You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming AG Underground - Freeware Adventures Fate by Numbers now available as free download

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2007, 01:57 AM   #21

Default black screen

Rowland,
that's a new error you've discovered. I didn't hear about a black screen before. The sound is correct, but apparently there's no image that goes with it. The codec shouldn't really matter since it is standard flash video. And when the music comes on you should have seen the menu, which is a png image.

Do you have trouble loading/playing other flash-games? I'll ask our programmer if he has any ideas what could have caused this.

Paul
Old 08-08-2007, 03:15 AM   #22
Game Creator Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
…on the 'to do' list, along with getting it to run on a mac.
A Mac version would be nice. It looks like something I might enjoy.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:47 AM   #23
Copyright holder.

Just thought I'd mention this too:

Once I exit the game, the "wave" slider in my volume control has been put right down at the bottom, so I can't hear anything else on my computer until I put it up again.

I tried it several times, and it's definitely the game that does it.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:09 AM   #24

Send a message via AIM to Legolas813

^ I can confirm this as well. My wave slider was also turned all the way down after playing.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:24 AM   #25
Psycho Game Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowland View Post
Hello! I've just downloaded this great game! I installed it, and I wanted to play it, but I can't saw anything, just a black screen. I heard some noises, like "Muhahahaha" or something like that, and then somekind of music.
I have Vista and the I have the last codecs (KLite Codec Pack 3.3.0).
Could you help me please, Bones?
Sounds like a video problem with Vista.

Try this :
Quote:
Click on the start button.Then click on Help and Support.A window will pop up.In the search box type "Program Compatibility Wizard"Then in the results click on Open Program Compatibility Wizard.When the wizard is open,click on the option that says I will choose program manualy.Click next then click on add Windows XP settings.You have to skip the next options.Simply click next.
See if that helps.
Mikes Room
Old 08-08-2007, 07:25 AM   #26

Quote:
Rowland,
that's a new error you've discovered. I didn't hear about a black screen before. The sound is correct, but apparently there's no image that goes with it. The codec shouldn't really matter since it is standard flash video. And when the music comes on you should have seen the menu, which is a png image.

Do you have trouble loading/playing other flash-games? I'll ask our programmer if he has any ideas what could have caused this.

Paul
Yes, it was the flash! Now the game is running perfectly! Thanks, Paul!
Old 08-08-2007, 08:28 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legolas813 View Post
^ I can confirm this as well. My wave slider was also turned all the way down after playing.
Same here actually!

And it was right after I installed a new sound card, which got me momentarily worried...
Old 08-09-2007, 09:54 AM   #28

Very nice game, thanks.

Last edited by Loki; 08-10-2007 at 10:01 AM.
Old 08-12-2007, 03:18 AM   #29
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Just a quick question in the end. Did you see one or two flashbacks? There are two. But you could miss one, I think, if you do some things in a different order.
Just one, the one that is displayed just after
Spoiler:
Alice is hit unconscious.

Also, reading other people's posts in the hint thread, I realised I've never been to the Boris's gunshop and I am not even sure whether that location ever appeared on my map. Is it possible it didn't?
Old 08-13-2007, 03:12 AM   #30

Default boris

It's possible to miss Boris his gunshop. It's part of a side story where you can try to figure out who shot you. I included this path to make the game feel less linear. It's not necessary for the main line, but was a nice set up for a next episode, if we ever get the chance to make it.

Paul

ps. Good to hear about the dark video solution. Also the sound issue is good to know. We probably have to update the webpage with a FAQ. Thanks people!
Old 08-13-2007, 08:17 PM   #31

But she never gets to know who shot her. Or did I miss something.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:48 AM   #32

Default shot

No, you don't find out who shot you. That was a big part of the episode 2 storyline. If there ever will be a episode 2 it will focus on that question and on the relationship with her father.

I made a short outline for three episodes and developed the first episode. Most of the characters were supposed to be recurring characters.

Paul
Old 08-21-2007, 09:12 AM   #33

I expected to like this game, but so far it's been nothing else but frustration with it. I have the same sound problem that was mentioned above - the sound balance is being shifted by the game all the way to the left. Problem is, the game doesn't even allow me to alt-tab so i can manually correct the issue.

It's a pity, for all the effort and talent that probably went into the game, to have people not even get into it because they get to frustrated in the first 10 minutes trying to figure out what's wrong with the sound and not being able to fix it.

I run winxp pro with the latest updates, my sound card is a Creative Audigy 2 sound blaster with the latest drivers and it has never caused me any troubles in any game ever ( i have it for a good amount of time now and i have played many many games).

Here's to hoping you fix the issue soon, as for the game, i can't tell you anything about it, i am not going to play it with only 1 of my headphone speakers on, it's frustrating.

EDIT: it's not switching only to the left, sometimes to the right too.
Workaround i thought of 3 seconds after i posted this: the game seems to only mess with the WAVE balance, so if , before i start the game, i shift the Playback balance half-way to the opposite side and increase the volume by 50% the problem is "solved".
You should still try to fix it though.

Last edited by Orthias; 08-21-2007 at 09:20 AM.
Old 08-25-2007, 03:50 PM   #34
MoP
Comfortably Numb

Sweet. I really enjoyed it, got sucked in by the atmosphere, the "dead end" lead was cool. Apart from the few technical issues and inconsistencies mentioned before, it's more than I'd expected from a free game, if a bit short one.
Great job <thumbsup>. Don't keep me waiting for Episode2 for too long, will ya?
Old 09-05-2007, 01:50 AM   #35

Default patch

A patch is now available to clear the Vista-issues. The patch should solve the 'save issue' and the soundproblem some of you were having. Also the patch fixes some minor consistency errors.

I hope this will work for the people who had problems running the game the way we wanted it to. Thanks.

The patch can be found on our homepage: http://www.fatebynumbers.com/

Paul van der Meer
Old 09-05-2007, 04:51 AM   #36

I second the desire for a Mac (non-Intel) version.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:43 AM   #37

Will there ever be an exe file uploaded somewhere. I don't want to mess around with an ISO ?

Cathy
Old 09-08-2007, 01:26 AM   #38
Game Creator Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGreenArt View Post
I second the desire for a Mac (non-Intel) version.
In that case, let's agree to wish for a Universal Binary. (Mine is an Intel.)
Old 09-12-2007, 12:49 AM   #39

Default patch

You don't have to mess around with an iso to install the patch, Cathy. If you installed the old version of the game, you can just download the patch file and run that. If you haven't downloaded the game, the updated total game download will have the patch already installed. But that is still an iso.
(gamershell still freely offers the old (non-iso) version)

Hope this works for everyone.

Paul

I'm still hoping for a mac version as well. But if this means that a lot has to be redone, it's not likely. I think a large part has to do with a software we use to run as a shell around the flash-programming. If that doesn't support mac, we can't do it.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:18 AM   #40

How much of the game is flash-based? Can it not be compiled as a SWF? That would make it playable on almost any platform.