You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2006, 10:05 PM   #1
One Unlikely Hero

Send a message via Yahoo to Alliance
Default Space Quest III Remake

Space Quest III - The Pirates of Pestulon
We at Dogma Day Games are doing this as our other project. It shall be remade in VGA graphics, have full voice acting, and SQ5 style sprites. And yes, it's being done alongside our Dumb Quest project, so Dumb Quest won't be cancelled.

The Story:

Well, we all know the story. Roger, asleep in his sleep chamber, wakes up on a garbage freighter. He has to get out of here, at least to do something! Come on, he may be a janitor, but geez. Anways, we only have a handful of screens doine, but it's starting to come together.

Some screenshots:

Please note that the screens are at a WIP stage, in no way are these screens final. (except the robot head)
Development Progress:

Story: 70% (still deciding whether to add extra things or not)
Scripting: 15%
Graphics: 2%
Sound/Music: 0%

Expected completion date: No idea

Development Diary:

July 3, 2006
2 new backgrounds completed. Scripting is moving along nicely, and it in other news, our forums feel dead. Why not go there?

July 12, 2006
Well, screens are moving along, Visionmind is doing a great job, and Largo Legrande is hard at work on the inventory items. Screenshots have been moved down to the bottom of the post, and just look how great they look!

The Site

The Forums

We're also looking for artists (I seriously cannot do all this myself) So just PM me with a sample of your work, and you could be part of a great remake!
EDIT: We now have a bg artist named Visionmind, and we have a sprite artist called Largo.
Visionmind is an excellent bg artist, and Largo is a great sprite artist.
7-20-06
Our very talented Visionmind has been cranking out a buttload of background screens, and now most of the garbage freighter is complete.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:29 AM   #2
Biomechanoid

Send a message via MSN to Bobske

Wow, it looks amazing! Can't wait for the remake to be released!

Hmmmmm, never knew that Optimus Prime had a cameo in SQ3
Old 07-21-2006, 04:48 AM   #3
El Luchador

Send a message via ICQ to bigjko Send a message via MSN to bigjko

Kudos on remaking this great adventure. But one thing that strikes me with the screenshots (including the Optimus Prime's head) is the complete and utter over-use of soft brushes. Just becomes a little bit boring when coupled with the low-contrast colors.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:34 PM   #4
One Unlikely Hero

Heh, thanks for the feedback.
As for the soft brushes, well, don't worry about that. The pictures aren't finalized or anything.
Old 07-23-2006, 11:59 AM   #5
Under pressure.

The ''optimus prime'' screenshot is my favorite, because I like the use of colours in that compostion. The rest of the images are all right, but the colours are kind of clashing with eachother.

--Erwin
Old 07-23-2006, 09:08 PM   #6
Live Slow Die Old

If you're gonna remake something (which you shouldn't in my humble opinion, but that's another story), why retrace the original graphics pixel by pixel? It would make more sense to me to, you know, bring something original to the table while still keeping the basic gameplay and script from the original in tact. I just don't get it. It's like that Gus Van Sant remake of Psycho a few years ago. What's the bloody point??

Anyway, I know this has been discussed to death on this forum, so I'm not going to get into it now. All I'm saying is, if you're going to redo something, you might as well inject a bit of yourself into the project, and I'm not just talking about throwing in more colours and weird shading.
Old 07-24-2006, 02:31 AM   #7
Under pressure.

I agree, though I also think that:

1) It takes more time to draw original artwork. Especially for a small amateur team.
2) You need a good artist. Retracing old material at least guarantees a ''professional'' look to a certain degree.
3) LucasArts did the same thing when they made 256 versions of some of their games.

--Erwin
Old 07-24-2006, 10:03 AM   #8
Live Slow Die Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin_Br
3) LucasArts did the same thing when they made 256 versions of some of their games.
True, but I'm pretty sure the VGA versions came out almost back to back with the EGA ones (I could definitly be wrong on this point), and so it was more like releasing 2 versions of the same game than actually remaking a classic for a new audience. It seems like the Sierra remakes all came out a number of years later (SQ1, KQ1...) and as a result there was more of a revamping than simply a retracing.

Anyway, it's possible that I have my facts wrong here. Although I've played both versions of all these games, I'm not too good with remembering release dates. Regardless, I still enjoy the originals as much as their remakes, sometimes more (blocky heads, text parser and all). I love that old school retro feel. Also, there's an element of nostalgia to it when you've played these games before their remakes existed. Nothing will ever replace the original versions.
Old 07-24-2006, 03:21 PM   #9
One Unlikely Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy
If you're gonna remake something (which you shouldn't in my humble opinion, but that's another story), why retrace the original graphics pixel by pixel? It would make more sense to me to, you know, bring something original to the table while still keeping the basic gameplay and script from the original in tact. I just don't get it. It's like that Gus Van Sant remake of Psycho a few years ago. What's the bloody point??

Anyway, I know this has been discussed to death on this forum, so I'm not going to get into it now. All I'm saying is, if you're going to redo something, you might as well inject a bit of yourself into the project, and I'm not just talking about throwing in more colours and weird shading.
You're right. And that's what we're doing. Our artist, Visionmind, is hard at work doing his own renditions of the screens. Granted, the colors aren't the best, and we're always open to more people joining the team. If it really matters that much, and you're good with this stuff, feel free to join.

Quote:
2) You need a good artist. Retracing old material at least guarantees a ''professional'' look to a certain degree.
You're also right. A bit of nostalgia lies in seeing your favorite screen layed out the exact same way it was, but with far more detail (look at AGDI's King's Quest I remake).
Don't you worry, though, we'll do our best.
Old 07-26-2006, 07:46 PM   #10
Live Slow Die Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliance
You're right. And that's what we're doing. Our artist, Visionmind, is hard at work doing his own renditions of the screens. Granted, the colors aren't the best, and we're always open to more people joining the team. If it really matters that much, and you're good with this stuff, feel free to join.
I guess I just find it more interesting when you retell a story with a unique perspective. Try imagining that the game designer is describing to you the environments that Roger finds himself in. How would you picture the space? What angle would you see it from? Think about colour, texture, lighting, decor... Surely it wouldn't look anything like it did in 1989. That's what I want to see: your vision, not just theirs but with more colour.

Granted it's easier to trace over what's been done, but it's also rather boring, if you ask me. Reimagine, don't regurgitate. What's most important is that the heart of the story remains intact. And if you can figure out how to do that, you may as well have a little fun with the visuals and take them in your own direction.

And thanks for the offer. I have close to no experience drawing on the computer, and I'll be frightfully busy over the next while (going to England next week then possibly moving to Scotland in a month or so). Good luck with the project though.
Old 08-10-2006, 05:22 PM   #11
One Unlikely Hero

Thread bumped.
DDG has a few interesting updates for you!

Current progress:
Story: 70% (still deciding whether to add extra things or not)
Scripting: 25%
Graphics: 40%
Sound/Music: 0%

August 8th, 2006
Well, Visionmind has done all of the screens for the garbage ship, I'm working on finalizing them.

This little screenie should tie you over.

Also, LargoPredator has finished drawing most of the inventory items, they look great.

As for site related news, well there are now designer journals, updated screenshots, and also a shoutbox.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:56 PM   #12
kamikaze hummingbirds

JESUS CHRIST!!
How long have you been on these forums, Alliance??
Old 08-10-2006, 11:41 PM   #13
One Unlikely Hero

Not too often, but I've been here a while.
Old 08-11-2006, 04:47 AM   #14
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Looks nice, lets hope the animations look good, I'd love to see the scenes with much more animation to make the world look alive.
Old 08-11-2006, 05:41 AM   #15
The Punisher

Send a message via ICQ to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via AIM to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via MSN to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via Yahoo to [toj.cc]Phantom

Hello Alliance. Fancy seeing you here. Can't wait for the remake to get done.
Old 08-11-2006, 06:56 AM   #16
Retired Buccaneer

Good choice on making Roger blond like in SQ4, I must say--it's the color the Two Guys always intended his hair to be, so much so that Roger's sprite had yellow hair in early builds of SQ3.

(Incidentally, the same early Roger animations also had the purple boots from SQ2. I guess the design just looked too odd in the more detailed 320x200 res.)
Old 08-12-2006, 07:51 AM   #17
Rogue Agent

Hmm....I'll be interested to see how this goes, but I think you should keep Roger's hair brown and make him a little less fat.
Old 08-12-2006, 10:31 AM   #18
One Unlikely Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventurous One
keep Roger's hair brown
I'm not so sure about that...unless of course, we can fit in a perfectly good explanation of why Roger's hair turned blonde. (maybe he got covered in some sort of chemical?)
And thinking of that, Roger's hair was blonde in the SQ1 Remake...perhaps a defective form of stasis changed his hair color?
Interesting thought though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventurous One
and make him a little less fat.
Don't you worry, he won't be fat when we're through with him!
Old 08-12-2006, 10:51 AM   #19
kamikaze hummingbirds

Quote:
And thinking of that, Roger's hair was blonde in the SQ1 Remake...perhaps a defective form of stasis changed his hair color?
or perhaps you're overanalysing.
Old 08-12-2006, 11:28 AM   #20

Quote:
I'm not so sure about that...unless of course, we can fit in a perfectly good explanation of why Roger's hair turned blonde. (maybe he got covered in some sort of chemical?)
Wasn't it radiation or something due to those alien dudes from The Lost Chapter? I can't remember, it's been years since I played TLC (Although it's not officially canon, heh)