You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Broken Sword 3 - What do you think? (Spoilers)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2003, 12:42 AM   #1
Whinging Pom

Send a message via ICQ to DomStLeger Send a message via MSN to DomStLeger
Default Broken Sword 3 - What do you think? (Spoliers)

Ok what are your honest thoughts on Broken Sword 3?

(warning contains spoilers. Only read if you've completed the game...)

Me, well I'm very disappointed! Why? Because I've completed one of the best damn adventure games I've played in years. It is superb in my opinion.

The graphics are just amazing imo, everything from the detail of the textures through to the engine and the very good cinematic feeling you get throughout. The characters look great, and you actually get to see a proper use of faces in this game, with facial expressions etc. And the game engine is just superb; the controls are as intuitive as they claim, and the 3D opens up an amazing range of new puzzles. The lighting though was especially impressive I felt.

Spoiler:
The lighting outside the theatre for both Nico (scaffolding) and George (book repository) I felt was especially good - so atmospheric. The red lights on the scaffolding lighting nico, made me feel like she was really there; a part of the environment. The other place I was impressed by was Prague. The castle was amazingly well lit; and it built a great atmosphere. I especially liked the bits with George trying to enter the castle; again very atmospheric.

I thought the plot was also great, something Revolution always does well (BS1, BS2, ICB, BASS; the plots were all big strengths), and it has a great ending. Also it had great dialogue with some very funny conversations and one Georges trademark funny comments. The puzzles are integrated really well into the game, and they're all enjoyable. Theres a great mix of traditional inventory & conversation puzzles, logic puzzles and a few stealth style puzzles.

Spoiler:
The stealth puzzles are especially good and well thoughtout; especially Prague where you have to sneak into the castle. I'm glad though they haven't been mentioned much hitherto, because I can see people getting the wrong impression and thinking they're action parts. They make the game much more thrilling. Though I did feel that the one in the Templar Catacombs was a little gratuitous and difficult. You have to cross the same room 3 times, and that did irritate.

The only negative thing I'd say (and it's been said before) is that there are a few too many crate puzzles, though they are enjoyable enough and it's only a minor problem. But it's great to see an adventure game in 3D that actually uses 3D to create new gameplay. I don't think either GK3 or Grim fandango really made use of the 3D environments. Whoever said Rev took 3D and turned it into an adventure game, rather than took an Adventure game and turned it 3D is right I think.

Spoiler:
It was great to see the 3D climbing style exploration/puzzles, especially on the roof tops of the castle in prague and outside the theatre again. Did anyone else feel like they were playing Cary Grant on those rooftops, in To Catch a Thief. I loved the atmosphere those bits added to the game.

The music was superb, Ben McCullough and Rev did an amazing job creating and using music to build atmosphere in game. I won't say more to try to keep this post short (I've failed haven't I ).

Overall I throughly enjoyed Broken Sword: The Sleeping Dragon, and would definately recommend it to people. It's the best adventure game I've played in years, and for me easily beats Syberia, The Longest Journey and other newer adventures. In terms of 3D games, I enjoyed it more than Grim Fandango but I've never really been overly enthusiastic about GF so take that with a pinch of salt. Though I have to say, I want to thank Revolution for producing such a refreshing and enjoyable adventure game and I can't wait for whatever they do next.

There are some minor flaws in this game, but I haven't mentioned all of them myself (the few there are) because I wanted to see what everyone else has to say. What do you think? Was it worth the wait? And where do you rank it compared to other adventure games?
Still Get Mozilla Firefox! Forget that Chrome and IE rubbish!

Last edited by DomStLeger; 11-16-2003 at 12:53 AM.
Old 11-16-2003, 12:48 AM   #2
AKA Morte

Send a message via MSN to Garyos

*typesd wgule covering eyes*

Damn tgis tgread! Damn ut!
Old 11-16-2003, 12:54 AM   #3
Whinging Pom

Send a message via ICQ to DomStLeger Send a message via MSN to DomStLeger

Hehe edited to make it even clearer... Don't read if you're not finished, (though I've tried to keep spoilers in spoiler tags)
Still Get Mozilla Firefox! Forget that Chrome and IE rubbish!
Old 11-16-2003, 01:11 AM   #4

Default Broken Sword

I've just started and shamefully have to admit that I'm going to peek in a walkthrough. Anyway, I'm happy to say that I'm well pleased with the game. I'm playing it on my X-box, the controls are very easy to master and actually come pretty close to still being very click-and-pointesque. Up until now I'm really enjoying it. I do however think its a pity that we cant get a 360° view. That's something I have gotten used to on the xbox.

I'll let u know how it goes.

ciao for now,
Valerie
Old 11-16-2003, 02:34 AM   #5
Hardcore Adventure Ninja!

Hi guys, long time no see. Just re-registert in order to tell you my view on the game. I'm going into spoilers here so beware:

I just solved this gem and boy...this was great. A such cinematic and fluid feeling was seldom reached by any adventure. A thrilling ride from the beginning to the end.

I especially liked the superb graphics and puzzles. The plot stands above anything and this makes it easely the best BS game yet (at least IMO). The locations were great as well. The quarter in Paris and the English village are extremely cool and I instantly felt the GKIII exploration feel.

Last time I have had so much fun was when I bought GK3. Overall I loved almost anything but there are a few negative points though.

- The barrell puzzles. Others complained that I'll do it as well. Though I gotta say they tried to make it difficult. Sometimes I had to think hard how to progress. Not that bad but awefully repeating.

- The Stealth parts. Well...I love the action sequences. I really enjoyed them but the stealth parts annoyed me. Of course they were easely done but especially in Prag it was too much.

- The interface was about as good as it can get with a keyboard. Though I hit many walls on my long journey.

- As a big fan of the previous BK games I'm a bit disappointed with the Nico/George outcome. Not even a kiss....damn.

So, all im all an absolut smasher! I really hope there will be a 4th game.

5 out of 5. period.

Great...now I'm looking forward to Tony Though and the Westerner.
Old 11-16-2003, 03:03 AM   #6
Super Moderator

There is just a bit of the plot that leaves me slightly confused though...

Spoiler:
Why were they trying to kill Bruno in Glastonbury, if they needed him at the Armillary (or however it was spelt)?

And I definitely agree with general opinion on the crates puzzles. Far too many of them.
Old 11-16-2003, 03:45 AM   #7
I create. Therefore I am.

Send a message via MSN to jannar85

I hate the damn running!
I can't progress.... I just die....

Anyone have the savegame for Paris 3 - after George and Nico has ran away from that power source or something?

Click the name, to join its Facebook Page!

My Games
Old 11-16-2003, 03:50 AM   #8
in 256 Colors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Baldwin
There is just a bit of the plot that leaves me slightly confused though...

Spoiler:
Why were they trying to kill Bruno in Glastonbury, if they needed him at the Armillary (or however it was spelt)?

And I definitely agree with general opinion on the crates puzzles. Far too many of them.
Spoiler:
It was the grand master who wanted to kill him. Not Susarro.