You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2005, 02:37 AM   #1

Default AGS vs AGAST

Hi,

i'm now selecting the engine for the my first adventure game. I have found AGS and AGAST. AGS seems to be easier to start with, but I have noticed that games made with AGAST have better graphics (smoother and looking modern), can you explain me why and is it possible to do the same level graphics with AGS?
Old 12-28-2005, 02:53 AM   #2
Doctor Watson

Yes, it is possible to do the same with AGS. It's just that the first versions of AGAST supported high resolution - 800*600 with 24bit colors - and therefore all games made with it used that resolution. AGS only supported lower resolutions with fewer colors. These days both engines support a variety of resolutions, AGS up to 800*600 32bit. I can't remember the exact details of Agast's resolution support.

However, AGS isn't optimized for speed, so high-res games might work faster when made with Agast. This isn't an issue, though, with today's computers being quite powerful.

Another factor that contributes to the smoothness of graphics is the support for alpha-blending. If I remmeber correctly, all major engines (AGS, Agast, Wintermute, Sludge) support it.

Regarding other engines, also check out Wintermute and Sludge.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:59 AM   #3
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Wintermute is the best choice. AGS & Wintermute are the best there is for adventure games. AGS = Low res, Wintermute = High res + real time 3D.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 12-28-2005, 12:13 PM   #4
Elegantly copy+pasted

As Wormsie pointed out, AGS is not limited to low res these days. Also, the limiting factor of the quality of the graphics is almost always the skill of the artist, not the resolution of the engine. Choosing a higher resolution won't magically make your backgrounds better looking.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:15 PM   #5
Hitch-Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky
As Wormsie pointed out, AGS is not limited to low res these days. Also, the limiting factor of the quality of the graphics is almost always the skill of the artist, not the resolution of the engine. Choosing a higher resolution won't magically make your backgrounds better looking.
Would you play BrokenSword in 320x200? People love high res because you can add much more detail. AGS's lmited resolution is 800x600 and when you choose that resolution it doesn't handle the graphics well, it screw with the look of sprites etc...

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

Old 12-28-2005, 01:17 PM   #6
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilva
Would you play BrokenSword in 320x200? People love high res because you can add much more detail. AGS's lmited resolution is 800x600 and when you choose that resolution it doesn't handle the graphics well, it screw with the look of sprites etc...
But if you want to do the art quickly, or if you're a bad artist like myself, low-res artwork may be perfectly adequate to meet your needs, in which case the resolution limit doesn't matter.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 12-28-2005, 01:21 PM   #7
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Quote:
Wintermute is the best choice. AGS & Wintermute are the best there is for adventure games. AGS = Low res, Wintermute = High res + real time 3D.
Can you back up your statements with evidence?
Old 12-28-2005, 02:38 PM   #8
Doctor Watson

Wintermute is thus far the only engine with 3D support (well, 3D characters and objects but not full 3D worlds) so, to be nitpicky, he has a point there. Otherwise, I think it's just a matter of preferences. However, Wintermute is suitable even for very high-res games (1024*768 with 32bit colors and full alpha blending), because of its 3D acceleration support.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:00 PM   #9
Unreliable Narrator

But does having more features necessarily make an engine "better"? Or is it a combination of other things as well?

I just have huge problems with the impression that just because one likes an engine better than others, then everyone should as well. People have different tastes and needs, after all; we don't live in a "one size fits all" world. The fact that more than one or two engines even exist at all is a blessing.

Therefore, if you are going to make a statement about a certain engine, do not say "Engine X is the best choice." Say "I think Engine X is the best choice for Feature Y because..." and properly justify your answer.

That said, I've actually been thinking of trying out Wintermute's 3D support once my current game is complete...
Old 12-29-2005, 03:40 AM   #10
Hitch-Hiker

Well, my programmer friend is really a AGS god (he can do anything with that program) His name is Rui Pires, you'll find him on the AGS website alot. When we were building a game he stated that when using lower res art (not like Runway 2 etc..) in a high resolution it crews with the perspective of the sprites. Wintermute does not do this because it has been optimized for very high resolutions (like runaway 2).

_

Old 12-29-2005, 06:28 AM   #11
Doctor Watson

Quote:
Well, my programmer friend is really a AGS god (he can do anything with that program) His name is Rui Pires, you'll find him on the AGS website alot. When we were building a game he stated that when using lower res art (not like Runway 2 etc..) in a high resolution it crews with the perspective of the sprites. Wintermute does not do this because it has been optimized for very high resolutions (like runaway 2).
Huh? You can use any resolution in Wintermute. The only problem is that the mouse cursor speed is too fast.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:33 AM   #12
Hitch-Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormsie
Huh? You can use any resolution in Wintermute. The only problem is that the mouse cursor speed is too fast.
I'm talking about AGS. The limited resolution is 600x800.

_

Old 12-29-2005, 06:51 AM   #13
El Luchador

Send a message via ICQ to bigjko Send a message via MSN to bigjko

Dude, you not to stop talking about stuff you have limited knowledge of..
Old 12-29-2005, 07:02 AM   #14
Elegantly copy+pasted

Quote:
Using low-res art in high resolution screws with the dimensions because different modes of resolution have different aspect ratios. This has nothing to do with AGS vs WME. It's a basic fact of graphics.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:53 AM   #15
Hitch-Hiker

Don't you all get moody with me... Never mind.

_

Old 12-29-2005, 01:28 PM   #16
Psycho Game Maker

AGS

AdventureMaker

WME features
The Wintermute Engine (WME) is designed to be as flexible as possible yet easy to use. It provides a large set of predefined functions plus a scripting layer, which allows you to implement advanced custom functionality when needed.

Some of the notable WME features:
Multiple layered parallax scrolling for scenes (more)
3D accelerated rendering subsystem. It allows faster drawing and advanced graphical effects such as transparency, alpha blending and antialiasing. WME also provides non-accelerated renderer for compatibility with older video adapters (with advanced effects disabled)
Virtually any resolution is supported; user selectable color depth (either 16bit or 32bit, the engine handles the color conversion automatically)
Actors can move up to 8 directions (more)
Flexible object-oriented scripting language (more)
User-interface layer (more)
Video playback (more)
GUI tools helping you to create the game content; template-based project manager (more)
Scalable game deployment using the package system (more)
Localization support (more)
…and more

In more depth:
Resolution and colors
The engine supports virtually any resolution. Your games may range from 320x200 retro-style to high-res 1024x768 modern looking ones.
Both 16bit (hicolor) and 32bit (true color) color depths are supported. The player can select a color depth appropriate for his computer and the engine handles the color conversion automatically
Mikes Room
Old 12-29-2005, 03:21 PM   #17

Let's settle this thing once and for all:

http://www.googlefight.com/index.php...GS&word2=AGAST

Pwned!
Old 12-29-2005, 05:26 PM   #18
Unreliable Narrator

http://www.googlefight.com/index.php...S&word2=SLUDGE

*giggles*