You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming AG Underground - Freeware Adventures KingsQuest9/Space Quest 3 - Vivendi boycott

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2005, 12:05 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventurous One
I can understand people's dislike of fan-games: for the most part, they aren't very good. But KQ9 had the potential to be absolutely brilliant!
So maybe they should rewrite details and make non KQ adventure game, if it
so great? At least if it's great not beacuse of Intelectual Property behind it.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:28 AM   #22

Ok, so maybe the gaming world is too young for fangames to be considered.

When you look at the TV/Movie business, most of the sci-fi series (Star Wars, Star Trek,...) even promote fan-fictions. You have these fan gatherings, fan movies, spoofs and other fan books, and they are encouraged because they generate more involvment of fans in the universe, and therefore encourages to buy more and more stuff (the special superdeluxe digitally remastered edition of the first screenplay of Star Wars, Dr Spock's ears,...).

The computer gaming business OTOH, has always been more protective on their licences, and is generally more reluctant to allow fangames to be made, because it might prevent sales of their new products.

I'm not judging the quality of these fan games here, only stating the point that copyright holders have the right to do what they want, but it's sometimes difficult to understand their point of view
Old 10-10-2005, 05:13 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
That's a tricky question, you see. Quite probably my answer is "no", but not just because they merely worked on KQ remakes, but rather because those games were stunningly good - and they would be such regardless if they were called "King's Quest" or "Monarch's Mission".
'

Monarch's Mission
I like that.
Old 10-10-2005, 06:35 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClémentXVII
Ok, so maybe the gaming world is too young for fangames to be considered.

When you look at the TV/Movie business, most of the sci-fi series (Star Wars, Star Trek,...) even promote fan-fictions. You have these fan gatherings, fan movies, spoofs and other fan books, and they are encouraged because they generate more involvment of fans in the universe, and therefore encourages to buy more and more stuff (the special superdeluxe digitally remastered edition of the first screenplay of Star Wars, Dr Spock's ears,...).

The computer gaming business OTOH, has always been more protective on their licences, and is generally more reluctant to allow fangames to be made, because it might prevent sales of their new products.

I'm not judging the quality of these fan games here, only stating the point that copyright holders have the right to do what they want, but it's sometimes difficult to understand their point of view
You make some irrefutable points there, especially as it applies to KQIX. As I've said before I can understand their motive for SQ3 though, maybe a deal should be made with them to sell the game.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:32 AM   #25
Hoopy frood

Pardon my ignorance, but when was Space Quest 3 VGA cancelled? As far as I can tell from a little searching, I haven't been able to find where this is written. Their website doesn't mention it anywhere, and their forums are totally empty. Unless this happened a long time ago, I can't find any evidence. Can anyone help?
Old 10-19-2005, 06:18 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by reno6
Pardon my ignorance, but when was Space Quest 3 VGA cancelled? As far as I can tell from a little searching, I haven't been able to find where this is written. Their website doesn't mention it anywhere, and their forums are totally empty. Unless this happened a long time ago, I can't find any evidence. Can anyone help?
You could go to the AGDI forums to find out about that.
(off-topic forum, to be precise)

http://www.agdiforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10447

and then

http://www.agdiforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10463
Old 10-19-2005, 10:29 AM   #27
Hoopy frood

Hey, thanks a ton. I was still pulling up sq3vga.by.ru as the home page and I didn't even know 'planetwilco.com' existed. With it turning out to be a quiet cancellation rather than a cease-and-desist, it's no wonder I couldn't find it anywhere. Oh well, thanks again for the update.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:45 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Def_Zeppelin
As many of you already may know Vivendi (VU Games/Sierra) has shut down the production of Kings Quest nine and Space Quest three remakes, which were both nonprofit sequels/remakes of the original series.
Actually, sorry to burst your bubble, but the SQ3 remake wasn't shut down by Vivendi Universal. The project was terminated by the request of the project leader, and another member of the project released information that VU had shut them down. This was not the case, of course.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:54 AM   #29

I just ordered the KQ and LSL compilations. I'm as frustrated by the shut down of KQIX as anyone but what would boycotting the compilations accomplish? Not a thing in my eyes. I think it serves the AG community better if everyone buys the compilations.

By the way, it's unfair to compare KQIX to fanfictions. KQIX was a fan project that was in direct competition to the original IP format wise while fanfictions of movies and TV shows like X-Files, and Star Trek are not. You don't think Fox or Paramount would sit by idly if somebody produces a movie as a sequel to Star Wars or an episode of the X-Files featuring the original characters and distribute them online, do you?
Old 10-24-2005, 09:25 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eivind
Don't you think that buying these compilations would send out the message that people actually care about the franchises?

Buy the compilations; let VU know that you exist!
Buying something especially from VU will only prove the $$$ exist rather than person.

I might re-consider buying if VU make other version of KQ according to fans wished.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:53 PM   #31
The Solomon of Sarcasm

Quote:
Dr Spock's ears,...
Why on earth would you want to buy the ears of such a well-meaning child psychologist?

Advertisers don't program morals into their audiences. It would be bad for business.
--Sara Ogaz, Queen of the World

Just about every adventure game includes you needing to combine a ham and a wrench to make a "porkscrew".
--Kevin Wilson
Old 10-24-2005, 10:24 PM   #32
Grumpy & bitter man

Send a message via ICQ to VoodooFX Send a message via MSN to VoodooFX

This should be in our Underground section. Moved!
Old 11-02-2005, 03:46 PM   #33

Well, I don't know, I think a buying decision should also depend on the behavior of a company. One like EA, who always trample on their old licenses like Need For Speed, who release every year only slight variations from their sport titles and uninspired games based on movie licenses isn't someone worth supporting.
They are actually holding the whole industry into stagnation, only bringing out sequel after sequel, holding on the war games genre, just taking no risk. They could of course, they have the mediums, they could promote it. But maybe it wouldn't pay off really, casual gamers are very suspicious about innovative titles in terms that go over better graphics, physic engine and such. Something different than your average FPS is maybe considered a probably good title, but other than it gets rave reviews, and like we now, for that there must have existed a long hype for such a game. Gamers wouldn't take the risk, just like the industry, and more probably download it or copy it from a friend.
Also, they are damaging the market, buying in small developer studios or making them all anonymous and integrating them into the big corporation body, just like they did with Westwood. Also, like we heard, the working conditions ain't really the best, the programmers and artists are underpaid and more hold like slaves.

So, if you want to support this, buy their games! I personally prefer to support the small developers, like Double Fine. Well, personally, I don't like any EA game, so I don't even have to adjucate about that.
What is probably a bit difficult when a big publisher brings out titles developed by...small developers.

Oh, and about fangames, I don't think that the decision to pick on a already created universe comes from a lack of creativity. Just look at KQII+, what AGDI did with that world is remarkable, they fleshed the story really out, tied the loose ends together, they basically build a sparkling castle on a very bare ground.
Also, KQIX looked really promising, and what I read about it sounded like they had great ideas how to take the story further.
To build an original game doesn't mean that it is very creative either. Just look at many fan adventure games, many of them aren't more than Monkey Island homages.

Pff, I think this was my longest post in english. Sorry if I failed to get my point across.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:33 PM   #34
rex
i go by rex

I didn't know about these fan-games but I definitely would've downloaded them. Just like any other corporation, Vivendi prides itself on shitting on the little guy. I'd like to punch the asshole who decided to needlessly can these projects.