You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2005, 06:28 PM   #41
Yoda on Steroids

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesleepless
ahh but with my current ideology i dont require a greater profit.
IOW, you tried to make money but failed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesleepless
its a beautiful life.
Yup. You remember that when your best friend is luvin' on your girl, when your home-based company collapses and you're forced to break sweat at the double arches to get by, and when---fifty years and a hundred billion years from now---it plays out that your whole life amounted to nothing but a dinner party for a bunch of maggots eager to suck the remaining carbon-based energy out of your lifeless, limp sack of rotting flesh.

Life's a beaut, for sure.
Old 09-30-2005, 06:56 PM   #42
Elegantly copy+pasted

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffYoda
Lessee. Adventure game developers have a hard enough time finding publishers as it is. You wanna try convincing the Adventure Company to distribute a game whose source code and binaries are freely available all across the 'Net? Your odds of doing that are about equal to your odds of ever making more than 20k a year.
Wow, those sure are relevant arguments about an engine running on Java that uses XML as its scripting language. Clearly, the GPL is the only thing standing between this engine and widespread commercial adoption.

Absolutely every single claim you've made is directly opposite to the truth. I don't even see the point in arguing with you.

So I won't.
Old 10-01-2005, 06:16 PM   #43
SQ7.org Project Lead

Send a message via ICQ to e1ven Send a message via AIM to e1ven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky
Wow, those sure are relevant arguments about an engine running on Java that uses XML as its scripting language. Clearly, the GPL is the only thing standing between this engine and widespread commercial adoption.
Although it's a small point, I'd disagree that it uses XML as a scripting language.

Really, what we're allowing XML for is defining objects- To create an object, specify it's image, location on the screen, etc.

Now, to do scripting, we're using Handlers, which are bits of Java code which can be called from the XML. So for example, if you want to do something simple like move across the room, you could add the "Move to" handler to a character, and then call that from XML.

But if you want to do something complex, Something I'd call scripting, like having a character walk just out of range of your avatar, I'd write a custom handler for that in Java.

It is, in my opinion, an interesting hybrid situation. The quick and easy tasks you can do using XML and calling existing handlers, but anything that needs real power uses a custom Java handler. That avoids the limitation of a custom scripting language.

Keep in mind that the engine is entirely usuable without writing any XML. You can code it entirely in Java if you choose.

Keep in mind, we haven't had an official release yet. We're still getting ready for the Alpha at the end of the month.

-Colin
Old 10-01-2005, 06:29 PM   #44
SQ7.org Project Lead

Send a message via ICQ to e1ven Send a message via AIM to e1ven

We'd probably release with a notice that says something like-

Quote:
What license is SLAGE released under?

Slage has not yet had an official release. When Slage is released, it will probably be released under the GPL, with an exception. The exception states that Handlers developed in the game do not need to have their code released.

Doesn't the GPL mean I need to release my game code? My game will never sell if I do that!

We are not requiring that you release the code to your game. Games are typically written in XML and Handlers. The XML code for your game is a dataformat, and does not need to be made public. Handlers, which are how you script actions, are specifically exempted from being required.

So.. What code would I ever release?

The /only/ code you would ever release is code changing the SLAGE engine. If you change the internal engine, so that it renders fanter, or if you change a scaling feature, or add the ability to play new sound files, you will need to release the code to THOSE FEATURES only.
You will never be expected to release your entire gamecode.

I still hate the GPL, and won't use any software released under it.

Contact us, and we may be able to offer you a release using commercial terms instead of the GPL depending on your needs and budget.

Would that meet your needs? We're actively thinking this over right now. One problem is that technically, if you wanted to, you could probably screw us over by writing engine code in a handler

But we're trying to be accomating to commercial interests, while still asking that we get any improvements made to the Engine codebase.

The more I think about it, the more I think the MPL is the right solution.
The MPL lets you combine the code with non-licensed code as part of a larger work, such as your game.

It asks that you post your modifications to the original source, but doesn't make you post your whole game.

Advice welcomed.
-Colin

Last edited by e1ven; 10-01-2005 at 08:21 PM.