You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2007, 06:00 PM   #1
Psycho Game Maker

Default So will your game run in Vista.

Do you test in it?
Know anyone that could test it?
Maker of your engine says it will!
You don't care?
Mikes Room
Old 03-02-2007, 06:01 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Did you want this to be a poll?

Old 03-02-2007, 06:10 PM   #3
Psycho Game Maker

No I could do that was just kind of asking .
I know what I'm using has some problems with Vista and some of the scripts that work with sound.
Mikes Room
Old 03-03-2007, 05:58 PM   #4
Game Creator Hobbyist

I think it does, and as far as I know it should run fine, but I'm not aware of anyone that's tried it. (Personally, I've never even seen a Vista box.)
Old 03-03-2007, 06:00 PM   #5
Psycho Game Maker

I did try vista on a vmware but ran real slow on my machine.
Mikes Room
Old 03-04-2007, 06:02 AM   #6
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I shall see what happens with a whole load of stuff once I upgrade to Vista in what should be about a fortnight's time.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 03-04-2007, 09:49 AM   #7
AGA
AdventureGameAficionado

I've only tried one AGS game in Vista so far, and it kinda worked. 320x resolution didn't work; I had to force it to 640x. Everything else worked fine though. This was just one game, but it was a recent one, so the same stuff should apply to most newer AGS games, unless they use some wacky incompatible plugins.
Old 03-04-2007, 01:55 PM   #8
Psycho Game Maker

Thats good AGA, the game I'm working on now is in AGS .
Using one plugin so hope that works ok. ( flashlight)
Mikes Room
Old 03-04-2007, 02:46 PM   #9

Send a message via ICQ to Nautilus

Any game will run nicelly if some free virtual machine is installed
(Microsoft VirtualPC, QEmu, DOSBox, etc).

1) Install a virtual machine
2) Install an old OS in it (MS-DOS6, Windows95, WindowsXP)
3) Install the old game
4) Have fun!

VirtualPC: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...ily/virtualpc/
QEmu: http://www.h7.dion.ne.jp/~qemu-win/
DOSBox: http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/

Last edited by Nautilus; 03-04-2007 at 02:52 PM.
Old 03-04-2007, 02:53 PM   #10
Psycho Game Maker

But do will expect the user to do all of this so he /she can play the game we make?
Mikes Room
Old 03-05-2007, 05:44 AM   #11
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candle View Post
But do will expect the user to do all of this so he /she can play the game we make?
That's really the question isn't it. Will underground developers start having to put caveats of a game not being tested on Vista if they don't have access to a machine.

Virtual machines are always a possibility for the dedicated gamer but, as a developer, do you really want people to struggle to run your game? There are a lot of games out there so most people will just get something else rather than bother.

I know some of the early AGS stuff struggles under XP. Lunchtime of the Damned skipped straight to the closing scene (with dialogue but minus characters) when I played it on XP. Worked fine on my old 98 machine.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 03-05-2007, 12:33 PM   #12
Game Creator Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepurhan View Post
I know some of the early AGS stuff struggles under XP. Lunchtime of the Damned skipped straight to the closing scene (with dialogue but minus characters) when I played it on XP. Worked fine on my old 98 machine.
Those game makers have an easy solution available: Update the version of AGS used by the game, and then it'll run fine. That's the beauty of using a pre-made engine. All that technical stuff is taken care of for you. I don't understand why so many old games get problems. I certainly plan to do what I can to keep my old games running in the future.
Old 03-10-2007, 10:29 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candle View Post
It takes no more than 20 min to do it all. DOS/Win95/98 installs really fast on mondern machines running VirtualPC.
Old 03-11-2007, 01:31 AM   #14
I turn novels into games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nautilus View Post
It takes no more than 20 min to do it all. DOS/Win95/98 installs really fast on mondern machines running VirtualPC.
If the user has the original disks. Most have either mislaid them, have a "rescue disk" from the manufacturer, not the original OS, or (shock) have pirated setups made by a local one man OEM. The last time I offered to help someone with their computer they didn't even know what OS they had!

It probably depends on what kind of game you run. Hardcore gamers can be expected to know more than casual gamers, and if (like me) you target people who don't normally play more than Solitaire, then Vista compatibility is a real concern!

Vista seems to require separate paths for game and ini files really grates with me, since I like things to be neat and tidy. My game only has five files including saved games (and one of the five files is the game icon!) so spreading these across two or three folders and virtual folders just seems like madness. Right now, Linux is looking more and more attractive. But I'm using the Inno installer and won't release until December so I'm crossing my fingers that by then everything will be idiot proof and I won't have to even think about it.
Old 03-11-2007, 01:52 AM   #15
Psycho Game Maker

I'm not sure how AGS runs on Vista as I have no way to test it so have to go by what others say about how the games run.
I know right now Adventure Maker games run on Vista but have no sound and have some errors .
Shadow from the Am forums was trying to code his plugin to help with AM but didn't have much luck.
And AM has an installer that you can't change where the files are installed ( users can pick the folder ).
I have a feeling that BestBuy etc will see a lot of people bring in their computers and asking to have windows XP put on them and Vista removed. lol
Mikes Room
Old 03-11-2007, 04:08 AM   #16
Game Creator Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolworthy View Post
Vista seems to require separate paths for game and ini files really grates with me, since I like things to be neat and tidy.
That's already recommended in XP, as Windows' idea of neat and tidy. A limited account isn't allowed to write to Program Files. Each type of file in its own place.
Old 03-11-2007, 05:58 AM   #17
I turn novels into games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumgottist View Post
Each type of file in its own place.
Except indie games, Games can't go in the Vista games folder unless you pay several thousand dollars for certification. So indie games are left out in the wilderness, trying to find shelter in the cold, while the OS tries to break them into parts and scatter them to the four corners of the earth.

Sorry, I'm in a nostalgic mood today. I miss my old DOS computer. It started faster, programs ran faster (because they were leaner), installing meant just copying the files to anywhere I wanted them, and cleaning up meant just deleting said folder. Those were the days!

Last edited by Enter the Story; 03-11-2007 at 06:15 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 03-11-2007, 07:07 AM   #18

Quote:
Hardcore gamers can be expected to know more than casual gamers, and if (like me) you target people who don't normally play more than Solitaire, then Vista compatibility is a real concern!
Yeah, anyway, I will not run Vista because I think it's a bad OS.

I will probably move to new AmigaOS4.

Last edited by Nautilus; 03-11-2007 at 07:07 AM. Reason: AmigaOS4
Old 03-11-2007, 08:28 AM   #19
Game Creator Hobbyist

Quote:
I miss my old DOS computer. It started faster, programs ran faster (because they were leaner), installing meant just copying the files to anywhere I wanted them, and cleaning up meant just deleting said folder. Those were the days!
I like the .app bundles of OSX. It works sort of like that, but easier.
Old 04-01-2007, 05:46 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey View Post
I shall see what happens with a whole load of stuff once I upgrade to Vista in what should be about a fortnight's time.
Take my word for it, you do NOT want to upgrade to Vista.

And if you won't take my word for it, take it from Microsoft's. The O.S. is crippled from the get-go and only gets worse from there. It also takes a really big performance hit over XP, requires double the ram, and the OEM versions only allow for a single activation (means you can't upgrade without having to buy a new copy).

Vista is really bad news.

Oh, it's also dropped open GL support completely so XP runs OpenGL apps 80-90% faster.

And yeah, I dual booted it for about a month to check it out ($120.00 mistake on my part), stick with XP, yer better off. It "seems" like it runs faster, but the truth is it only "loads" faster because it caches your most used programs in Memory if you have a 2 gigabyte system. But once the applications load, they carry out their tasks slower. Anything from ripping cd's to transcoding your music to compiling data. When you install Vista on your computer you give control of it over to Microsoft and any and all "premium content" providers. It's 100 times worse than Sony's Rootkit software.

Windows Vista As CrippleWare and DRM Bloat, Written by David Marsh (Microsoft).... More Vista Goodness
Digital 'Fair Use' Bill Introduced In Congress 02/17

the worst part about it is that besides the performance hit which will affect everyone who uses vista. All the DRM crap is only going to hamper people who actually buy their music/movies/games/etc. The software/music pirates won't have to deal with any of it.

Go one step further and Vista 64 (microsoft plans to dump Vista 32 midway through vista's life cycle) requires signed drivers. You can't install ANY unsigned driver at all. The amount of control you lose when running vista is a huge step backward for consumers. Vista only helps the RIAA, MPAA and any other companies who choose to employ Vista's DRM policies.

Last edited by jokieman; 04-01-2007 at 06:05 PM.