Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   AG Underground - Freeware Adventures (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/ag-underground-freeware-adventures/)
-   -   So how do you feel about slideshow type games? (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/ag-underground-freeware-adventures/19407-so-how-do-you-feel-about-slideshow-type-games.html)

Candle 03-30-2007 11:18 PM

So how do you feel about slideshow type games?

Do you find them less enjoy able with out the 3D and the free roaming in that type of game.
Or does it matter to you as long as the game is good to play?
Would you buy that type of game?
Just wondering..

Dasilva 03-31-2007 12:29 AM

Personally I hate slideshow type games, I think that style is so limiting and old. I'm all about interactivity with my surroundings not looking at a sttic image and then having cheesy transition effects. :)

Intrepid Homoludens 03-31-2007 12:32 AM

By slideshow do you mean 2D point-&-click?

Candle 03-31-2007 12:36 AM

Yes like the adventure maker style games.
Dasilva do you like the new sam and max games?

Dasilva 03-31-2007 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Candle (Post 402138)
Yes like the adventure maker style games.
Dasilva do you like the new sam and max games?

I think the sam and max games are good, a little limited interaction wise, but its a good style.

Squinky 03-31-2007 09:33 AM

If I'm so immersed in the game itself that I don't notice that it's a slideshow, then it's good to play. :)

Candle 03-31-2007 10:13 AM

Sam and Max games are just slide shows with the gif moving around the screen.

Trader 03-31-2007 10:33 AM

I love click and point games, my first one was Myth on an gaming system called DVO, I was hooked from then on.

Intrepid Homoludens 03-31-2007 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squinky (Post 402182)
If I'm so immersed in the game itself that I don't notice that it's a slideshow, then it's good to play. :)

:) That's exactly my sentiments as well.

:frown: Sadly, though, none of the adventures of the past few years (with the exception of the progressive and controversial Indigo Prophecy, Dreamfall, to some extent Missing: Since January, and maybe Still Life) have had that effect. Today I generally find the majority of recent and current adventure games pathetically dull, unimaginative, redundant, boring, stingy, and badly designed.

I'm literally praying that Once Upon A Time In Japan: Earth and Gray Matter turn out to be excellent.

Nautilus 03-31-2007 03:06 PM

If the game has a good story I don't mind if it's freezeframed or realtime3D.

Dasilva 03-31-2007 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Candle (Post 402190)

Its works, if your on a budget. If not why limit yourself to little animated gifs and stale backgrounds?

Candle 03-31-2007 04:09 PM

What I was trying to say Dasilva, is that most games are slide shows.

Squinky 03-31-2007 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Candle (Post 402190)

You mean the Telltale ones? No, actually, they're real-time 3D.

Candle 03-31-2007 07:18 PM

Characters right , backgrounds are just 2d backgrounds that work just like a side show.
You go from one scene to the next they are just a slide show with a 3D character moving around that scene .

Intrepid Homoludens 03-31-2007 08:35 PM

In other words you have no control over the camera, so in effect it might as well be a kind of slide show.

Candle 03-31-2007 09:01 PM

That about it . So when people say they don't like slide show games they just don't know what a slide show is.
Only true 3D game with no slide show type game would be like Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened or any of the FPS games etc etc.

DustyShinigami 04-01-2007 02:48 AM

Barrow Hill comes to mind. Whenever you look left, right, down or move forward it's just a slideshow; one scene after another. Scratches is another one but at least with that game you have control of the camera.