You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure How Important Are Adventure Games to you?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2005, 11:21 AM   #1
Shady AGP

Send a message via AIM to Wreck
Default How Important Are Adventure Games to you?

I grew up with these games, and a lot of my childhood computer memories are definately playing Adventure Games. My sister and I had a large bonding time meeting the Harpies in KQ5, walking the Catacombs in KQ6, trying not to die of Fever in Goldrush, and even up to the last few years, replaying all the Kings Quests, Space Quests, playing Grim, Longest Journey, Black Mirror... They're a very exciting piece of my life (not to sound like a total loser but I think I can safely say it on this forum)

We hook the computer up to the 60" TV and we set up a mouse and keyboard and play them in the living room with food and snacks. It rocks for a weekend of working your way through new games and even replaying old ones
Old 07-28-2005, 11:57 AM   #2
SamNMax

They're a huge part in my life. The best part of my day is coming home and firing up whatever I'm playing and shutting out the rest of the world.

Old 07-28-2005, 01:03 PM   #3
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamNMax
They're a huge part in my life. The best part of my day is coming home and firing up whatever I'm playing and shutting out the rest of the world.
I totally agree!

SamNMax, that is one of the most mature things I think you have posted (please take this as the compliment it is meant to be )

Adventure games play a large role in my life - unfortunately when I was with my girlfriend, adventures games usually came first

But, yes, games are very important - they provide a great way of relaxing after a hard day of work or school
Old 07-28-2005, 02:54 PM   #4
Codger

They're an important, but nevertheless a minor part of my life. There are any number of other things I would rather do than play an adventure game. Play a round of golf and cook a gourmet meal are two.

It is wonderful to have a good game to play when the mood strikes me. But it is certainly are not the sole recreational vehicle available.

Anyone who says AGs are in the 8-10 range, with 10 being "life is not worth living without them" really needs to get out more. Fortunately, nobody has made that statement.

Tim

Last edited by rtrooney; 07-28-2005 at 04:37 PM.
Old 07-28-2005, 03:10 PM   #5
merely human

Gaming in general is an important part of my life, although many other things - friends, family, my lover, travelling, life away from the computer screen - are far more important. I don't ever place adventure games above any other kinds, if I like a game I like a game, no matter what genre. But I usually play for the story and exploration, and for the game's visual and aural beauty.

That said, adventure games do have some particular significance for me, otherwise I wouldn't be working for this site and modding and socializing in the forums. What I'm most passionate about, though, is how this entire medium of interactive narrative, interactive digital worlds, is offering us possibilities and experiences unparalleled by anything else in our lives.

These are the strengths of games, and it's also why I've been frustrated by the adventure game genre's lack of momentum and progress at large in the past several years. I don't do cobwebs and dust, I consider myself a kind of 'true' adventurer in that I'm curious as to how humanism, creativity, vision, and imagination can be harmonized with and propelled by progressive technology. I can only stay dormant for so long, I'm very human this way. This is mostly why I'm truly excited by games like Facade, Indigo Prophecy, and Dreamfall.

Someone else's idea of an adventure may be just moving a cursor over a static image looking for hotspots. Mine just happens to be scanning the horizons for new challenges and experiences in whatever shape or form they take. And isn't that what a true adventure is? It is to me.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 07-28-2005, 05:15 PM   #6

on a scale from a 1-10 probably a 6/10 because theres other types of game genres out there that I could fall back on even some classics in other genres i can fondly remember
Old 07-28-2005, 08:03 PM   #7
I'm complicated

Send a message via MSN to smashing

Honestly speaking, gaming is not an important part of my life. It's but just one of the many many leisure activities that I engage with, whenever I manage to come across some free time. However, when it comes to gaming, adventure games would definitely be up there, along with other classics that I'd grew up with like Space Invader and Alley Cats. In fact, these days, I'd spend more time trying to get classics to work whenever I sit down in front of my over-powering PC. And seriously considering building an ancient 386-dx 133MHz with a 72Mb HDD just to run some of the games on floppy discs.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:25 PM   #8
gaybrush threepwoody

Send a message via AIM to eriq Send a message via Yahoo to eriq

Gaming is a passion for me. It conjures vivid dreams when I sleep, helps ease my stress, makes good conversation, aaaaah I could go on. Adventure games are the reason why I'm doing what I'm doing today. They help pay the bills, they inspire me to be a better artist... so many great things. They were a huge part of my life when I was a kid and they're a HUGE part of my life now.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:58 PM   #9
fov
Rattenmonster

I hate them.

That's why I spend so much time around here.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:50 PM   #10
Prove it all night

Send a message via MSN to James

Adventure games are the most important form of gaming to me. Despite attempts and intentions to remove the shackles of genre, the gaming press and developers, publishers alike enjoy the comfort that comes with defining games in such a manner. In this regard, the "true" adventure which Beiddie referenced has become lost in the shuffle. The traditional form of adventure has become stale and commercially unviable, and new-wave adventures are few and far between, with only 3 promising titles on the horizon. The future of adventure elements in gaming; that is narrative and dialogue interaction with characters, non combative forms of environmental and character interaction, and object manipulation, are extremely important if gaming wants to develop as a medium beyond its core fanbase and into the mainstream. Therefore "adventures" are important to me as a player, a designer, and a fan of videogames.
"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible." - Thomas Edward Lawrence
Old 07-29-2005, 12:06 AM   #11
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

This is not an easy question for me to answer. I've been playing games on the PC since '86 when I got my first one. My (now dead) roommate nurtured my interest in adv games since 2001, and it has grown markedly in the 2 1/2 years since he died.

Finding a community of adv games lovers, where each game and each and every part of them can be both lovingly and hatingly (is there such a word?) discussed is both interesting and delightful. That there are several such communities on the net devoted to adv games allows you to find the one best suited to your own temperament.

As an admin/mod in a small quiet forum, and as a member in this and one other forum as regulars, I spend two + hours daily on the topic and sharing thoughts with friends. On my days off that can expand to several more hours. This is not my only interest outside of work, but it is an important one to me for right now. And this community allows me to to be open about my interest without being defensive about devoting time to games.

And I want to thank all of you for the numerous interesting discussions to be had here.

Lynsie
Old 07-29-2005, 12:26 AM   #12

I absolutely love adventure games, and they are among my favorite "things to do" but I could live without them (and have done so for a few years, before going back to them).
Old 07-29-2005, 01:34 AM   #13
Fulci lives

When i was a kid i used to be a hardcore gamer, playing games of all genres on my Commodore 64 and Amiga.
Now as an adult my interest in games have almost disappeared, but i still play adventure games, this genre i will never abandon.
Old 07-29-2005, 01:43 AM   #14
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairygdmther
hatingly (is there such a word?)
Hatefully.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 07-29-2005, 03:35 AM   #15

Send a message via MSN to picasso
Default Adventure games rule

Once I started playing adventure games when I was young, the first one being Hero Quest 1, I was sold to this genre of games! Now I'm 31 years old, and still I can't get enough of all those beautiful adventure games: the only thing is that I'm lacking the time to play them, so I'm not occupied playing games during the whole night like I used to when I had nothing to do !!

Now I'm currently awaiting these games:
- Dreamfall
- Fahrenheit (Indigo Prophecy)
- NiBiRu

Especially looking forward to Dreamfall, since The Longest Journey is one of the best games I've played until now...

I'm now going to start playing Syberia 2, after having played Syberia 1 and also loving this adventure.

The best kind of adventure games are for me still the ones with an inventory, third-person and point-and-click interface. I'm hoping there will be more of this soon... !
Old 07-29-2005, 04:30 AM   #16
Life and times of...

Adventure games suck.

They suck the boredom and dullness and badness out of your life and make it good

Seriously though, I really can't say how big of a part adventure games play in my life... I love 'em, but I don't have the money to go and buy a lot of them, so I can't really be playing them all the time. However I do remember all the fun times I had with my brother when we were younger. I do have more important things in my free time too, like soccer or Magic: the Gathering, but... Bah, I don't know. I guess I could go with what Lanze did and get a scale from 1 to 10... I'd also say it would be 6/10...

Or something.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:59 AM   #17
Shady AGP

Send a message via AIM to Wreck

Yeah. I agree with every statement made here. Even thought they're a great fun part of my life, and prolly one of the happier memorable things I like to look back on and still do, I do have other great things. Wonderful girlfriend, good job in the market, I enjoy modding my car (below)

I really enjoy cooking. My girlfriend is a Chef (food is good)

For the past 2 months I've been working on my own adventure game. Space Quest V.V. It's definately something you all will like when it's finished
Old 07-29-2005, 05:24 AM   #18
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPtimist
Adventure games suck.

They suck the boredom and dullness and badness out of your life and make it good
This is precious. Can I put it in my sig?

Me, I could definitely live without adventures as a genre, an abstract term. But the notion of not being able to play those numerous individual, exciting games (whether already existing or under development) which I hadn't played yet, would make me very, very sad. And just so happens that 90% of those titles are from the Adventure category.
Old 07-29-2005, 05:53 AM   #19
Mrs. Bear

Send a message via AIM to natalia

To me, right now at this point in my life adventure games are a sort of a god send. It’s hard being a transplant, and while I love this new city that I’m in, my one friend, my one link to California here just moved away. And on weekends like this, when my fiance is away on his bachelor party, settling into a good adventure game keeps me from brooding.

I guess I’m kind of an introvert, a dreamer, and a voracious reader (I’ll read anything: classics, trashy magazines, nutritional labels on cans of food while I’m cooking ), so adventure games are a perfect fit.
Old 07-29-2005, 05:56 AM   #20

I play all manner of game genres, although adventure games are my favourite. I wouldn't say they were particularly important on their own, but I game quite a lot and gaming as a whole is a lot of fun and I don't think life would be half as fun without video games.