You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming AG Underground - Freeware Adventures King's Quest IX project forced to close

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2005, 05:29 PM   #21
Hoopy frood

Alright, you know what, this is just overly cruel. Shattering it after all the work they put in? All the toil and struggle of game development was about to prove its worth this December, and then this happens. It's all about money and legalities. No heart or soul, only intellectual property and current market place realities.

I really hope the team can just change the names and still put it out. It's a total load of crap to have all that hard work and effort just disappear.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:58 PM   #22

They had no right to do it. That was the first fan-game I was going to play! I say f*ck them, proceed with the project. What can they do? I don't believe they can sue, because this is not an official release.
Old 10-06-2005, 06:22 PM   #23
Rogue Agent

Actually, they probably *could* do a whole lot, like force the developers into a financially distressing lawsuit, ruin their careers through said lawsuit, etc. But anyway, yes, this is horribly cruel and only comfirms everyone's reasons to hate VU Games. Dang it VU, why, WHY do you have to be like this?!!!!
Old 10-06-2005, 06:41 PM   #24
adventurefan99

Just one thing I've wondered... How can a company sue an anonymous person? How could VU Games track down the creators of Kings Quest IV when they don't know where they live, what their names are and so on?
Old 10-06-2005, 07:01 PM   #25
Rogue Agent

Interesting point, but some of the people have their names listed, others don't, but overall, the corporate attack lawyers have the means to shut people down no matter how anonymous they are.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:44 PM   #26
OB

Quote:
They had no right to do it. That was the first fan-game I was going to play! I say f*ck them, proceed with the project. What can they do? I don't believe they can sue, because this is not an official release.
Quote:
Just one thing I've wondered... How can a company sue an anonymous person? How could VU Games track down the creators of Kings Quest IV when they don't know where they live, what their names are and so on?
They have every right to have had it shutdown, and they could sue their brains out if they proceeded. Personally, I think it's a waste of time, and they should leave them alone, but if there's an official KQIX coming, then it has to be done.

They can also track them down easily. The website domain name has to be registered with someone and you can find their address and phone number(I think) by doing a WHOIS search.

Plus, hosts keep logs. They could be found very quickly.

EDIT:

I just tried and found addresses and phone numbers for everyone involved: http://whois.godaddy.com/

Last edited by Orange Brat; 10-06-2005 at 07:49 PM.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:49 PM   #27
gaybrush threepwoody

Send a message via AIM to eriq Send a message via Yahoo to eriq

Like it or not, the King's Quest brand is owned by Vivendi and they're going to do everything in their power to protect the brand.. regardless of whether a sequel is being made or not. It's a business. As pretty as the King's Quest IX project was, I was always curious how they managed to keep Sierra at bay. It was only a matter of time before this happened. And, being a sequel rather than a remake, it was inevitable. Surely the King's Quest brand is still a strong one. Who knows what's in store?
Old 10-06-2005, 07:52 PM   #28
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

If you really wanted to remain anonymous you would have to withhold your name, use a free domain and never work in your home or school/work place, it would have to be an internet cafe.
Several of them infact cause they would be able to track it down and find you

That would pretty much be the only way to carry on with a fan project thats been asked to be stoped...unless your were a hacker and had some other methods of masking your identity
Old 10-06-2005, 08:12 PM   #29
Hoopy frood

Yeah, as much as we don't like it, they have every right to shut it down. Still, though, this is a project that showed a ton of promise, and was so far into development, too. It's a total disappointment that they would choose to nail it for copyright infringment.

One wonders how much longer SQ7.org will be operational.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:13 PM   #30
Third Guy from Andromeda

Actually, for all we know, Vivendi and the KQIX management had ongoing contact and, for whatever reason, this is the result. Perhaps Vivendi wanted distribution rights, perhaps KQIX refused, and so on. We have no idea what might've transpired behind-the-scenes between Vivendi and KQIX, or for how long, or why this was the outcome.

--Josh
Old 10-06-2005, 08:19 PM   #31

this was going to happen. all the adventure fangames are screwd. adgi signed a deal with vivendi about a year ago and has the exclusive rights to create fangames. you heard it here first
Old 10-06-2005, 08:35 PM   #32
Sierra Junkie

Send a message via MSN to avatar_58

I read about this on another forum, really....it was coming and they knew it. They shouldnt have assumed that vivendi wouldnt come after them. They should have either gotten permission or not have started at all.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:19 PM   #33
Citizen of Bizarro World

Some games were never meant to be published...
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 10-06-2005, 09:21 PM   #34
Friendly Server Admin

By the way, to all who were asking:
http://www.adventuregamers.com/under...em.php?id=1074
Old 10-06-2005, 09:41 PM   #35

Sad waste of time and money.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:42 PM   #36
Citizen of Bizarro World

Even though I've never played KQ games, this seemed like a very exciting project. 'Tis a crying shame.
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 10-06-2005, 09:57 PM   #37
LA-S-LE

http://www.mobygames.com/browse/game.../developed-by/
Games developed by Vivendi:
Barbie Beauty Boutique
Jurassic Park III: Dino Defender
Outlaw Golf
Xena: Warrior Princess

To close anything they have to DO anything first.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:55 PM   #38
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I wish I could say that I was surprised by this news, but I can't.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 10-07-2005, 03:46 AM   #39
Multi-dimensional avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurebesh
People, especially the wealthy, and big companies, can sue anyone for anything. Even if they will lose in the longrun, they can still engage their opponent in a legal war of attrition, and basically litigate them to death (or to the poorhouse, whichever comes first). The bigger guy wins since they have more resources at their disposal. If I were the head of the KQ9 team, I would quit the moment that C&D arrived, even if it meant years of work down the drain, and even if I thought the laws were on my side. The alternative would be too horrible.
Old 10-07-2005, 05:18 AM   #40
Third Guy from Andromeda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurebesh
I find it frightening that you feel that a company has no right to defend its copyrights. If Roberta Williams owned the copyright herself, would you feel that SHE had the right to prevent others from ripping off their copyrights? Is it simply the fact that Vivendi is a large company that makes you feel they should not have the final say about their intellectual property?

And what in the world constitutes an official release? The KQIX project had its own website, its own newsletter, released a trailer, and widely publicized its existence. In effect, they not only thumbed their noses at the real copyright holders, but, in fact, did it as publicly and frequently as possible. That is asking for trouble.

There is much to be said for keeping a low profile when you're planning to do something illegal.

--Josh