You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming AG Underground - Freeware Adventures King's Quest IX project forced to close

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2005, 09:33 AM   #121
SQ7.org Project Lead

Send a message via ICQ to e1ven Send a message via AIM to e1ven

We perfer the word Zany

That said, you're right htat the SQ community needs to organize. The problem is that there are no real community leaders right now, unlike times in the past.
Jess, with the VirtualBroomcloset, held a lot of people, and created a lot of interest. But he's moving on, having lost faith in Vivendi to release.

Frans, with SpaceQuest.net, was the largest repository of SQ mindshare for a long time, but he too, is finding it difficult to deal with SQ and most of his life, and is moving on, due to a lack of new material.

The other things are symptoms of a weakly managed community.

Space Quest has a LOT of people who care about it, perhaps more than any other series Vivendi released. Look at the number of Space Quest fansites, versus the number of KQ sites...

The problem is, right now there is no one leading the vanguard, and offering a new dream, new games, and a new hope to a new generation.

Sq7.org is trying to produce a new game, but it's intended to be a compliment to the community, where as with Kq9, the website is the Focus of the community.

A lot of people still care, but we need to focus their (our) efforts and attention

-Colin
Old 10-12-2005, 01:29 PM   #122

This news, while disappointing, is not that surprising. The first time I heard of KQIX, my first thought was "Oh, man this is GONNA get Foxed."

My second thought was, "Wow this looks like it's going to be a really cool project - I really hope it DOESN'T get Foxed."

As an independent game developer and a participant in the Dark Forces Mod for Jedi Academy, I found the news to be really tragic, and my thoughts go out to all the folks who worked so hard on it, basically for nought (other than the experience).

But this brings up a really interesting question (since I was thinking of starting a project myself that's based on a previously-released game), namely how does one safely position a project so that people know what it's supposed to represent, yet doesn't infringe on copyrights?

Is it in the game name alone, or are there other factors that must be taken into consideration? Presumably character names and likenesses should also be taken into consideration as well.

There are tons of Tetris clones out there, but it's my understanding (which is possibly incorrect) that you're pretty much OK if you don't have "-tris" in the name. So I was wondering where the boundary is drawn? Does it vary from IP to IP?

Any thoughts?
Old 10-12-2005, 02:38 PM   #123
I turn novels into games

This might be a good time to point out that patents generally last for about 20 years. The idea of king's quest was dreamed up in 1984, just over 20 years ago. If King's Quest was a life-saving drug that cost many millions to develop, it would be public domain by now.

A twenty year copyright period would be plenty of time to make profits and encourage more creation. Long copyright periods do nothing but stifle creativity and reduce everyone's enjoyment.

(Edit: under a twenty year copyright law, the later Kings Quest products would still be copyright, but the idea itself would be public domain. The idea is old. We should reward new ideas, and share old ones.)

Last edited by Enter the Story; 10-12-2005 at 02:43 PM.
Old 10-12-2005, 03:49 PM   #124
Third Guy from Andromeda

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolworthy
Under a twenty year copyright law, the later Kings Quest products would still be copyright, but the idea itself would be public domain. The idea is old. We should reward new ideas, and share old ones.)
Ideas are not copyrightable or patentable. The idea of King's Quest was public domain the moment it was conceived. The specific name is not. I'm not sure how a trademark on the name "King's Quest" inhibits anybody's creativity, unless one's creativity only extends to doing pastiches, imitations, and variations on somebody else's work.

--Josh
Old 10-13-2005, 01:52 AM   #125

Hi,

I just found contact email address for Vivendi

I suggest that you send them a stern message
regarding their's decision against Phoenix Online Studios.

Remind Virendi they gave AGDI to release their King's Quest remakes
and clearly inform them you are going to hold off buying their's games
until they make a deal with Phoenix Online Studios (http://www.kqix.com/)

Do sent your messages at: [email protected]

In closing:
Be sure to ask them not to include your email address for them to sent their's junk mail.

Regards

Last edited by splat44; 10-13-2005 at 02:13 AM.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:37 AM   #126
Under pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by splat44
Remind Virendi they gave AGDI to release their King's Quest remakes
Oh yeah, good idea. AGDI will be pleased with that.

--Erwin
Old 10-13-2005, 04:53 AM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin_Br

--Erwin
It does seem a bit awkward, but then again, if AGDI have reached an agreement with VU, then I might not be that bad.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:03 AM   #128
AGA
AdventureGameAficionado

Sigh. It's really not going to do anything except make them more pissed at the amateur adventure community, splat44. Honestly, just give up. Huge corporations aren't in the habit of changing their mind because of the efforts of a few people.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:36 AM   #129
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGA
Sigh. It's really not going to do anything except make them more pissed at the amateur adventure community, splat44. Honestly, just give up. Huge corporations aren't in the habit of changing their mind because of the efforts of a few people.
I concur.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 10-13-2005, 01:53 PM   #130

Quote:
It does indeed feel rather awkward, mostly because our agreement was never supposed to be pulled into the spotlight like that. That's why we never made any grand announcements in our news journals about this. Of course, regulars on our boards knew...we were allowed to confirm it if asked for it. But it tended to spread VERY gradually over the year and didn't really become major public knowledge until the KQ9-fan crowd started using it as ammunition.

I guess what bothers me a slight bit is that people are more or less demanding VU to set one policy on fangames and stick to that policy without playing favourites...blindly assuming this will result in KQ9 getting official approval.

Old 10-13-2005, 02:34 PM   #131
Under pressure.

They probably regret this agreement already, if people really used it as ammunition in their angry mails. Way to go.

--Erwin
Old 10-13-2005, 07:54 PM   #132
More slaw!!!

With all fairness, Vivendi really should treat fan games the same. Either allow them all, or none at all.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:06 AM   #133

Send a message via AIM to Shard Send a message via Yahoo to Shard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGA

I concur.
I find it very depressing to find that no petitions or protesting ever really work. They did a large campaign to save Angel from going off the air at http://www.saveangel.org/ they didn't manage to save the show though they are still fighting for a Tv Movie or new spin off.

Huge Corperations only see $$$$$$$$$. So really if we want a good and decent KQ9 we'd have to get someone with the money of Trump or Gates to wretch those titles from Vugames. Which I doubt will ever happen, it's a sad day when they just can't let a harmless group of fans celebrate a fandom with a free Fan fiction game.

Would it seriously have hurt them for KQ9 to have gone through? I know they are within their rights but that doesn't make anyone less angry about the whole situation.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:07 AM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by koko
I've been trying to go around to different forums and let them know where to send emails of protest to Vivendi. This is the email I was told to use. PLEASE send those emails and show them your support for the continuation of KQ IX:

[email protected]

I don't know if they will listen, but the more people complaining, maybe the better our chances.

Oh...and *waves* to Jeysie!
According to the following tread:

http://forums.vugames.com/thread.jspa?threadID=6647&tstart=0
They don't allow fan games discusion.

If they decide to re-built King Quest series, it won't according to fan wishes obviously!! It is at theirs disavantages. Perhaps, we should send them a clear word.

Regards

Last edited by splat44; 10-14-2005 at 02:16 AM.
Old 10-15-2005, 04:03 AM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toefur
With all fairness, Vivendi really should treat fan games the same. Either allow them all, or none at all.
Amen To That!
Old 10-15-2005, 04:03 AM   #136

That's an interesting sentiment, but keeping to the "either all of them or none of them"-philosophy basically indicates you'd prefer it if Phoenix' negotiations with VU would fail. Because IF the KQ9-team would get approval, it'd be an approval for their project only and not a blank cheque for the entire fan-game community to cash in upon. Since fangames have varying levels of quality and content-rating, there's no way any copyright holder, VU included, is gonna say: "take our intellectual property and do anything you want with it".

Old 10-15-2005, 04:35 AM   #137
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erpy
That's an interesting sentiment, but keeping to the "either all of them or none of them"-philosophy basically indicates you'd prefer it if Phoenix' negotiations with VU would fail. Because IF the KQ9-team would get approval, it'd be an approval for their project only and not a blank cheque for the entire fan-game community to cash in upon. Since fangames have varying levels of quality and content-rating, there's no way any copyright holder, VU included, is gonna say: "take our intellectual property and do anything you want with it".

So what makes you guys so special that you are allowed to remake games? If this agreement is actual, why haven't other developer been able to get a contract?
Old 10-17-2005, 05:54 PM   #138
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shard
I find it very depressing to find that no petitions or protesting ever really work. They did a large campaign to save Angel from going off the air at http://www.saveangel.org/ they didn't manage to save the show though they are still fighting for a Tv Movie or new spin off.
I think they should just give up with that and bring back Firefly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shard
Huge Corperations only see $$$$$$$$$. So really if we want a good and decent KQ9 we'd have to get someone with the money of Trump or Gates to wretch those titles from Vugames. Which I doubt will ever happen, it's a sad day when they just can't let a harmless group of fans celebrate a fandom with a free Fan fiction game.

Would it seriously have hurt them for KQ9 to have gone through? I know they are within their rights but that doesn't make anyone less angry about the whole situation.
Apparently it could...

But shutting down KQ9 is wrong when they dont even have any intention to make their own sequel

But maybe they decided to send them a C&D cause they realised they could make some money out of this. The game certianly has enough quality to be retail.
Its nice to be optomistic
Old 10-17-2005, 07:27 PM   #139
Plumber-x company

Send a message via AIM to Filmman Send a message via Yahoo to Filmman

Will vugames Are making a New Sequel to the LSL Series it call Leisure Suit Larry Coco BTR here is the Website http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/259753.asp
Old 10-18-2005, 01:38 AM   #140
Super Moderator

Cocoa Butter???