You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Broken Sword 3 - Which platform?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2003, 05:45 AM   #1

Default Broken Sword 3 - Which version?

Which of the versions of Broken Sword 3 is the best? Is there any big diffrencies?
I haven't read anything about this in any review. Is there a review that writes about this?
Old 11-21-2003, 05:55 AM   #2
Friendly Server Admin

They're the same game. The differences are that the resolution on a PC is much higher, but that control on a console is much easier (or you could use a PC gamepad if you have one).
Old 11-21-2003, 06:14 AM   #3
AKA Morte

Send a message via MSN to Garyos

Also, the console versions apparently have pretty hefty loading times.
Old 11-21-2003, 06:23 AM   #4
merely human

If your PC can handle it, go for that version! Use a gamepad. The graphics are far more crisp and the featured effects - the luminous radiosity lighting, high poly count, and rich saturated colours - are heightened and more vivid. On your PC monitor you won't get the 'smeared out soft focus' low t.v. resolution (that's even on HDTV). But if your computer isn't current enough, get the Xbox version at least - next best thing.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 11-21-2003, 08:19 AM   #5
:P ^^^ at tamz

Send a message via ICQ to twifkak Send a message via AIM to twifkak Send a message via MSN to twifkak Send a message via Yahoo to twifkak

Can anybody recommend a good PC gamepad? I've decided it's too much trouble to find (well, it seems like the only option is to import) an xbox controller->usb adapter.

through a broadband ISP | i am back to steal your bandwidth

--Spammo-head, "Windbag"
Old 11-21-2003, 11:24 AM   #6
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by twifkak
Can anybody recommend a good PC gamepad? I've decided it's too much trouble to find (well, it seems like the only option is to import) an xbox controller->usb adapter.
Yeah, I second the request. I could use a good one.
Old 11-21-2003, 12:28 PM   #7
merely human

I have a Thrustmaster Firestorm Dual Power gamepad. It's good and solid, not unnecessarily complicated and fancy for playing a game like BS3. It feels comfortable, much of it is covered in light rubber so it won't slip in your hands. It's got 12 programmable buttons, so you can customize as much or as little as you want. There's a force feedback feature if the game calls for it, but I don't use it. I originally bought it to play Silent Hill 2 but I got so used to the keyboard config that I just set the gamepad aside. I'll most likely use it again for BS3 and probably for Silent Hill 3. It's been well recommended and reviewed all around.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 11-21-2003, 02:36 PM   #8

Send a message via ICQ to twifkak Send a message via AIM to twifkak Send a message via MSN to twifkak Send a message via Yahoo to twifkak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Thrustmaster Firestorm Dual Power
Leave it to Marketing to underestimate the geeks. Either that, or leave it to the geeks to give the other geeks a bad reputation. Either that, or just leave it to the tech industry to come up with lots of really stupid names.

Anyways... Thanks for the review, Trep. That looks good.

--Spammo-head, "Windbag"
Old 11-21-2003, 02:43 PM   #9
merely human

Quote:
Thrustmaster Firestorm Dual Power
Hmmm..... gaming peripheral, or marital aid?
Old 11-21-2003, 02:54 PM   #10

The *dirty mind* is on me, this time...

--Spammo-head, "Windbag"
Old 11-21-2003, 03:01 PM   #11

After a good 30 seconds of relentless searching, I found out that a wireless version of the same controller is coming out in 9 days. http://www.bytewizecomputers.com/products/7/63/249/4826

Hrmm..

--Spammo-head, "Windbag"
Old 11-21-2003, 04:16 PM   #12
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:

I have a Thrustmaster Firestorm Dual Power gamepad. It's good and solid, not unnecessarily complicated and fancy for playing a game like BS3. It feels comfortable, much of it is covered in light rubber so it won't slip in your hands. It's got 12 programmable buttons, so you can customize as much or as little as you want. There's a force feedback feature if the game calls for it, but I don't use it. I originally bought it to play Silent Hill 2 but I got so used to the keyboard config that I just set the gamepad aside. I'll most likely use it again for BS3 and probably for Silent Hill 3. It's been well recommended and reviewed all around.
Thanks for the review, Trep My only concern is that D-pad. It looks kind of ill-defined to me. Have you had any problems with it? I'm probably just seeing things that aren't there... Oh, and these things connect with USB I assume, right? I'm already short on USB ports as it is

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 11-22-2003, 04:52 AM   #13

Quote:
If your PC can handle it, go for that version! Use a gamepad. The graphics are far more crisp and the featured effects - the luminous radiosity lighting, high poly count, and rich saturated colours - are heightened and more vivid. On your PC monitor you won't get the 'smeared out soft focus' low t.v. resolution (that's even on HDTV). But if your computer isn't current enough, get the Xbox version at least - next best thing.
Do you mean that the Ps2-version is ugly compared to the PC-version?
It doesn't look that way on pictures.
Old 11-22-2003, 06:33 AM   #14
AKA Morte

Send a message via MSN to Garyos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itos
The resolution is way lower. And the anti-aliasing may not be as good...

Also, the loading times on the PS2 SUCK! I tried it myself in a store the other day... (yes, the PS2 version has been out for a WEEK here! I want the PC version! )
Old 11-22-2003, 07:14 AM   #15
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itos
No, I never said or even meant that the PS2 version is ugly compared to PC. Graphically, the PC version has the highest quality primarily because of the high resolution and the powerful graphics cards capabilities (at least 32MB). And never, ever trust official pictures/screenshots from any game, Itos. Chances are they have been 'doctored' to artificially look better than they actually do on the screen, even PC. I would say the PC version is the best looking (sharp high res, full graphical features, anti-aliasing, anisotropic filtering, etc.), and after that Xbox, then PS2.

Garyos more or less summed it up, Itos. Additionally, the PS2 is the least powerful of all the current available consoles (it being the oldest), so I'm not sure how BS3 had been 'simplified' for its limitations in terms of graphics, saves, level loading, etc.
Old 11-22-2003, 08:30 AM   #16
rare groove

Send a message via ICQ to Pappapisshu

Quote:
I would say the PC version is the best looking (sharp high res, full graphical features, anti-aliasing, anisotropic filtering, etc.), and after that Xbox, then PS2.
Absolutely, it most certainly is like that. What I'd like to know is if the PS2-version is fine by itself. Not comparing with PC och Xbox, but rather other PS2 games. If it looks fine.
Old 11-22-2003, 09:11 AM   #17
merely human

Oh, I'm sure it looks fantastic for as far as the PS2's engine is willing to go. I mean, look at Silent Hill 3 - gorgeous. So yeah, I'd bet Revolution exploited the PS2 to its full capabilities for BS3.

It's simply that because Xbox and PC are more powerful, the game's stronger features can really be maximized. For example, there's the option for anti-aliasing on the PC (if your graphics card supports it), where Nico would look as sharply rounded, precise, crisp, and sensuous as a Lalique crystal. In the PS2 version the t.v.'s low resolution doesn't require AA but Nico ends up looking soft focus, not sharply defined and rounded. And the PC would have the shortest loading times of all, and maybe even fewer loads because it can fit larger chunks of the game's levels. The PS2, though, may have had to split up the levels more because of hardware limitations.
Old 11-23-2003, 11:11 AM   #18
Friendly Server Admin

Trep, I actually couldn't find that gamepad anywhere. Not even on eBay. I found it on Thrustmaster's site, but the store was broken when I tried it, so I gave up.

In the end, I bought an XBOX->USB adapter for $8.50 on eBay. I'll post how it works when it arrives.

Besides, who could resist the "Super Joy Box 9"
Old 11-23-2003, 11:24 AM   #19
merely human

Oh good, tabsie! Problem solved!
Old 11-23-2003, 12:11 PM   #20
AGA
AdventureGameAficionado

I have a PS2 --> USB converter for my PC, it's great for playing driving games like GTA. I used the keyboard controls for BS3 though, because it's what I'm used to.