You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2007, 12:32 PM   #41
In an evening of July...

Aww, those screens look gorgeous, too. Now I really can't decide...
Old 06-10-2007, 01:05 PM   #42
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolworthy View Post
Not yet, but they will look pretty much the same, although with slightly more detail. I'm working on some experimental sprites right now.
I think that if you were to post a full-sized in-game screenshot from the original style along with the same for the minimalist style, I'd be able to make a better comparison. I know, for instance, that SLUDGE doesn't support antialiased edges in sprites, so I suspect that the style won't look as smooth as what you've posted so far. Regardless, I think I'd still lean toward the minimalist style, because as a developer myself, I'm quite like you in that I prefer the quickest and easiest method possible in conveying my ideas across.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:49 PM   #43
I turn novels into games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky View Post
SLUDGE doesn't support antialiased edges in sprites, so I suspect that the style won't look as smooth as what you've posted so far.
EDIT: I'm pleased (and very relieved) to report that antialiasing works perfectly, and the edges look fine. I think the pale colors help a lot. For the best results I replaced the outermost white pixels with pale grey. The test results are here: http://www.lesmisgame.com/work_in_pr.../antialias.gif Obviously if you browser scales the image you'll need to click it to see it full size.

Last edited by Enter the Story; 06-10-2007 at 02:53 PM. Reason: I said I'd try antialiasing and now I have
Old 06-12-2007, 11:01 AM   #44
Under pressure.

The minimalistic style isn't bad, but it doesn't quite match together with the current theme you have on your website, and on the in-game menu's I've seen in your movie. (I'm talking about the book cover, the 'old looking' papers, the b&w photographs, sketches, etc...). But of course that can be changed as well (which would be my advice, might you decide to go ahead).

--Erwin
Old 06-12-2007, 12:06 PM   #45
I turn novels into games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin_Br View Post
The minimalistic style isn't bad, but it doesn't quite match together with the current theme you have on your website
It's looking like the new look game will have a new start, a new star, and much more. I'm doing some things I wanted to the first time round but couldn't for various reasons.

A lot of the existing stuff (the main character and the intro for example) was a compromise, and not how I really wanted to do it. Now I'm going to do it RIGHT.

I really apprecialte all the kind words about the old stuff, and I'll probably make the resources available for others to use (if they want), but the new stuff will be better. I've posted a ton of upgraded pictures and stuff on my blog:

http://lesmisgame.blogspot.com/
Old 06-12-2007, 12:25 PM   #46
Lazy Bee

You'll have to keep us updated about the progress of the new minimalistic artstyle game tolworthy.

I really like the picture of the woman by the window now it got some colour to it.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:18 PM   #47
I turn novels into games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena View Post
I really like the picture of the woman by the window now it got some colour to it.
Me too! Unfortunately it took ages to create, mainly because my original photos were very poor quality. I'll look into better quality photos from a stock photo site (goo dquality original photos are much easier to filter), but I think I may have great trouble finding enough pre-Victorian Paris slum images. I'll keep you posted!
Old 06-13-2007, 07:03 AM   #48
OB

I like both styles, but I prefer this newer one the best. It reminds me of my own style in regards to graphic design.

Here's a teaser trailer for a minimalist game called Limbo. It's not actual gameplay yet but it will most likely look like this in the end:

http://www.limbogame.org/
Old 06-13-2007, 08:07 AM   #49
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolworthy View Post
EDIT: I'm pleased (and very relieved) to report that antialiasing works perfectly, and the edges look fine. I think the pale colors help a lot. For the best results I replaced the outermost white pixels with pale grey. The test results are here: http://www.lesmisgame.com/work_in_pr.../antialias.gif Obviously if you browser scales the image you'll need to click it to see it full size.
Just saw this, and it's very pretty. I say go with it!
Old 06-13-2007, 10:18 AM   #50
I turn novels into games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Brat View Post
Here's a teaser trailer for a minimalist game called Limbo. It's not actual gameplay yet but it will most likely look like this in the end: http://www.limbogame.org/
That looks really nice. And gives me some ideas. Thanks! It's interesting to compare their "dark" look with the "light" look I want to achieve (but haven't quite got there yet). The musical Les Miserables has a very strong dark look as well (it's a look that works well in theaters). So I'm trying to get the opposite look. It's quite a challenge.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:23 PM   #51
I turn novels into games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena View Post
You'll have to keep us updated about the progress of the new minimalistic artstyle game tolworthy.
Okily Dockily! I've just uploaded new graphics to my blog:
http://lesmisgame.blogspot.com/

I think I've nailed the style I want. I'll blog about it maybe tomorrow, but right now it's late (in Britain anyway)
Old 06-14-2007, 04:13 PM   #52
Super Moderator

I haven't said anything about your new stuff. It's so gorgeous!! It's unique and so expressive. I love the coloring you've done with it as well.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:43 PM   #53
Lazy Bee

The way the colouring indicates mist in the picture with the houses by the waterfront is very nice. Even though it's a minimalistic style it still gives all the details you possibly could want.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:28 AM   #54
Under pressure.

I like it!

--Erwin