You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2007, 08:39 PM   #1

Default Which Engine is Best for devel?

Hi guys,
I am leading a team of two graphic designers and three programmers and we are looking to develop an adventure game as an educational tool. I have looked at the Wintermute engine and have to say it looks OK but I thought I would ask the comunity in the know what the best options are. High on our priority list are "third person, point and click", "high resolution graphics 1025x768 or better", "good puzzle possibilities", "ease of use" and "2.5D".

I am happy to pay for an engine if it is very good and easy to use compared to a free one as long as the cost is not above say $500. Any more expensive and my budget is blown. This project will be a labour of love.

Any feedback would be great.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:38 PM   #2
Elegantly copy+pasted

Yeah, based on your requirements, WME seems like the best bet.

Of course, you could always use a general-purpose engine like Torque, but it would probably be more work because you would have to implement many adventure game concepts yourself. Or you could try to ask a suitable development studio if you could borrow their engine.

But if you don't have any major issues with Wintermute, that's what I would go with.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:10 AM   #3
Kung Fu Code Poet

I second that. WME makes 2.5d quite easy and I have been able to create sample project graphics with even so little as a copy of Blender and some Python scripts.