You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming AG Underground - Freeware Adventures Adventure Games for Learning English

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2007, 06:40 AM   #1

Default Adventure Games for Learning English

Hi All,

Are you aware of any small, short and most importantly free adventures games that could be used in an English Learning environment.

I'm thinking of something like text based, choose your fate - escape from the jungle / cannibals etc

Or short flash adventures that employ vocabulary that would be useful to a language teacher.

Any suggestions on where to look or what's available in the public domain would be great.

Cheers
Old 08-04-2007, 05:04 PM   #2

Hm. Your request reminds me of Tropic of Capricorn.
I hope it's the kind you search for.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:08 AM   #3
Game Creator Hobbyist

What level of English are you thinking about?
How old are the students?
Old 08-09-2007, 11:22 AM   #4

Default What levels of English are you thinking about?

Hi,

Aged fourteen and above is the general age group we're talking about. As for the level of English - from beginner to advanced.

The majority of English language software generally consists of rather dull VB style forms: Fill in the blanks, Odd one out, matching exercises etc

A short humorous adventure game with an emphasis on language rather than graphics; including some interesting descriptions would be a boon.

Ideally it wouldn't use infinitive sawn-off commands like "get pen" or "eat food". A Multiple choice menu such as the following would be preferable:

Should you................

(a) Accept the dwarf's invitation for a drink at his local tavern
(b) Politely refuse his request and continue searching for your kidnapped hamster
(c) Compliment the dwarf on his shiny axe

Any further suggestions would be most appreciated.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:29 PM   #5
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

I've actually written something like that here. The language is reasonably advanced (at least for a non-native English speaker), with a lot of colloquialisms, but check it out and see if it works for you.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:03 AM   #6
Game Creator Hobbyist

My thoughts went to Interactive Fiction (aka text adventures). Except for the commands in infinitive, they fit pretty good.

One game that came to mind was A Bear's Night Out, about which its author writes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dyte
During its lifetime, this game has found itself on a cover CD of Mac User, been used in classrooms as an educational aid, been recommended as a gift for blind children, been translated into German, and won 5th place in the IF Competition and a 1997 Xyzzy Award for Best Setting.
But I suspect 14 year olds may think they are too old for a game about a teddy bear. Maybe a superhero game is better? Or maybe Conan Kill Everything? (That one uses pretty easy English, and it's funny.)

(To play these games, you'll need an interpreter program, or "terp". If you're using a Mac I suggest Spatterlight. On Windows, you can try Gargoyle or Windows Frotz.)

Last edited by Trumgottist; 08-10-2007 at 06:09 AM.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:21 AM   #7

It's not ready yet, but my application, www.CircumReality.com might be useful 12+ months from now. Like text interactive-fiction, it uses narration and NPC conversations. Unlike text IF, it also uses text-to-speech to speak the narration and conversation, as well as employing graphics.

You can try it out now, but it's (a) still too slow, (b) doesn't have good enough TTS, and (c) has very little content. If you're really ambitious you can write your own content.