Space Quest 7 fan game has been cancelled by Vivendi - Page 3 - Adventure Forums
You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming AG Underground - Freeware Adventures Space Quest 7 fan game has been cancelled by Vivendi


 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2007, 08:57 AM   #41
Third Guy from Andromeda
 
Josho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 248
Default

Merricat,

You might want to re-examine the definition of a "logical fallacy." You may disagree with my opinion of the game publishers I've worked for, and you may prefer your opinion of the game publishers YOU have worked for, but an opinion you disagree with is not a "logical fallacy." My opinion is based on this:
A. I have worked for many, many major game publishers (did you read post #29 in this thread, in which I mentioned this? Did you think I was lying? I mentioned this prior to any of your posts attacking my opinion as a "logical fallacy"). In fact, I've worked for almost all of them.
B. I have been witness to frequent examples of short-sighted, political, and fear-based decision-making at each of these companies;
C. Therefore, one should not be surprised to find that these kinds of poor decisions are frequently made at most major publishers.

Not sure where you find a logical fallacy in that.

Also, you have twice now confused the issue of "personality clashes" and "hostile relationships" with my recognition that decisions that come out of these large companies are frequently poor ones. They are two completely separate issues that you may have equated because you're assuming that my low opinion of publishers has either caused, and/or resulted from, personality clashes or hostile relationships. That's an assumption on your part, and you have no evidence of it.

--Josh
Josho is offline  
Old 11-19-2007, 09:23 AM   #42
Backsliding Pagan
 
Merricat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New York state of mind
Posts: 528
Default

Josh, it is a logical fallacy--begging the question--to say that because most of X is a certain way, all of X is that way. It is a logical fallacy--appeal to emotion--to say that boo-hoo, certain businesses I worked with were stupid and mean and made decisions that I didn't like and they were stupid decisions and the reason for their ultimate downfall, and if you don't believe me, you're stupid and mean, too.

How can I know if you are lying? I don't know you, and I don't know your reputation. All I know is that I am reading an attempt to argue a case, and the argument doesn't hold up for me because you didn't provide any specific evidence until I dragged it out of you. And the reason I suggest that perhaps you have a problem relating effectively with people is that you have reacted emotionally, aggressively, and defensively to every comment I have made, when in fact, nothing I've said was meant as a personal attack on you, just the construct of your argument.
Merricat is offline  
Old 11-19-2007, 10:43 AM   #43
Third Guy from Andromeda
 
Josho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merricat View Post
Josh, it is a logical fallacy--begging the question--to say that because most of X is a certain way, all of X is that way.
I've never once used the word "all." I've pretty consistently said "most." And I've also always said the problem is greater in larger and older companies, which certainly connotes that I think the problem is lesser elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merricat View Post
It is a logical fallacy--appeal to emotion--to say that boo-hoo, certain businesses I worked with were stupid and mean and made decisions that I didn't like and they were stupid decisions and the reason for their ultimate downfall, and if you don't believe me, you're stupid and mean, too.
A logical fallacy and an appeal to emotion are two vastly different constructs. A logical fallacy is an incorrect CONCLUSION drawn from a set of premises (which may or may not themselves be faulty). An appeal to emotion is not even a conclusion, but a form of argument in which the arguer specifically avoids the use of logic (flawed or otherwise) and promotes emotion as the deciding factor.

And the whole "boo-hoo" thing? Where is that coming from? I have not once here lamented about my personal treatment at the hands of any publisher (or developer, for that matter).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merricat View Post
How can I know if you are lying? I don't know you, and I don't know your reputation.
Then ask, if you don't believe what I've said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merricat View Post
All I know is that I am reading an attempt to argue a case, and the argument doesn't hold up for me because you didn't provide any specific evidence until I dragged it out of you.
You asked once, and I complied immediately. I'm not sure how that constitutes having to drag it out of me. And I find it odd that suddenly my whole argument holds up better for you because I gave you one example of incompetence from one publisher in the industry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merricat View Post
And the reason I suggest that perhaps you have a problem relating effectively with people is that you have reacted emotionally, aggressively, and defensively to every comment I have made, when in fact, nothing I've said was meant as a personal attack on you, just the construct of your argument.
Provided you actually read what I wrote in message 29, you started off questioning the construct of my argument by actually questioning my integrity. You said, in effect, "I assume you're lying about your experience until you prove otherwise." You have phrased that in far more impersonal terms, but it's still attacking the argument by saying that without additional proof, I had to be assumed to be lying . Now you're "suggesting" that I have problems relating to people because of they I responded to you. A second personal attack, Merricat. Well played.

The last word is yours, as we've already strayed way too far afield. Go for it.

--Josh
Josho is offline  
Old 11-19-2007, 10:59 AM   #44
Backsliding Pagan
 
Merricat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New York state of mind
Posts: 528
Default

Josh, I taught Aristotle's principles of rhetoric at university for five years. "Because I said so" is not proof. If you make assertions, you need examples to support them. That's just basic rhetoric. Attacking the argument is not attacking the person making the argument. I do love having the last word. Let's make it...tennis.
Merricat is offline  
Old 11-19-2007, 08:10 PM   #45
Unreliable Narrator
 
Squinky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Le Canada
Posts: 9,873
Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky
Default

Die, Argument™!
__________________
Squinky is always right, but only for certain values of "always" and "right".
Squinky is offline  
Old 11-19-2007, 08:28 PM   #46
Super Moderator
 
Melanie68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Ohio
Posts: 8,907
Default

I think they were finished.
Melanie68 is offline  
Old 11-19-2007, 10:58 PM   #47
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 172
Default

Was anyone foolish enough to think this was actually going to be released anyway? Like every fan project that's "almost" done, be it Mother 3, Black Mesa Source, Policenauts, SQ7, or any ambitious undertaking with no funding, it pretty much never happens.

This was dead in the water from the get-go.
Thello is offline  
Old 11-22-2007, 07:18 AM   #48
Member
 
RPGCrazied's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 54
Default

I thought this was a dead project too? 85% done? I didnt even see any screenshots or anything.. I think they had some concepts or something.

They should've just changed the name of the title like the Kings Quest 9 did.
RPGCrazied is offline  
 



Thread Tools

 


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.