You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2006, 07:54 AM   #21
fov
Rattenmonster

I agree with Jack. I am a woman, and the way she looks turns me off completely. If you're hoping to get women to identify with her, I think you're going about it in the wrong way.

If it's important for her to be amply proportioned, you could at least close up the top of her shirt a little. Just because she has large breasts doesn't mean they need to be falling out.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:07 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
If it's important for her to be amply proportioned, you could at least close up the top of her shirt a little. Just because she has large breasts doesn't mean they need to be falling out.
Thanks for the opinions. While the screenshots may imply otherwise, her proportions and costume size do make sense within the game. I'm afraid it's rather difficult to explain why and how without revealing plot points that we would prefer to keep until the game is played, suffice to say that we believe that you'll like her as a character once you get to know her in the game. We didn't design her like that for the sake of gratuity (although we can't deny that the attention and debate it has caused has massively helped publicise the game), so I hope her image won't put you off looking at the game once it's complete.

Thanks again for the comments, and thanks for being diplomatic and objective.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:18 AM   #23
Hopeful skeptic

Hey, if it's justified by the plot (integrally, I mean, not some thinly-veiled excuse to show knockers ), then that's cool. Sure, sometimes a game just calls for a vixen. Still, though, at least be aware that you're walking a fine line with something so blatant. If people won't look past initial impressions, then it really doesn't matter how well you've pulled it off later on.

Looks intriguing, though. Keeps us posted on your progress.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:21 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal
Still, though, at least be aware that you're walking a fine line with something so blatant.
Oh wwe're aware of that now to be honest we didn't think for one moment that one 320x200 pixel art image would have had such an impact on the forums, but I think we're learning how best to respond to it now though

thanks again,

lemmy
Old 03-03-2006, 08:22 AM   #25
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainBinky
Thanks for the opinions. While the screenshots may imply otherwise, her proportions and costume size do make sense within the game.
Don't tell me she's hiding all her inventory items in there.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:31 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
Don't tell me she's hiding all her inventory items in there.
heh heh heh! No, hopefully you'll find the reasons a bit more interesting than that!
Old 03-03-2006, 04:40 PM   #27

Default ??

People should start to free their mind a little bit...

The art is great in every way! The woman is sexy, and the man looks really powerful, intelligent, and maybe evil (?) You should not judge it before playing the game

--
Old 03-03-2006, 04:45 PM   #28
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

I wish the man were sexy...
Old 03-03-2006, 04:49 PM   #29
Elegantly copy+pasted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal
The quality of the art of obvious, but I'll be the first to question ...
Hah!

http://www.bigbluecup.com/yabb/index.php?topic=25372.0
Old 03-04-2006, 01:36 PM   #30
Hopeful skeptic

I meant here.

I certainly didn't think I'd be alone in my questioning. I was actually surprised it hadn't come up here already. But now I see that it's because everyone's argued in on other forums already.
Old 03-05-2006, 04:56 AM   #31
Dread Pirate

I think this is a fabulous-looking project and I can't wait to play the first act. As for the debate on the female character's... assets... one of the great freedoms of indie game development is the opportunity to create the game/story/art however you want to do it. More power to you, and I'll reserve judgment, good or bad, till I see the finished product.

Last edited by chapter11studios; 03-05-2006 at 05:02 AM.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:32 AM   #32

Default Update - Website, new screenies

New Website: http://www.cgempire.com/fe_html.php?file=forgottenelement/FE_Article.html

Forum:
http://www.cgempire.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46

Adventure Lantern Preview:
http://www.adventurelantern.com/previews/forgottenElement/forgottenElement.htm

Art, Scripting, & Story by CaptainBinky & Lemmy101
Additional plug-ins by Nickenstien
Music by Nikolas
Old 05-11-2006, 11:42 AM   #33
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

I dont think you should care about a character having big breasts

I for one cant make sense of the whole argument, it all just seems to contradict itself and pisses me off.
Old 09-10-2006, 03:09 PM   #34

Hello guys and gals, thought I'd make a quick update on how The Forgotten Element is getting along:

First some new screenies...

A newspaper pic with some story tidbits:

The map screen:

(This map screen is a work in progress, the locations alpha fade in and out as the mouse is moved over it. The compass is crap, we know )

Our (quite old) preview at Adventure Lantern

Our (newer) interview at gibbage.co.uk

Also we've started a development diary and general nonsense blog, the diaries can be found here:

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Also check out our uber-amazing flash games Adama Stareout Challenge and Click the Spot

Thanks all!

lemmy
Old 09-10-2006, 07:22 PM   #35

Beautiful game! It´s good to see an independent serious adventure game. Not that i don´t like comedy games like Monkey Island and Sam & Max...it´s just that there are too many of them out there...
Speaking about a talkie version...i think you should consider it seriously.Ok,good actors who work for free don´t simply ring your door bell,but it´s not impossible to find them.
I beleive you should at least audition some people and give it a try.You could have two versions of the demo talkie and non-talkie.People would be able to play through both of them and provide some feedback as to wich version they liked better.Since the demo should be considerably shorter than the actual game,it wouldn´t be so difficult to add the voices to it.
We could have some sort of survey or competition for the voices! People would vote for the voice samples and the fans would determine wich voices should be suited for every given character in the game!
Now that´s democracy!
How about that?
Old 09-10-2006, 08:11 PM   #36
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolseiro
Not that i don´t like comedy games like Monkey Island and Sam & Max...it´s just that there are too many of them out there...
If anything, I have heard others say the exact opposite. That there has been a dearth of funny games lately (commercially at least). That's why people are really looking forward to the new Sam & Max and Ankh was anticipated so much as well.

Kind of off topic but I just wanted to respond to that.
Old 09-11-2006, 01:07 AM   #37

Hi!

We have no problem with voice acting per se, like we said it's only bad voice acting that we don't like! So if we could find the right people for the roles, then it's definately something we would consider.

However... At the moment, our primary objective is finishing the prologue and getting it out. We don't want to spend loads of time auditioning voice actors, then spending time cropping and balancing all the sound files etc right now when there are still sprites and backgrounds to do. So what'll more than likely happen is that at some point after the prologue (maybe mid-way through act 1), we'll re-examine the possibility of doing voices, and then if we went for it, record the voices for act 1 and also for the prologue.

So basically, no major problem with the concept of voices, but not something we really have time to look into doing just yet.

Cheers,

Cap'n Binky
Old 09-11-2006, 01:43 AM   #38
Monkey Business

Oooh.. looks very intriguing guys. Great job! Keep us posted!!
Old 09-11-2006, 03:36 PM   #39
True blue adventurer

Send a message via AIM to Luke Send a message via MSN to Luke
Default Intriguing!

That game looks very interesting to say the least, although, like almost everyone else who's brought it up, I'm a bit skeptical that the amply-proportioned female character's looks would truly be so integral to a plot that they must be left as you currently have them. As Jack said, I would wonder how many players would be so turned off by it so as to stop playing the game long before the reason behind her proportions is revealed to players. I would definitely be willing to overlook it, but I can think of many people who might not.

Breasts notwithstanding, the game does look truly intriguing. I hate to be adding to the discussion about what will probably turn out to be an insignificant issue in the end. Keep us posted as the game's development progresses, and we'll be sure to cover it.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:14 PM   #40
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

I was one of the biggest opponents of the huge boobs at first, but then after it was announced that the game would also contain a hot guy wearing a skirt, I didn't mind so much anymore.