You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming AG Underground - Freeware Adventures Underground Scene of the Day - Monday 12 February 2007

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2007, 11:31 PM   #1
Elegantly copy+pasted

Default Underground Scene of the Day - Monday 12 February 2007

Reactor 09

It was nominated for nine AGS Awards, but then it didn't win any of them. Well, it's a pretty damn good game anyway, so as a consolation it's today's Underground scene.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:47 PM   #2
Elegantly copy+pasted

Err... I forgot that Bernie's City of Fortune was featured only a little more than a week ago. Well, it will be a while before Cedric comes up, then.

By the way, if anyone feels like posting a screen one of these Tuesdays or Thursdays, please go ahead. It's not like we'll run out of games to choose from.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:40 PM   #3
Under pressure.

I'm afraid I'll post a game that's already been featured here. (And yeah, I'm too lazy to open all previous threads)

--Erwin
Old 02-12-2007, 03:13 PM   #4
Elegantly copy+pasted

There have only been, like, ten so far.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:57 AM   #5
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

Reactor 09 was one of the scenes? Missed that one, darn it. Of course, I hadn't played it yet in February, which explains it.

I wasn't fond of the graphics, as the detail was rather hard to discern. Also, the writing or pace wasn't terrific, I thought. The characterization was well done, though. Naturally, this is just my very unique opinion.

Is this the place to say this?
Old 04-29-2007, 01:05 PM   #6
Elegantly copy+pasted

Actually, I would think that the thread for that screenshot (12 February) would be a more appropriate place, so that this one can be kept for just the list of screens. If a mod would like to move your post (and this one), that'd be great. Edit: Thanks, mods!

I liked the game more than it sounds like you did, and can find no fault with the graphics and pacing. My one criticism is that although the characterization tries hard, the dialogue doesn't quite hold up, and the whole thing comes close slashfic territory a few times.

Last edited by After a brisk nap; 04-29-2007 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Post was moved
Old 04-30-2007, 04:04 PM   #7
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by After a brisk nap View Post

I liked the game more than it sounds like you did, and can find no fault with the graphics and pacing. My one criticism is that although the characterization tries hard, the dialogue doesn't quite hold up, and the whole thing comes close slashfic territory a few times.

I understand where you're coming from. Nevertheless, as far as the pacing goes, I found little consistency. One minute we were mopping a floor, the next we were in a control room, the next were talking about the protagonist's guilt. It could have had a lot to offer, but I felt that it didn't take the necessary time to stop and smell the roses, and give the player a sense of direction.

As far as the graphics went, I found the detail blurred; often, I had to go to a walkthrough to locate an object that was right in front of me. This, indirectly, made the puzzles more frustrating. As far as characterization, they did try a bit too hard, yes. However, they were obviously trying to quite visibly show the character of the two protagonists, and thus didn't care about going too far. In this the developers succeeded.

So, all of this is IMH-and-inexperienced-O, naturally.