You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2007, 09:59 PM   #1
Hello

Default 6 Days A Sacrifice

6 Days A Sacrifice By Ben 'Yahtzee' Croshaw has been released

http://www.fullyramblomatic.com/

I have not played it yet but it looks really good

Last edited by Dannyyou; 01-24-2007 at 11:48 PM.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:25 PM   #2
Old lady who loves games

Thanks for the info. I love Yahtzee games.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:36 AM   #3

I'm playing it right now, about halfway through (On Day 3). Very good, but not quite up to the standard of the other games. It seems to be building towards a great ending though.

I love the character you play as, though. Dacabre, I think his name is. Neat idea for a PC (Play the game and you'll see what I mean).
Old 01-27-2007, 01:16 AM   #4
Freeware Co-ordinator

Nice atmosphere but it is missing something that the other games had as far as I can tell.

Spoiler:
Death scenes for the main character. Wel, OK there is one right near the end but I don't think it's possible for the character to die up until then. Always added an extra bit of tension that did.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 01-28-2007, 04:55 AM   #5
kamikaze hummingbirds

i've played them all, but i really do not know what this ending was all about.

Spoiler:
so, the whole reason behind all of these happenings was to make a new crazy murderous King (or was it Prince?) person to replace the Crazed Murderer Formerly Known As Prince (lol), am I right?
Old 01-28-2007, 09:56 AM   #6
capsized.

I downloaded it a couple of days ago but haven't made it past the introduction yet. For one, it didn't grab me as much as that of "Trilby's Notes", and then I'm a little bit tired of seeing all those 5days sequels. It's been more than three years now and I don't even remember half the plotting. Would somebody be so kind to recap it for me, huh? Most of all After a brisk nap spoiled the game for me by shamelessly revealing that
Spoiler:
the entire thing would take palce in an underground base
in another thread.

No, seriously, I'll get back to it eventually. Yahtzee games are cool...
Old 01-28-2007, 09:29 PM   #7

I liked it.

It reminded me of The Matrix Revolutions, in that it raised more questions instead of tying up loose ends. Still, it was very immersive, and I can't wait to see what Yahtzee has up his sleeve next now that the series is over.
Old 01-29-2007, 05:51 AM   #8
Freeware Co-ordinator

I liked it as well (I played it straight through) but, as KG brickfilmer said, for a game intended to tie up all the loose ends it did seem to create more questions.

The writing and the atmosphere worked well (more of the weird landscape changes of Trilby's Notes coming through) The three text adventures released in the run up to 6 days a sacrifice also make more sense now.

for samiamsad (and any others that can't remember the plots) a brief rundown.

5 days a stranger
Spoiler:
Trilby, gentleman thief breaks into Defor manor. Finds himself trapped inside (with several others) by a mysterious force. Research reveals the force is John Defoe, murdered mutant son of the original owner. His spirit seems focused on a strange idol. The spirit manifests as a man in a welder's outfit and possesses those who touch the idol. After further deaths Trilby engineers a confronation between John Def0e's spirit and those of the father and brother (who possess two of his companions) he killed. John Defoe is apparently destroyed in the subsequent fire.

7 days a sceptic
Spoiler:
Far in the future a spaceship's psychiatrist is on his first tour. The ship picks up a mysterious sealed locker. Subsequently various members of the crew die, one (the captain) coming back to life to pursue the others. The locker was sent into space by Trilby and contained the idol which Trilby was trying to dispose of forever. With the rest of the crew desd, the psychiatrist lures the manifestation of the welder out of the ship and impales him on the ship's antenna. He then destroys the idol in the ship's exhaust. In a final twist our hero is revealed to not be who he cliams to be. he is arrested for the murder of the real doctor and his shipmates.

Trilby's Notes
Spoiler:
Trilby, now in the employ of a government agency subsequent to his eventual capture, discovers the other survivors of 5 days a stranger are being brutally killed. He travels to the Clanbronwyn hotel where the idol has resurfaced as part of an exhibition. The hotel then slips between the real world and a nightmarish alternative (and is cut off). Various items around the hotel trigger flashbacks showing the history of the idol is larger than Trilby realised. A recurring character in this history is "The Tall Man" or Prince who has a white face and dresses all in black. The last flashback reveals the origin of the idol was a tree whose protector druid attempted to summon a dread being (Chzo) to protect it. Trilby's apparent aide turns out to be an intiate of a cult seeking to bring Chzo to our world. He attempts to use Trilby in a ritual to oepn a gate but Trilby apparently foils him by willing himself to die prematurely (though he is subsequently revived) A closing cutscene reveals this was in accordance with the cult's plans all along.

The 3 text adventures
They're tiny. Play them right before 6 days a sacrifice to appreciate how they fit in to the story properly.

Cold Topic

Old 01-31-2007, 12:02 AM   #9
capsized.

Step, you're awesome! By the way, it's interesting that the text parser present in the last game seems to have disappared completely. But then, it's Yahtzee and he ususally experiments quite a lot, as can be seen in some other games of his. I like that.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:00 AM   #10
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad View Post
Step, you're awesome!
Indeed I am.
Quote:
By the way, it's interesting that the text parser present in the last game seems to have disappared completely. But then, it's Yahtzee and he ususally experiments quite a lot, as can be seen in some other games of his. I like that.
I think that, as well as an experiment, the text parser appeared in Trilby's Notes for certain specific actions that couldn't readily be performed using a point and click interface. Two specific examples spring to mind.
Spoiler:
  1. The sign language you have to use as the person who carved the idol
  2. Trilby choosing to die in the final sequence.
No need for such actions in the last game so no need for the text parser. Presumably the point and click (being the original interface in AGS) is easier to program as well.

Cold Topic

Old 01-31-2007, 03:48 AM   #11
SSH
Super Scottish Hero

Someone suggested over on the AGS forums that this episode of the series shoudl be subtitled "The Trouble with Trilbies"
Old 02-06-2007, 10:59 AM   #12
Irritant F0rum Beasty

Have played through 6 Days and really enjoyed it, probably more than 7Days, less so than 5 Days. Still a bit Shaky with what’s going on with the ending though, for example:

Spoiler:
Was the guy wearing the Welding Mask and Bandages in the final sequence John Defoe or Theo DaCabe?

By the way, I never even realised Trilby's Notes existed before reading this thread.

Guess I still have some catching up to do with the series.

The Seed accepts no responsibility for any damage that my have been caused to your Hard Drive as a result of viewing this post!
Old 04-27-2008, 04:24 PM   #13

Help!
I am having an impossible time with one of the early parts of this game. This is the third forum on which I am posting about this.

Spoiler:
When you are trying to get past the Trilby guard near the beginning, the walkthrough says you are supposed to lure him off the screen and he ends up following you into the storeroom. I cannot get him to follow me no matter what. I get close enough for him to see me and then start walking, and he always follows me to the edge of the screen, but he won't follow me off the edge of the screen. This is the case no matter which way I go off the screen. If I even take one step off the screen, he goes back to his post by the door.

How on earth do I get past this? I feel like I have tried everything!!

Thanks so much in advance for any help!