You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2007, 10:54 PM   #21
Game Creator Hobbyist

What interface is that?
Old 08-20-2007, 03:52 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumgottist View Post
What interface is that?
The image I posted? Just a mock up. I envisage a Broken Sword style illustrated 3rd person adventure, but during conversations, large animated portraits of the speakers slide up on either side of the screen.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:49 AM   #23
Game Creator Hobbyist

I was referring to Catbert's post about wanting an adventure game with the interface of Deus Ex.
Old 08-21-2007, 05:44 AM   #24
DAVE

Improvement on it would be nice, but basically Deus Ex featured useful information and skills on the left and right side of the screen, compass on top, etc, and you interacted with the world by looking at objects which would highlight with brackets around them for you to use.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:36 AM   #25
Game Creator Hobbyist

Sounds similar to (for example) BS3 and MI4?
Old 08-22-2007, 11:24 AM   #26
DAVE

I'm still surprised that in the age of search engines people still can't investigate and dig a little on their own... sigh. Anyway, here's some screenshots to give you a better idea

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Bruteforce.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:DeusExscreen04.jpg

notice the brackets. They apply to world objects as well, and it's far easier to control them than in MI4 for instance because you control the character with the mouse, in first person. It should be easy to pick up on it and tweak it a little to adapt it to an adventure game.

Last edited by Dale Baldwin; 08-22-2007 at 12:09 PM. Reason: fixed smiley in link
Old 08-23-2007, 01:16 AM   #27

Deus Ex is probably one of the greatest games of all time.

It's a shame it's taken us all the time since then to the release of BioShock to get anywhere near it again.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:12 AM   #28
Game Creator Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbert View Post
I'm still surprised that in the age of search engines people still can't investigate and dig a little on their own... sigh. Anyway, here's some screenshots to give you a better idea
Sure, I could have found those Wikipedia images on my own, but that wouldn't tell me much about what it is about the DE interface that you like and would like to see in an adventure game. I was interested in knowing what you meant by your comment (and may even had asked the question if I was familiar with the game). I would not have guessed the brackets to be important.

So, to check if I've understood you correctly… The things you would like to see are:
  • Brackets rather than any other marker for highlighting selected objects. (Why?)
  • First-person view.
  • Mouselook.