You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2008, 04:23 AM   #1

Default DIY or DIO

Hi, the DIO in the title refers to Do It Ourselves. Ive been thinking about this a lot and i would like to challange you all to come up with you/our own adventure. Im sure that there is enough talent and imagination out there to come up with an adventure of all adventures. Lets start off by giving this masterpiece a name, then we can build on the rest. Im sure as we add to this adventure its going to go down some very weird and wonderful avenues but hey, have you ever been on an adventure which hasnt. Who knows this might just end up out there as one of the all time greats. Is anyone up for it!!! If so post a suggestion for a name and we can have a vote, then main characters, plot etc will follow. Who knows this might end up the best online adventure of all time.
Old 04-13-2008, 04:35 AM   #2
Freeware Co-ordinator

I think you'll find that the forum I've moved your thread to is full of people who have "Done It Themselves". You might also want to check out the Undeground section of the main site.

I'm not convinced you'll get a lot of support for a community made game but you never know so I'll leave the thread up just in case.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 04-13-2008, 09:53 AM   #3
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

There's plenty of talent and imagination out there, yes, but sadly, not nearly enough discipline and hard work. Good luck in your quest.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:41 AM   #4
SSH
Super Scottish Hero

You could always try and ressurrect SPHINX...
Old 04-13-2008, 12:35 PM   #5

Hey guys, I have no programming skills, no artists, no writers, and no idea what I'm doing. Let's make a game.
Old 04-13-2008, 04:16 PM   #6
King Silly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thello View Post
Hey guys, I have no programming skills, no artists, no writers, and no idea what I'm doing. Let's make a game.
Regardless the obvious sarcasm, I Imagine this is the case with many amateur adventure games.

Can speak only for myself now, but I had zero programming skills, never been a writer and pretty crappy with craphics ( MS paint level tbh XD )...but yet somehow I've managed to make 1 episode of joke adventure ( which I won't be planning to publish because it's pretty ridiculous), but I will publish demo of my more serious attempt this week.

My point being? These adventure game engines are very good and many of them made simple to use with great guides, communities and step-by-step tutorials - anyone with some logical skills and passion to make a game can learn to make an adventure game, even without aforementioned skills. I was positively surprised, because I thought I'd have no chance ever to make games like these, the thought always seemed too demanding and beyond me. Now when given it a shot with proper engine/s and guides, it can be learned by anyone really.
Old 04-13-2008, 05:59 PM   #7

Yes, but making a thread asking for somebody to make your game for you is a little bit different.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:51 PM   #8
Super Moderator

The original poster knows their intentions, but I got the impression he/she was putting the idea of a community project, which is something that was tried before (see SSH's post above). I trust others to make their own judgements if they would want to participate.

Last edited by Melanie68; 04-13-2008 at 08:28 PM.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:38 AM   #9
Game Creator Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky View Post
There's plenty of talent and imagination out there, yes, but sadly, not nearly enough discipline and hard work.
Or time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky View Post
Good luck in your quest.
Seconded.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:06 AM   #10
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumgottist View Post
Or time.
Right! That too.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:18 PM   #11

Hmmm.... i seem to have attracted a bit of unwanted sarcasm in my original thread but i can assure you that i am not trying to attract others into writing a game for me, it couldnt be more further from it. I was just trying to stir up a discussion as to how we as a community would or could plot an adventure using thoughts, imagination, ideas etc. Hope that might clear things up and if it is attracting the wrong type of replies then please retract my thread. Melanie68 and the two subsequient repliers hit the nail on the head. Thello, thanks for the encouragement.....