox and pre-made game shortcuts/configuration files so you don't have to worry and sweat over getting it to run properly with DOSBox.

It's still far off and I'm doing this in my spare time but here's a couple gameplay videos that I posted on YouTube to get an idea of how it runs/looks so far.

Introduction Video
Gameplay Video

Last edited by MusicallyInspired; 04-25-2008 at 08:55 AM.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:20 AM   #2
True blue adventurer

Send a message via AIM to Luke Send a message via MSN to Luke
Default Looking good!

Looking good Brandon! Keep us posted!
Old 05-23-2008, 06:11 PM   #3
Banned User

It looks great, I just hope VU interactive doesn't start lobbing form letters at you. Now that Sierra is just a bought name they care nothing of their games other than when they can re-release them and make money. Unlike the star control 2 remake, where the company has long since been dissolved...

Codeguru
Old 05-23-2008, 08:38 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to MusicallyInspired Send a message via MSN to MusicallyInspired

Yeah, I'm not too worried though. I don't think they'll care very much for a remake of a long dead game remade on a long dead engine (look at the Space Quest fanmade AGI games). It's not going to get that much attention. But, hey, you never know. And if they do contact me I'll just have to discontinue it. I've learned a lot already so in that case I'll just take what I've learned onto an original project.
Old 05-25-2008, 08:12 AM   #5

The screenshots look great. I love 16 color graphics.

I suggest sticking with the parser interface. A few years back, KQ2 was remade and updated to 256-color graphics with a point and click interface (very similar to KQ5 interface). I think you should try to distinguish your remake from that one. Also, there just aren't enough parser games coming out. It's a really cool way to interact with a game if it's done well.