You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2007, 01:33 PM   #1
I turn novels into games

Default why does BigBlueCup lock threads?

I suppose I should post this at BigBlueCup, but I don't know how things work over there, so it seemed easier to ask here. I'm following a certain thread with great interest, and the author just asked the mods to lock the thread. Nobody had said anything offensive. And I noticed that several other "games in production" threads were locked too. Why is this? Is it a bad sign?
Old 07-14-2007, 02:00 PM   #2
Dessert

A lot of "games in productions" threads are locked because of rules, either the poster doesn't post enough information about their game, or it has been bumped by someone other than the creator after 3 months.

I don't know why this specific thread has been asked to be locked, perhaps the game is no longer in production, or perhaps it's close to being finished and won't need the thread anymore.
Old 07-14-2007, 11:08 PM   #3
I turn novels into games

Quote:
Originally Posted by custard View Post
A lot of "games in productions" threads are locked because of rules, either the poster doesn't post enough information about their game, or it has been bumped by someone other than the creator after 3 months.

I don't know why this specific thread has been asked to be locked, perhaps the game is no longer in production, or perhaps it's close to being finished and won't need the thread anymore.
Thanks.

So it could be good news? I hope so. That game was due to be in late beta around now, and the author seemed to be serious about it. The last few posts were about a guy offering music, so I do hope the locking is a positive sign.
Old 07-14-2007, 11:59 PM   #4

Send a message via ICQ to Iv4n

This actually put in a place a big question (for me) - why their admins/mods are so... cruel?

One of the things I dislike the most in bigbluecup forums is that their moderators and their rules are too strict. Which, normally, drives back people from posting on their forum. Some of their rules are so stupid that no normal conversation can be made. For example, if you post something concerning specific thing in a game in a topic for a work in progress project which, normally, can also be little critic, than comes DarkManab and locks the whole thread! Why? Because "it's not the critic lounge here"?!? So dull. And why if someone is making something fun in a topic, the holy mod/admin decided it's not funny and delete it or try to change the direction of the topic? I mean there are the rules, but something funny won't harm anybody. Instead, it will make the thread more interesting and fun to read. You can't be always strictly on a subject, right?

And there are more and more of those dull decisions of their mods and admins... Oh come on! The must be more freedom or it will be boring and annoying.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by custard View Post

In addtion, game creators can also ask moderator to lock thread also!
Old 07-15-2007, 02:58 AM   #6
I turn novels into games

Quote:
Originally Posted by splat44 View Post
In addtion, game creators can also ask moderator to lock thread also!
That is what happened in this case. But it seems a very strange thing to do. If your game is almost complete, don't you want more discussion, not less? Or at least post a link like "this thread is locked, but go to my homepage for the latest news." It just seems odd to lock promotional threads for no apparent reason.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:13 AM   #7

If you sign up for the boards, you can PM the author and ask him for the reason behind the lock.

As for conversations being locked unfairly by mods, I wouldn't call it cruel. Game in progress threads get locked frequently because they get bumped by people months, and in some cases years, after the last post asking for an update. In most cases, these games have been long since canceled and forgotten by there creators. It's logical to lock these threads to prevent them taking up space on the front page that could go to a game that's actually in development. Other times, game in progress threads get locked because they don't follow the forum rules in the first place that require two in-game screenshots, story summary, and some progress report. Those rules are there to prevent the frequent posts to the tune of, "Hi, my name's Dick! Nice to meet you! I started working on a game. It's called Crazy Bill and the Mystery of the Stuff. I hope it will be good!" Seriously, we get those all the time.

In other parts of the forum like the general discussion board, threads get locked when they're pointless, already covered by another existing thread, or have devolved into the standard internet thread full of insults and slurs.

I don't think those rules are unfair. They make the forum a much better place to go when you're looking for games, or just a good discussion because it weeds out the crap. It has also happened in the past that someone has PMed a mod to unlock a thread with a good reason, and it will be unlocked for further discussion. It's not an unfair or difficult system. The forums are actually quite welcoming as long as you don't insult people unnecessarily. Necessary insults welcome!
Old 08-02-2007, 08:24 AM   #8

Aye, It's not really cruelty or unfair. God knows how long you've been following the AGS forums but without the moderation it has now a lot of users would run amok. You'd be surprised. At least half the people there are probably under 16. I do agree though it's a bit of a shame that GIP threads get locked so quickly. I find I want to find out the progress on a game and sometimes people who aren't the actual developer DO have news on a games production, but it's hard to then ask about it cos the thread is locked. But still, its probably for the best.