You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming AG Underground - Freeware Adventures Quest for Glory 2 VGA Remake (and Al Emmo)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2005, 08:37 AM   #21
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Brat
What do those blasted spectacles have to do with his/her ability to properly adventure and globe hop?
If they fall off the entire games goes all blurry.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 10-26-2005, 08:58 AM   #22
fov
Rattenmonster

Okay, I must be going nuts.

I could have sworn I updated the title of this thread a little while ago to reflect that it was also about Al Emmo. Did someone change it back?
Old 10-26-2005, 09:23 AM   #23
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

It wasen't me Honest.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 10-26-2005, 11:26 AM   #24
fov
Rattenmonster

Well, I just changed it again. Let's see if it sticks this time.
Old 10-26-2005, 03:02 PM   #25
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

*logs into specially h4x0r3d duplicate moderator account*

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 10-26-2005, 04:46 PM   #26
The Solomon of Sarcasm

Quote:
But he wears glasses. What adventurer wears glasses?
Bernard.

Advertisers don't program morals into their audiences. It would be bad for business.
--Sara Ogaz, Queen of the World

Just about every adventure game includes you needing to combine a ham and a wrench to make a "porkscrew".
--Kevin Wilson
Old 10-28-2005, 04:59 AM   #27
Groundhog Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by reno6
Thus your avatar?
Exactly like my avatar. If you look at the ratings you'll see that DOTT and my man here ("Bernard") has five stars. Just to prove that it doesn't matter how ugly you are, what matters is "what you do with your mouse".

(What your mouse does to that ugly character for that matter)
Old 11-02-2005, 10:21 AM   #28
Live Slow Die Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolorabi
I think the two first EGA games are the best in the series. The new icon system introduced in the third one (and in a bunch of other Sierra adventures) just isn't as enjoyable to use as the text parser they had in the two first (which was also superior to what you find in their other games with text input). The graphics are much crisper as well.

So what I'd really like is Quest for Glory 4: EGA Remake.
I absolutely agree. QfG1 and 2 are far superior to their follow-ups. This is another completely pointless remake, but to each his own I guess. I miss text parser.

"What adventurers wear glasses?" What a strange question. Heros don't have to be handsome/beautiful (not to say that you can't be with glasses). Don't you find it refreshing when someone breaks away from the mold and puts someone with a bit of character in their adventure?
Old 11-03-2005, 02:19 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy
I absolutely agree. QfG1 and 2 are far superior to their follow-ups. This is another completely pointless remake, but to each his own I guess. I miss text parser.
Pointless beside giving people (like me) who think EGA is ugly and text parsers stupid a chance to enjoy this game, you mean?
Old 11-03-2005, 04:04 AM   #30
Diva of Death

Send a message via MSN to Jeysie

I half-agree with Ninth.

I do think that EGA graphics are beautiful in their own way, however, I absolutely loathe text parsers.

Never fully got into text adventures because of it... I always liked the idea of adventures but hated fighting with the damn parser. I threw a party the day they invented point 'n' click! ;P

And we need more adventurers wearing glasses, IMHO.

Peace & Luv, Liz

"Maybe it's still in the Elemental Plane of Candy."
"Is the Elemental Plane of Candy anything like Willy Wonka's factory?"
"If it is, would that mean Oompa Loompas are Candy Elementals?"
"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
"I like the idea of Oompa Loompa Elementals."
Old 11-03-2005, 04:51 AM   #31
Psychonaut

Tony Tough wears glasses.

Text adventures especially in the early days were a combination of the excitement that the possibilities are endless and the frustration that the parser didn't accept the word you wanted.

Whittled down to the Scumm system of certain verbs, down to 3 options look,use or get.

Finally to the more and more familiar situation today where the possibilities are serverly limited in the games, but there is little frustration.

A balancing act that has tipped too far in the other direction. IMO.

There were some great text adventures though with fantastic parsers that really made you feel like there was nothing you couldn't try in the game.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:00 AM   #32

Send a message via MSN to Cellardoor

A sketch drawing can be equally beautiful as a fully colored and detailed painting. EGA games often have marvelous graphics, some of which I admire more than higher-res games.

The game that for me has the most beautiful graphics is Gold Rush. The art itself is good, and it's a big plus that the artists managed to create so many detail with such backward graphical technology.

Old 11-03-2005, 06:45 AM   #33
El Luchador

Send a message via ICQ to bigjko Send a message via MSN to bigjko

I guess I'm the only one who forgot about the existance of a walk icon and immediately thought this picture was some sort of surrealistic dream scene, where he chases his smaller self (or better yet, is attacked by his bigger self,) that I just always missed when playing the game.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:44 AM   #34
Jack Bauer loves you

Send a message via AIM to artwking4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjko

I guess I'm the only one who forgot about the existance of a walk icon and immediately thought this picture was some sort of surrealistic dream scene, where he chases his smaller self (or better yet, is attacked by his bigger self,) that I just always missed when playing the game.
You're not crazy. This is the little known "peyote" scene that was cut in favor of having the x-ray glasses harem scene. They couldn't have nudity AND drug use in the same game back then.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:56 AM   #35
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21
Finally to the more and more familiar situation today where the possibilities are serverly limited in the games, but there is little frustration.

A balancing act that has tipped too far in the other direction. IMO.
Fair enough. Then again, I first played Quest for Glory with the VGA remake of the first game, so to me, a remake of the second in the same style is perfect.

I played some of the other oldies in their original form, and enjoyed the VGA remakes of those games. I don't really get why people get so offended by point and click remakes (the ones that Sierra made, as well as AGDIs). I just enjoy them as another way to play the game. I especially like seeing the earlier KQ games updated to the graphical standards of the later games... dunno, just makes it feel like they're all part of the same world, finally.
Old 11-27-2005, 12:45 PM   #36
kamikaze hummingbirds

I'm looking forward more to Infamous Adventures's 'Quest For Infamy' where you get to be
EEEE eeee EEEeeEEeVIL
Old 11-27-2005, 06:27 PM   #37
Citizen of Bizarro World

Is Al Emmo supposed to be another pervo adventure like LSL?
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 11-27-2005, 10:52 PM   #38
More slaw!!!

I heard that Himalaya, and thus Al Emmo, are funded by Vivendi and that they got that because of some sort of deal they have going on with them over the remakes theyr'e doing.

Sounds like a kind of dodgy claim to make, though.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:34 AM   #39

Mares: Comparing Al Emmo to LSL wouldn't really be a totally accurate way to describe the game. There are certainly some places which contain similar humour to the LSL games, but most of the sexual references and puns are witnessed in the local bordello (where they're most relevant). The rest of the game plays out in a similar way to Monkey Island; albeit, perhaps with darker humour at times. It's kind of ironic that we have our game making roots based in Sierra remakes, yet Al Emmo often resembles a Lucasarts game! We've implemented what we believed to be the best aspects from both Sierra and Lucasarts adventures and combined them to make a new formula.

Toefur: I'd love it if Vivendi funded the game, mostly because it would have been released months ago and their publicity would be priceless! But nope, Himalaya Studios is completely independant. We've been plugging away at it using our own funds for over three years now.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:57 PM   #40
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

was there a remake of QFG1?