You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming AG Underground - Freeware Adventures New Fangame: Simon 3D in classical 2D

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2006, 07:30 AM   #21
Under pressure.

Sierra could one day decide to publish their old games again. As a matter of fact, there were even rumors that they are going to in some kind of classics collection.

It's a moot point, though, because whether or not they sell their old property, it's still theirs. There's no difference, legally.

--Erwin
Old 08-13-2006, 07:51 AM   #22
Jack Bauer loves you

Send a message via AIM to artwking4

You're making a game, aren't you? Suppose, after you release it, someone decides they don't like a certain aspect of Bad Timing and remakes it their way and distributes it even though you're still selling it. You would be okay with that?
Old 08-13-2006, 01:30 PM   #23
Under pressure.

No, but that's up for me to decide. As it was up for Sierra to decide, and they were okay with the Kings Quest remakes. Adventure Soft might be okay with it too, but we don't know that. Don't forget that AGDI didn't have permission either, when they released their remakes! I didn't hear any complaints back then. (And again, it doesn't matter if a game is currently for sale or not. We're talking intellectual property here!)

--Erwin
Old 08-13-2006, 04:44 PM   #24
Jack Bauer loves you

It actually does matter when sales are concerned. There is no question if they're infringing on intellectual property rights. If they don't have permission, they are in violation. I'm talking about additional financial damage that these people are going to inflict upon Adventure Soft. Sierra was okay with the King's Quest remakes at the time because they weren't making any more money off of them. They had no more copies to sell and had no plans to make any more. There is no financial loss to be felt there. However, Adventure Soft still has copies of Simon 3D to sell. They WILL lose money if someone takes their product, alters it, and gives it away for free. There is no possible way they would be "okay with it" while they are still trying to sell the Simon 3D game.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:14 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin_Br
Sierra could one day decide to publish their old games again. As a matter of fact, there were even rumors that they are going to in some kind of classics collection.

It's a moot point, though, because whether or not they sell their old property, it's still theirs. There's no difference, legally.

--Erwin
I doubt that sierra would decide to publish those old game. Importantly Sierra aren't the owned of Simon the Sorcerer.

Unless I missed some rumors, I believe the owner is lucasart!

Regarding the game being promoted here is in fact 2D instead of 3D.

In case no one knows, English demo is also available.

Last edited by splat44; 09-11-2006 at 08:37 PM.
Old 09-12-2006, 12:08 AM   #26
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by splat44
I doubt that sierra would decide to publish those old game. Importantly Sierra aren't the owned of Simon the Sorcerer.

Unless I missed some rumors, I believe the owner is lucasart!

I think you should have read this conversation more carefully.
Old 09-12-2006, 12:51 AM   #27
I create. Therefore I am.

Send a message via MSN to jannar85

Well... If Adventure Soft *don't* like what they do, they can either:
a) do nothing
b) stop them
c) agree to sell the 2D version with or without Simon3D for a smaller fee

But honestly, do people still buy Simon3D?

Good luck to the team!

Click the name, to join its Facebook Page!

My Games
Old 09-12-2006, 01:05 AM   #28

My impressions of the demo was really good. I really liked it a lot more compared with the original Simon 3D. It also made me go back to play Simon 1 and 2 once more, so bye!

...by the way, if this will have the same affect on all, I think it'll turn out to be positive for Adventure Soft (since they actually sell Simon1 and Simon2 as well).

My Games
Old 09-23-2006, 01:50 AM   #29

I love the demo. It's not that I disliked Simon 3D, but it's awkwardness made me stop playing somewhere along the way (after the swamp). It going 2D would probably make me play again.

Plus I have the original, so I could download it without any scupules.
Old 09-23-2006, 02:45 AM   #30

I got mine for $7

My Games
Old 09-23-2006, 03:05 AM   #31

I got mine for 6€. Which means that I've been screwed (that's 8$ or so).
Old 09-29-2006, 12:27 PM   #32
gaybrush threepwoody

Send a message via AIM to eriq Send a message via Yahoo to eriq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Brat View Post
I love all the negative energy around here. If I suddenly lost my mind and started giving away free 2 karat diamonds....someone would complain.
Right on. It's so sad isn't it?

If someone wants to do something artistic, they should be able to do it without unhelpful, negative, rude comments. If the developer of the original games decides to shut them down, then let them deal with it. Amateur/fan developers post so they can share their artistic visions with all of us. If you don't have anything helpful to say, then don't post.

In my opinion, it all stems from ego and jealousy.
Old 09-29-2006, 01:32 PM   #33
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriq View Post
In my opinion, it all stems from ego and jealousy.
I dunno. I'm not a big fan of remakes or games based on someone else's intellectual property, and it's not because I'm jealous of anyone (I can create art too, you know ) but more that I simply prefer some semblance of originality. Sure, said remakes/fan games can be good, just as some fan fiction can be well-written, it's just that I'd much rather see such talent applied to new plots, settings, and characters.

That being said, people can and should make whatever the hell they feel like making.
Old 09-29-2006, 05:07 PM   #34
Jack Bauer loves you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Brat
I love all the negative energy around here. If I suddenly lost my mind and started giving away free 2 karat diamonds....someone would complain.
If you went insane and gave away your own 2 karat diaomonds for free, then no, I would not care. However, if you went bat shit insane and and started giving away someone else's 2 karat diamonds that you stole, then I would definitely have a problem with it. Do you see the difference here?

Quote:
Right on. It's so sad isn't it?

If someone wants to do something artistic, they should be able to do it without unhelpful, negative, rude comments. If the developer of the original games decides to shut them down, then let them deal with it.
If I'm being unhelpful, negative, and rude, it's because I have little tolerance or support for outright theft, be it plagiarism or causing lost sales by a offering another company's product for free. Sadly, it appears that I am the only one here who feels this way...

Stealing intellectual property is very much just like identity theft. The developer of the original game, like an identity theft victim, may not be aware of the crime. All the while, damage is still being done, whether they know it or not. Lost sales are plagueing the developer/publisher, and credit card debt is being run up in the victim's name. And when and if they are found out, it will take time to take corrective action to stop the offender and recover from the damages. It might be too late by then. They might be bankrupt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin_Br View Post
Adventure Soft might at one point discover this project and either cancel it or give it their blessing. That's up to them, not us, so please get off your soapbox.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jannar85 View Post
Well... If Adventure Soft *don't* like what they do, they can either:
a) do nothing
b) stop them
c) agree to sell the 2D version with or without Simon3D for a smaller fee

But honestly, do people still buy Simon3D?

Good luck to the team!
Quote:
Amateur/fan developers post so they can share their artistic visions with all of us. If you don't have anything helpful to say, then don't post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky View Post
That being said, people can and should make whatever the hell they feel like making.
Honestly, I can't believe I'm reading comments like these on this forum. Has everybody lost their fucking minds? It's PIRACY, not artistic license or freedom of speech! If they were making a parody or a fangame with new artwork and a new storyline, I would be way more sympathetic and even supportive. But it's the SAME game with only a graphics overhaul. If everybody already bought and owned the original version of Simon 3D from Adventure Soft, then MAYBE this black area would become more of a gray area where people could be okay downloading it. But not everybody is that honest. We shouldn't even be having this conversation, though. In fact, I thought I read that Adventure Gamers had rules against this sort of thing. Oh, yeah. It was right here in the FAQ:

Quote:
What's not OK to post?
You are solely responsible for everything you submit to the Adventure Gamers forums. We retain the right to delete any messages or threads deemed inappropriate (e.g. flames, spam).

We have a zero tolerance policy on pirated software. Any messages soliciting or promoting warez will be immediately deleted and posting priveledges will be revoked.

We also kindly request that you do not post links to so-called 'abandonwarez'. Although we sympathize with the preservation of games that have gone out of print, we choose not to tread any murky legal ground.
Perhaps you should put an addendum saying "unless the original version of the game sucked hard and the new pirated version is a vast improvement". Then maybe I'll understand your motives here.

Or maybe Adventure Soft is perfectly okay with all this. I doubt it, but I could be wrong. I haven't heard anything, though. Has anyone asked them? Afraid they'll catch wind of this project and put a swift end to it? If you're all so sure that Adventure Soft will be quite alright with someone remaking their most recent game (which is still for sale) and giving it away for free, then go ask them.
Old 09-30-2006, 05:25 AM   #35
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwking4 View Post
If I'm being unhelpful, negative, and rude, it's because I have little tolerance or support for outright theft, be it plagiarism or causing lost sales by a offering another company's product for free. Sadly, it appears that I am the only one here who feels this way...
I agree with you, but I'm sick of arguing the point against people determined to somehow deem an illegal act permissible.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 09-30-2006, 08:24 AM   #36
Game Creator Hobbyist

I probably don't feel as strongly about it as you do, but I agree too.