Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   AG Underground - Freeware Adventures (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/ag-underground-freeware-adventures/)
-   -   Writer's block :( suggestions? (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/ag-underground-freeware-adventures/21128-writers-block-suggestions.html)

MikaelS 10-16-2007 04:48 PM

Writer's block :( suggestions?

Not going in details about the story in my new project, just generally asking help.

I'm just stuck, most of the ideas feel silly and I have no clue how to continue the story. I have a lot of inspiration to draw and script those new locations, new puzzles et cetera, but the creative side of me is just hiding. :/ I have never been a writer really, but I'd like to think my imagination is pretty good. Just right now can't come up anything that would give some salt on my story.

I know it might be bit stupid question, but what do you do when you're just brainstorming and can't come up with anything good? How do you get those ideas, perhaps try get inspiration somewhere? Anything helps.

You don't have to be writing game to answer this, I suppose this is very universal question. ( writing books, articles etc) :D

LuigiHann 10-16-2007 08:26 PM

When I get writer's block, I usually play video games. It doesn't help, but it's fun :p

MikaelS 10-16-2007 08:50 PM

Yeah, I know what you mean. I mean I just literally WASTED my whole last night in frustration trying to force my thoughts in. Frustration = bad for creativity. I didn't even get anything done, eventhough I could've been at least making those dreaded animations or drawing locations that I know will be there for sure. Or I could've played some other indie adventures, which usually inspires me a lot.

I suppose I approached this thing in whole wrong way, I know the story should be 100% complete before you start making game. I'm just not too good writer, and I've actually gotten some good ideas while drawing rooms etc inspired by them. It's not too bad as long as it makes sense.

Melanie68 10-16-2007 09:15 PM

One thing I read in a book about writing (and Squinky talked about in her Adventure Architect articles-all her article links are on there) was focusing on your characters. What would your characters do in the places you've come up with. It may mean potentially not using some of your puzzles, but you may come up with some others.

Squinky 10-16-2007 09:44 PM

Take a break, and go out and do something fun. Preferably not involving games.

Trumgottist 10-17-2007 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikaelS (Post 444268)
I have a lot of inspiration to draw and script those new locations, new puzzles et cetera,

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikaelS (Post 444293)
I've actually gotten some good ideas while drawing rooms etc inspired by them.

That was what I was going to suggest.

Marek 10-17-2007 01:54 AM

Look for a transcript of Tim Schafer's lecture at Game Developer's Conference 2005 (I think? Or 2006?). Part of the talk was about how to sort of productively procrastinate and how to get out of writer's block.

Merricat 10-17-2007 06:40 AM

Don't let your creative expectations intimidate you. Facing the blank page can be paralyzing, if you let it. The thing about writing is that you sometimes have to write a lot of bad stuff before you get to the good. Write every day, even if it's awful; at some point, inspiration will take hold of you and if not, consider getting a partner to bounce ideas around with--some people find it easier to work if they have someone in on it with them. Oh, and drink coffee. Lots of coffee.
Some sincere--albeit unoriginal--thoughts on process.

MikaelS 10-17-2007 07:07 PM

Thanks a lot, everyone. Was very helpful. I managed to write everything but ending which I will worry about more once I've actually drawn/scripted that far and the point I wrote it thus far leaves room for creditable ending. I suppose my biggest problem is, that I am too demanding of myself yet I sometimes find myself reaching for the clouds that are...unreachable for me? If that made any sense. Difficulty of trying to write a plot for modern and realistic world is a lot more harder than fantasy/humor-based games, because things must make sense and be realistic in order the plot to keep it's creditability better. ( my opinion)

Quote:

Look for a transcript of Tim Schafer's lecture at Game Developer's Conference 2005 (I think? Or 2006?). Part of the talk was about how to sort of productively procrastinate and how to get out of writer's block.
I only found something summarized short. Something about him saying our biggest enemy is mediocrity and laziness which lives inside us all. Not sure if that's what you meant, but it sure was inspirational read. :)

Thankyouthankyou everyone, you were a great help. Especially the coffee-part was made of win. ;) It's a relief I can now get to the point.