You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming AG Underground - Freeware Adventures New game: Frasse and the Peas of Kejick

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2006, 02:35 AM   #81

Quote:
You said that you've found some additional errors besides the one you mentioned - if you can recall those, I'd appreciate it if you'd tell me about them. (I can be contacted through a mail form on my site, or a PM or post here.)
I do not have your email address.
Mine is on all of my 36 walkthroughs ... if you wish to contact me!
N.B.
Latest walkthrus on the Net, over the past few months:-
Jessica Plunkenstein; The Goat in a Grey Fedora (Nick Bounty); Hope Springs Eternal; Nibiru (Solving slider-puzzles); Scratches; The Game that takes place on a Cruise Ship; Ben Jordan ~ Case-5.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:14 PM   #82
Chicken with a bite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Green
Now its beta-testers are going to slaughter me!

Hi Len

I did correct some spelling errors, but as you know, English is not my first language so I am fully aware I will probably have missed some. Not sure what nationality the other testers were. I do appreciate it when others point out what mistakes I have overlooked, so I can spot similar errors in the future.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:35 AM   #83

~~ PolloDiablo ~~

I certainly did not intend to criticize anybody ... certainly not you!
IIRC, your mother tongue is Dutch (???), but your English is magnificent!!

I simply pointed out that the overall English texts in FatPoK is superb ... but the fact is that there are just a very few errors.
They will either be corrected at some point in time ... or not! That of course is not up to me!

P.S.
As I mentioned previously, the game is really excellent!
Old 05-03-2006, 11:27 AM   #84
Chicken with a bite

I didn't take it as criticism.
You said you expected to be slaughtered so I took the opportunity to hit you over the head with my frying pan.
Old 05-03-2006, 03:47 PM   #85

A Dutch frying pan I assume?!
Or more exactly "Made in the Netherlands"!
Old 05-04-2006, 01:16 AM   #86
Chicken with a bite

Yes, the genuine article.

But back ontopic: great game with sympathetic characters, some nice surprises and original puzzles. My husband happened to look at my screen when I beta-tested this game. He laughed out loud when I solved the first puzzle (the one with the rock blocking the cave).
Old 05-04-2006, 09:47 AM   #87

~~ PolloDiablo ~~
I agree with everything you said above and particularly " some nice surprises and [VERY] original puzzles"!!
Quote:
~~ Len Green ~~ ... I am probably only about half way through the game, but I have already noticed just a few mistakes which detract a little from the generally excellent English. I recommend correcting the errors so that the texts are 100% instead of only 90%.
Quote:
~~ Trumgottist ~~ ... Certainly. I'm grateful when errors are brought to my attention so that I can fix them. You said that you've found some additional errors besides the one you mentioned - if you can recall those, I'd appreciate it if you'd tell me about them.
There were a (very) few English mistakes in the first half of the game, but I paid no attention to them and hence did not trouble to write them down!
Since my last 'English error-report', I've progressed a fair bit (without looking for or noticing any English mistakes)!
Until a trivial one here .............................
"I don't have anything that I need to put on fire" ~~~~~~ should be:-
**** "I don't have anything that I need to set on fire"
Old 05-04-2006, 11:55 AM   #88
Game Creator Hobbyist

Thanks!

Regarding that rock puzzle, I've noticed that some people (both among testers and later) hated it and thought it extremely illogical, while others liked it. I kept it in beacuse there are so few options in the beginning of the game that you are likely to solve it by accident even if you don't get it.
Old 05-04-2006, 01:02 PM   #89

"A warm light is flowing out this window". ~~~~ Should be:-
"A warm light is flowing out of this window".

However, if you intend to correct this, better would be:-
"A friendly (or welcoming, or pleasant) light is shining out of this window".

Added later:-
A nitpick I know, but although not exactly an error, I can't imagine any English speaking person saying ...............
"I don't want to make the cook upset" ~~~~ but rather:-
"I don't want to upset the cook"!

Later still ... and even nitpickier!
Even if I was smaller, it would be ......... ~~~~ Better (conditional):-
Even if I were smaller, it would be ..........

Last edited by Len Green; 05-04-2006 at 05:28 PM.
Old 05-05-2006, 09:09 AM   #90
Game Creator Hobbyist

Thanks. Odd... I was pretty sure that it's "I was" and "You were". Is it some special case here (you write "conditional" in paranthesis) or am I simply wrong?

I've changed the cook line straight away, but I don't know what to do with the window. Your suggestions don't really feel right. I don't want to call the light friendly, and I can't come up with a good alternative if it's odd to describe a light as warm in English. (My thinking was that a white or blue light is cold while a yellow or red is warm. Is there another word for this in English?) Maybe I should just remove the comment about the light completely, and let Frasse jump up and look inside instead. That would probably make more sense anyway.
Old 05-05-2006, 11:49 AM   #91

Quote:
~~ Trumgottist ~~ ... Thanks. Odd... I was pretty sure that it's "I was" and "You were". Is it some special case here (you write "conditional" in paranthesis) or am I simply wrong?
You may be right about that ?!?
I was born, bred, & educated in London (UK) and have written a lot and edited a magazine, but my Degree and 40 years teaching was in Physics and not in the English language.
My English is pretty good, but I am no grammarian! Certain sentences or phrases just SEEM (i.e. sound &/or read) to me to be right, or wrong. Some of these I can back-up objectively, others (including this case) I can’t.
To try to see if I’m correct, I googled http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/conditional.htm
and obtained, amongst other things :-
Quote:
For present unreal events, we put the verb in the condition clause one step back — into the past, examples:
** If the Bulls won another championship, Roberto would drive into Chicago for the celebration.
** I wish I had tickets.
** If they were available anywhere, I would pay any price for them.
** If he were a good friend, he would buy them for me.
****** Note that wishing is always an unreal condition. Note, too, that the verb to be uses the form were in an unreal condition. More about this in a moment.
I would be pleased if somebody who has a better English grammatical knowledge than me, were to confirm or reject my contention!

Quote:
I've changed the cook line straight away, but I don't know what to do with the window. Your suggestions don't really feel right. I don't want to call the light friendly, and I can't come up with a good alternative if it's odd to describe a light as warm in English. (My thinking was that a white or blue light is cold while a yellow or red is warm. Is there another word for this in English?) Maybe I should just remove the comment about the light completely, and let Frasse jump up and look inside instead. That would probably make more sense anyway.
No… don’t do that!... The sentence is FINE. The only actual error and anomaly are as pointed out:-
A warm light is flowing out this window. ~~~~ Should be:-
A warm light is shining out of this window.
It is quite common to talk about “the cold light of dawn”, etc. so I suppose it’s perfectly OK to talk about a warm light (certainly “the warm glow of a fire”).
Bottom line :- My suggestion, respectfully is:-
Don’t “just remove the comment about the light completely”, but instead just substitute the line …………….
A warm light is shining out of this window.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:13 PM   #92

Just finished the game.
EXCELLENT and C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S !!

I have found some evidence regarding the disapperance of your daughter
Should be .............
I have found some evidence regarding the disappearance of your daughter

You shall get a lifetime supply of cheese,
Should be .............
You will get a lifetime's supply of cheese,

MAJOR NITPICK... If you are making the alterations, then maybe you'll add just 2 letters ..............
If I could get to her room ........ (in 2 places I think ???)
Preferably:-
If I could get into her room ........
**** There is no problem whatsoever in getting TO the princess' room. The only question is how to get INTO the room !
Old 05-05-2006, 03:07 PM   #93
Game Creator Hobbyist

Thanks. I'm glad you liked the game, too.

Interesting about conditionals. I don't think I've ever heard that before. (That site you linked to gets a bookmark, too. I'll do some more exploration there later, to see if I can learn some more.)

...and now you got me confused about what to do with the window again. (Could I say "through", or is "of" more natural?)

"disapperance" was a typo. Fixed.

will/shall: I suppose I thought it sounded more royal that way, but you're right. It's better with "will".

into: Fixed.
Old 05-05-2006, 04:04 PM   #94

~~ Trumgottist ~~
Before going any further … it always flabbergasts me that so many brilliant computer game Developers (including yourself I believe) have such marvellous English despite the fact that it is not their ‘mother-tongue’.
I too am pretty fluent in a second language … but my mistakes are VERY frequent & horrible!!

Quote:
...and now you got me confused about what to do with the window again. (Could I say "through", or is "of" more natural?)
Now you’ve got me confused also… He-he!!
Your original sentence was …………..
“A warm light is flowing out this window”.
The only fairly blatant error here was “out" which has to be "out of”.
i.e. “A warm light is flowing out of this window”.
Light tends to “shine”, water to “flow” … so somewhat nicer is to substitute “shining” instead of “flowing”.
Hence ……. “A warm light is shining out of this window”.
FINALLY… I only left in the “out of” since you originally used the word “out”.
Actually, your own suggestion of “through” is indeed as good as or maybe even better than “out of”… so I would suggest either :-
* “A warm light is shining out of this window”… or if you like it better ......
** “A warm light is shining through this window”… or even ......
*** “A warm light is shining out through this window”…...
IMHO all 3 are correct, and it is purely a matter of personal taste which one is preferable!
Old 05-05-2006, 04:27 PM   #95

To conclude this dry academic discussion:-
Quote:
~~ Len Green ~~
Even if I was smaller, it would be ......... ~~~~ Better (conditional):-
Even if I were smaller, it would be ..........
Quote:
~~ Trumgottist ~~ ... Interesting about conditionals. I don't think I've ever heard that before. (That site you linked to gets a bookmark, too. I'll do some more exploration there later, to see if I can learn some more.)
Actually, I'm not at all certain that I'm right.
It takes me back 7 decades to when I first started learning Latin & formal grammatical English in secondary school ... and forgotten most of both!!
When I mentioned 'conditional', at the back of my mind I wondered whether this was not actually "SUBJUNCTIVE"... see ............. http://www.bartleby.com/64/C001/061.html

Perhaps some REAL English scholar can clarify!

Take the fairly well used phrase... "If I were you, didadidadida ....."
Look it up on Google and there are very many references (even apparently a popular song!!).
However, look up "If I was you ......" and I don't think there are ANY?!?!
Old 05-05-2006, 04:48 PM   #96
Super Moderator

Check here: http://www.englishclub.com/grammar/verbs-subjunctive.htm
(down at Why do we say "I were", "he were"?)
The were form is always correct, but was is also valid informally.
Old 05-06-2006, 04:26 AM   #97

~~ Dale Baldwin ~~
THANKS... very interesting!
However .............
"If I were a rich man... dedumdedum .........."
http://www.stlyrics.com/lyrics/fiddl...rearichman.htm
Old 05-12-2006, 11:33 AM   #98

I was EXTREMELY impressed with "Frasse" and think that it's an EXCELLENT freeware game, so I got my wife to play it (she plays MANY Quest/Adventures, and is extremely 'good' at them).
She has a very original mind and always does things very differently from me (and many others!!).

She got the bird earlier in the game than I did, and before getting Frasse & Gurra to mount the tree and obtain honey from the bees!
She then tied the bird with the rope in inventory … and then she got stuck and asked me what to do next.

I had just finished beta-testing ½ dozen Indies in the past couple of months, so I thought I’d replay the beginning of “Frasse” up to that point (and kept a save-game there) and help out.
“You have to get some honey to complete the anti-sneeze recipe” I replied.
But wait a minute … AFAIK, you have to get Gurra up to the branch of the tree … AND FOR THAT to the best of my knowledge YOU NEED THE ROPE.

But the rope is attached to the bird! How can I untie it?
I tried everything on everything but so far haven’t succeeded.
Since 17 beta-testers checked this game I must be missing something, since otherwise (most unlikely in view of the testing) this is a classic dead-end (one of the more serious game bugs)!

Could somebody please help out and tell me how to proceed … obviously without forcing me to restart the game (or resort to an earlier save… on the assumption that there is even one available!) which of course is the objectionable pitfall of any dead-end!
Old 05-12-2006, 01:57 PM   #99
Game Creator Hobbyist

There is an alternate way that doesn't involve the rope. (Actually, the rope solution was inspired by a comment from a beta tester, so the following is the original solution. The rope one is probably better, though.)

Spoiler:
Show the cure recipe to the bees. Then show it to Ike.
Old 05-12-2006, 03:32 PM   #100

Excellent ... it's NOT a dead end.

If you could ONLY get the honey from the bees (which I assumed, and which would have probably been more logical) you would have HAD to use the rope and then it would have been a potential dead-end.

The alternative method you outlined is, IMHO, a bit less satisfying.
I had previously shown the recipe to Ike with no reaction ... hence there is a tendency NOT to try the identical action again!
However, to repeat it a second time is certainly NOT unreasonable (after the bees ‘hint’) but not quite so satisfactory IMHO.
IMHO, it falls into that rather grey area similar to that which Steve Metzler has been complaining about quite recently http://www.quandaryland.com/ubbthrea...0/page/0#10851

This sort of thing is always controversial … although in this case (and many others like it) IMO it is NOT unfair !!