You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Broken Sword 3: what do you think so far?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2003, 12:00 AM   #1

Default Broken Sword 3

Still playing the game and really enjoying it! Although I've been stuck at a certain point for about two days but never mind. What do you guys think of the game so far?
Old 11-17-2003, 12:03 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Loved it from start to finish, though as with all good adventures they're never long enough.
It has one of the most emotional cutscenes I've ever seen, but I won't spoil it for you.

My only criticism is the number of crate puzzles there are, but you can find that out by reading any review.
Old 11-17-2003, 12:30 AM   #3

yea i'm at the theatre bnit and theres been quite a damn few create puzzles...bit of a shame that...i enjoy other puzzles more..in 1 and 2 they had some great clue finding puzzles...this one has been lackin a bit...
Spoiler:
one bit i didn't even know i had to jump over a wall just to find a damn wig lol
Old 11-17-2003, 12:47 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye-Z
yea i'm at the theatre bnit and theres been quite a damn few create puzzles...bit of a shame that...i enjoy other puzzles more..in 1 and 2 they had some great clue finding puzzles...this one has been lackin a bit...
Spoiler:
one bit i didn't even know i had to jump over a wall just to find a damn wig lol
The number of crates puzzles increases as you go through the game and I am getting a bit fed up of them. The other thing you get a little too much of in this game is having to move your character quickly to make sure that he/she doesn't die. This is so dependent on your keyboard moving skills and not adventure at all that I find it very frustrating At one point in the game, there are two of these quick move moments, one after the other, so that if you make it on the first one and then bodge it on the second, you have to do them both again and there is no way to save in between. It took me ages to get past this point and drove up my blood pressure in the process All this means, I am not enjoying this game as much as I enjoyed Broken Sword 1 and I am slightly disappointed.
Old 11-17-2003, 12:49 AM   #5
AGA
AdventureGameAficionado

Apart from the few reaction-based puzzles and the billion-and-one box (or box-shaped object) moving puzzles, the puzzles are really good, often quite original.
Old 11-17-2003, 02:23 AM   #6

Yeah the crate puzzle do get annoying. But the rest of the game makes up for it.
Old 11-17-2003, 03:29 AM   #7

Am I the only one who didn't really mind the crate puzzles? I kind of liked them actually. ::shrug:: I found this game to be very good, and wish there was more =( One thing I noticed after beating it is that
Spoiler:

It says you have "unlocked things" the only thing I found that was unlocked was the concept art. I also found it odd that you load the beaten game file (if you chose to save it) and if you start a new game it adds on to your time. Do you think there would be any differences playing through it a second time on the same file? Maybe an alternate ending or something?
Old 11-17-2003, 04:00 AM   #8

Well, I've played through a bit now and I think it's brilliant.

I took a little while to get used to which button tends to do which action but I must say I really like the interface (I'm using keyboard). I think this game really proves how much more immersive direct control is than point & click without even going down the action route. The story is very intrigueing and it really grabs you from the start. I also love the characters. George and Nico are still sharp as ever but the new characters are also very good.

... and beyond that, the art, animation, music and voice acting is fantastic, so that also helps.

The only possible critisism I could think of is that it's still very much a linear affair. You can choose to do or not do certain things, and do things in a different order, but there don't appear to be any real choices that directly affect the plot.
Old 11-17-2003, 04:53 AM   #9

I'm about half way through and really enjoying it.

Great game, although on Xbox there seem to be an incredible number of long loading screens. It completely wrecks the mood in a number of scenes and makes backtracking between some locations painful. This isn't helped by the fact that I think my disk was part of a bad run and it seems to crash about 20% of the time during these loading screens...

There are a fair few animation glitches as well. For instance, whenever I move the character over to a door to open it, there's a duff frame before the loading screen where the main character snaps to a different position and different animation...

Anyone else playing the Xbox version? Are your loading times long (and unstable) as well? I might have to go back to the shop and swap it for a PC copy. I'm regretting not getting one now...
Old 11-17-2003, 06:07 AM   #10
guybrush_guy

I think the game is good so far. The crates are getting a little annoying but, I only have a problem with it because it's not the standard adventure aspect...moving crates is still using logic but I rather make a rope out of a rubber chicken and string. The voice acting is very nice and the animation is amazing. The "action" scene's where you have to respond quickly reminded me of shenmue. I’m having a little difficulty with the movement but I’ve been only playing the game for a total of three hours, I should have the controls down by the end of the day. I keep using the MI4 controls where I constantly hold down the up arrow and then pivot between the left and rite buttons.... with all this said I really think that this is going to be a great game....

P.S. just a thought I have...I think the new longest journey game would work great with this interface (but with less crate puzzles)

Last edited by guybrush_guy; 11-17-2003 at 06:16 AM.

Old 11-17-2003, 05:05 PM   #11

I like everything about BS3 except:

- controls: characters are zigzagging, I cannot make them go straight along the pavement for example (PC version - keyboard controls)
- there are a few problems with the animation: the way edges are displayed - dazzling; overlapping objects sometimes

That is annoying and spoils the experience a bit
Old 11-17-2003, 05:59 PM   #12
Bearly Here

Quote:
At one point in the game, there are two of these quick move moments, one after the other, so that if you make it on the first one and then bodge it on the second, you have to do them both again
I almost lost it at that point. I ended up borrowing a save from someone else fo r that part. I never could get George to run in the right direction. I finished the game last night and what is weird is that there were a number of more intricate running sections after that problem place and they all went smoothly. Almost makes me wonder if there isn't some weird interface glitch with my graphics setup mucking things up with that one scene.
Old 11-17-2003, 07:51 PM   #13
Novice Member

Hey, whatever happened to that Broken Sword 3 demo?
Old 11-17-2003, 08:04 PM   #14
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Is there definitely one coming out? I sure hope so...

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 11-17-2003, 08:05 PM   #15

Hi I'm playing it on the x-box as well. You might have to go back and swap it for another x-box one. Now I'm not that far... still in the theatre... but up until now I've had no crashes. Yes there are a lot of loading screens but as I remember I used to have those on my pc as well. I just find the keypad on the x-box so much more pleasant than my keyboard. I mean I'm sitting back on my couch, with chips and disgruntled boyfriend, who complains we don't talk anymore, and having a blast.

ciao

Valerie
Old 11-17-2003, 09:32 PM   #16
AGA
AdventureGameAficionado

LauraMac, I had exactly the same trouble. I had to get someone else to do that section for me too.
Old 11-18-2003, 12:55 AM   #17

:d I Am So Happy B/c I Will Get My Copy In About 40 Min.

( Al7amdoleallah ) Thank You Allah
Old 11-18-2003, 09:01 AM   #18

I'm really enjoying Broken Sword 3 as most of you are, I think its a great game.
I don't really mind the box puzzles either, I think they are done quite well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimus
I'm about half way through and really enjoying it.

Great game, although on Xbox there seem to be an incredible number of long loading screens. It completely wrecks the mood in a number of scenes and makes backtracking between some locations painful. This isn't helped by the fact that I think my disk was part of a bad run and it seems to crash about 20% of the time during these loading screens...

There are a fair few animation glitches as well. For instance, whenever I move the character over to a door to open it, there's a duff frame before the loading screen where the main character snaps to a different position and different animation...

Anyone else playing the Xbox version? Are your loading times long (and unstable) as well? I might have to go back to the shop and swap it for a PC copy. I'm regretting not getting one now...
I've got the Xbox version and also find the loading times to be quite long, it's sometimes annoying when you have to run between two rooms and it has to load each time you go between them, especially with how long it takes to load. But because I'm enjoying the game I don't really mind. I'm not finding it unstable though, hasn't crashed on me.

All in all, it's a very good game.

Gareth B.
Old 11-18-2003, 09:25 AM   #19
ACK!

Send a message via MSN to Tanukitsune

I just got it! Yay! But I spend HOURS fidgeting with the sound and graphic configuration to make it work....
I only made it the the first part with Nico, but hey I only played a few minutes....
Old 11-18-2003, 11:12 AM   #20
Umbilicus Mundi

Crate puzzles? What the duck? Are you serious?

What are they? Like sokoban?

Vote for more crates (and toilets) in games!