You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2006, 07:39 PM   #41

Hot guy with a skirt?
Is William Wallace going to be in the game too?

By the way,i´m completely for the boobies...why can´t a heroine have big and pretty breasts?
Although the cleavage does look kind of too much...maybe giving her new clothes would solve the problem...
Old 09-13-2006, 04:50 AM   #42

To be honest, now that we have the gesture system working, we're a little unsure as to whether we even need those close-up talkie screens in-game. I'd like them to be there because it helps add character to the sprites, but we might limit their use to specific occasions. However, if you find the pic offensive, then you'll more than likely find the sprite offensive too (even if she is only 64 pixels tall). I can't re-iterate enough how important it is to us (in terms of story) that she does look like that. Yes we could have covered her up a little more, yes we could have given her a different costume entirely. But to do so would water down a point that we think is critical to the story and characterisation. It would also require re-doing about 300 frames of animation (and counting).

We seriously, seriously, didn't anticipate that anyone would find it a problem (at least no bigger a problem than "Tsk! Honestly, what are you like?"). We think the character is an interesting and memorable protagonist. Perhaps that's because we know where we're going with the story and how her personality pans out - so perhaps many of you who find the publicity pic offenisve now will warm to her when (if) you play it. Or perhaps not. There's no way we can really predict how everyone's going to feel about her in the game so the only thing we can really do (much like with the Dr Carter's name thing on Adventure Developer's forum) is to continue regardless, trust our judgements, and hope for the best.

Cheers,

Cap'n Binky

Last edited by CaptainBinky; 09-13-2006 at 05:53 AM.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:35 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainBinky
I can't re-iterate enough how important it is to us (in terms of story) that she does look like that.
I don't want to dredge up the topic again, but I find this statement interesting. I'd like to use it in comparison to another recent game, Al Emmo. For the creators of that game, it was very important to them, and in terms of story, that their main character be a pathetic, Woody Allen-type, complete with whiny, annoying voice. They are using and reinforcing a stereotype specifically for the reason of making the character immediately identifiable. When a player sees and hears Al Emmo, they pretty much know who he is right away.

So far it seems that Al Emmo as a character has had some mixed responses. Many seem to find him fine and just don't like the voice. A few just don't like him as a character outright and don't want to play the game because they have no interest in playing as that kind of person. But all seem to agree that his look fits his type, and though not all short, balding, middle-aged men are exactly like Al Emmo, it is a stereotype people recognize.

In the case of Forgotten Element, you say the characters look is very important to the game. This can mean either two things: you're playing TO type, or AGAINST type. TO type will mean that when people see this character and expect a "bimbo", they'll be right when they play her and she is a bimbo. AGAINST would mean that when people see her and expect a bimbo, they'll learn an important message about stereotyping and prejudging when they realize she isn't a bimbo.

But the thing is, in either scenario, the issue is about the character's image. Whether the character has an IQ of 20 or 200, it all comes down to her looks. If it's important to the story or puzzles, then that means her body/looks will either cause or solve some conflict or puzzle in the story. It's hard to see how that can be done without resorting to "guy looks at girl, thinks she's a dimwit, she's able to outsmart him because he underestimated her" or "girl needs to get keys from security guard so she uses her femine wiles to distract him" types of puzzles.

Anyway, I'm actually looking forward to the game. I just think you'll have a hard time with her looks being such an important aspect of the story and still manage not to make a commentary (intentionally or not) on what you guys think a woman should or should not look like.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:37 AM   #44

Hmmm... now that was an interesting post, and you make your points very well and they're valid.

Quote:
I just think you'll have a hard time with her looks being such an important aspect of the story and still manage not to make a commentary (intentionally or not) on what you guys think a woman should or should not look like.
This girl is not the only female character in the game, but given that she is the player character she obviously suffers from being the point of focus. For Mia to represent a commentary on what we think women should look like, then logically she would have to have greater successes or failures comparitavely than the other women in the game. This may or may not be the case in the game, I'd rather not say Suffice to say, we don't believe we are implying intentionally or unintentionally that all woman should be tall with big boobs in this game in the same way that Time Bandits isn't saying anything about little people And before I get flamed for mentioning our game in the same sentance as Gilliam's film - it's the first example that came to mind cos I watched it on DVD last night

But I do seriously take your points, and we'll strive doubly hard to make sure that the tone of the game is such that any points which we are trying to make, come across correctly. Here's to hoping... <chink>

Cheers,

Cap'n Binky
Old 01-27-2007, 05:13 PM   #45

The Forgotten Element Official Website is now online!

Visit: http://www.theforgottenelement.com for new info about the game.

Cheers!

lemmy101
Old 01-28-2007, 03:33 PM   #46
Freeware Co-ordinator

Nice theme there. Look forward to the finished product (especialy the in-house tools. Maybe those will help get me working on a game of my own at last)
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree