You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure How scary are Still Life and In Memoriam? Looking to catch up on adventure games too.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2005, 02:59 AM   #1

Default How scary are Still Life and In Memoriam? Looking to catch up on adventure games too.

Hello everybody!

I was just wondering how scary either of those games are... because i'm a person that's not faint of heart, but would rather not be disturbed by something, i've a vivid imagination and a long memory. Let me clarify, Resident Evil 4, Half Life 2, no problem, Alone in the Dark or adventure games where you can get killed and it shows you a scary face or something are more of a problem. Maniac Mansion and Shadowgate haunt me still Maybe i'm thinking more along the lines of disturbing rather than gorey or making you jump? Still won't look at mirrors in the dark after Eternal Darkness and (Japanese) The Grudge

I really enjoy games like Longest Journey and Syberia (and if we're talking history, Monkey Island and Simon the Sorceror) not got too far on Syberia, it's getting creepy though, hope it doesn't go all weird like Mystery of the Druids. I've been out of the loop though, so I'm trying to catch up on good adventure games. You know what? I bought In Memoriam when it came out just in case it sold poorly and would become unavailable (how I wish i'd done that with Syberia 2, can't get it for love nor money! ) but haven't psyched myself up to play it yet, silly isn't it. Anyway, I digress, hope you can understand what i'm on about.
Old 06-23-2005, 03:35 AM   #2
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

You don't say where you are from, but I'm sure you could get Syberia 2 from Amazon or other online stores. Syberia never gets creepy, so you're safe there. Amerzone, Benoit Sokal's first game before Syberia is still available too, though it's a 1st person perspective, and equally lovely. Of the 3rd person type, recently released Return to Mysterious Island is based on a Jules Verne book, and is of a similar type. Another that came out last year, with bugs, unfortunately, is Journey to the Center of the Earth. This had gorgeous graphics but not enough beta testing. Too bad, because it was a decent story as well.

Anyway, read through the forums, you've got lots to catch up on and have fun with Syberia!

Lynsie
Old 06-23-2005, 03:41 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairygdmther
You don't say where you are from, but I'm sure you could get Syberia 2 from Amazon or other online stores. Syberia never gets creepy, so you're safe there. Amerzone, Benoit Sokal's first game before Syberia is still available too, though it's a 1st person perspective, and equally lovely. Of the 3rd person type, recently released Return to Mysterious Island is based on a Jules Verne book, and is of a similar type. Another that came out last year, with bugs, unfortunately, is Journey to the Center of the Earth. This had gorgeous graphics but not enough beta testing. Too bad, because it was a decent story as well.

Anyway, read through the forums, you've got lots to catch up on and have fun with Syberia!

Lynsie
Thanks a lot for your advice and your warm welcome I'm from the UK, I'm pretty much going to have to find a USA based importer, which is silly considering where the game is from. There's someone selling it on ebay, but no paypal = no go for me.
Hope someone can answer my other questions too, thanks again
Old 06-23-2005, 03:49 AM   #4

I've only played Still Life, which isn't scary, but still a bit disturbing, in a morbid/dark/gloomy/sad kind of way.

Return to Mystery Island is fine, but it's quite short. I didn't encounter any bugs.
Moment of Silence is ridden with flaws, but a nice classical 3rd person.
Ni-Bi-Ru and Black Mirror are solid adventures too, but with small design flaws. Note that Black Mirror is much better in terms of atmosphere, but it's quite disturbing, much more so than Still Life, I'd say.
Old 06-23-2005, 03:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
I've only played Still Life, which isn't scary, but still a bit disturbing, in a morbid/dark/gloomy/sad kind of way.

Return to Mystery Island is fine, but it's quite short. I didn't encounter any bugs.
Moment of Silence is ridden with flaws, but a nice classical 3rd person.
Ni-Bi-Ru and Black Mirror are solid adventures too, but with small design flaws. Note that Black Mirror is much better in terms of atmosphere, but it's quite disturbing, much more so than Still Life, I'd say.
Ah, it's just with the Still Life screenshots I saw Death ringing someone's doorbell, a very weird looking woman and fishing a corpse out of a bathfull of blood that's all I saw that Black Mirror looked a lot like Gabriel Knight, IHNMBUMS (not that i've played either) and that HRR Geiger adventure game with the brain-alien. (played only the demo, never wanted to see it again)
I played Escape from Monkey Island, being a big MI fan... although it was okayish, lets say I miss the days of 2D and the original teams that did the 2D Lucasarts games.
Old 06-23-2005, 04:12 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatchef
Ah, it's just with the Still Life screenshots I saw Death ringing someone's doorbell, a very weird looking woman and fishing a corpse out of a bathfull of blood that's all I saw that Black Mirror looked a lot like Gabriel Knight, IHNMBUMS (not that i've played either) and that HRR Geiger adventure game with the brain-alien. (played only the demo, never wanted to see it again)
I played Escape from Monkey Island, being a big MI fan... although it was okayish, lets say I miss the days of 2D and the original teams that did the 2D Lucasarts games.
Still Life and The Black Mirror are both very good games, both a bit disturbing, but nothing compared to really scary movies. You see dead people ( ) in both, there's blood and murder in both, and I'd say both are creepy, but nothing to make nightmares about, really, especially in the case of Still Life. Black Mirror is a bit more twisted.
Also, Gabriel Knight is a must play for an adventure game lover if you haven't already played it, especially the second game. And this is coming from a Lucas Arts fanboy.
To sum it up, the best games I've played lately (in the last 5 years or so) are Syberia (1), The Black Mirror, Return to Mystery Island, Still Life, and Myst 4.
And Grim Fandango, of course...
Old 06-23-2005, 06:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
Still Life and The Black Mirror are both very good games, both a bit disturbing, but nothing compared to really scary movies. You see dead people ( ) in both, there's blood and murder in both, and I'd say both are creepy, but nothing to make nightmares about, really, especially in the case of Still Life. Black Mirror is a bit more twisted.
Also, Gabriel Knight is a must play for an adventure game lover if you haven't already played it, especially the second game. And this is coming from a Lucas Arts fanboy.
To sum it up, the best games I've played lately (in the last 5 years or so) are Syberia (1), The Black Mirror, Return to Mystery Island, Still Life, and Myst 4.
And Grim Fandango, of course...
Thanks for the info
Can you get killed in Still Life? It was quite annoying in Broken Sword and downright disturbing in Darkseed/BASS/OPStealth
Old 06-23-2005, 06:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Thanks for the info
Can you get killed in Still Life? It was quite annoying in Broken Sword and downright disturbing in Darkseed/BASS/OPStealth
I don't remember having been killed. So even if you can, it's not a problem.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:41 AM   #9
Dungeon Master

You can die in Black Mirror, though. It's not always foreseeable, so it's good to save once in a while.
Old 06-23-2005, 08:21 AM   #10

You can't die or get stuck in Still Life, and the game's really good too. It is disturbing, and can be a bit creepy at times, but it's not that frightening. And unless you're a female prostitute, you don't have to worry about being murdered by the serial killer when you go to sleep, haha.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:27 PM   #11
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Quote:
Hello everybody!

I was just wondering how scary either of those games are... because i'm a person that's not faint of heart, but would rather not be disturbed by something, i've a vivid imagination and a long memory. Let me clarify, Resident Evil 4, Half Life 2, no problem, Alone in the Dark or adventure games where you can get killed and it shows you a scary face or something are more of a problem. Maniac Mansion and Shadowgate haunt me still Maybe i'm thinking more along the lines of disturbing rather than gorey or making you jump? Still won't look at mirrors in the dark after Eternal Darkness and (Japanese) The Grudge

I really enjoy games like Longest Journey and Syberia (and if we're talking history, Monkey Island and Simon the Sorceror) not got too far on Syberia, it's getting creepy though, hope it doesn't go all weird like Mystery of the Druids. I've been out of the loop though, so I'm trying to catch up on good adventure games. You know what? I bought In Memoriam when it came out just in case it sold poorly and would become unavailable (how I wish i'd done that with Syberia 2, can't get it for love nor money! ) but haven't psyched myself up to play it yet, silly isn't it. Anyway, I digress, hope you can understand what i'm on about.

OK, Still Life and In Memoriam are no where near scary, although In Memoriam can be slightly disturbing if you get into that "sending emails from the killer thing"
apart from that it's a pretty cool puzzle solving game!
If you want disturbing games, then you should try Silent Hill, Project Zero and The Blackstone Chronicles

Old 06-23-2005, 01:47 PM   #12
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhunter71
In Memoriam can be slightly disturbing if you get into that "sending emails from the killer thing"
Those killer emails had me rolling on the floor with laughter, they were so totally ludicrous and unexpected. But I remember a couple of scenes and puzzles I would call disturbing. Like the sound puzzle with Karen's voice.

Quote:
If you want disturbing games, then you should try Silent Hill, Project Zero and The Blackstone Chronicles
Right! That's it! I'm dying for a really good humorous game...
Old 06-23-2005, 02:07 PM   #13
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fienepien
Those killer emails had me rolling on the floor with laughter, they were so totally ludicrous and unexpected. But I remember a couple of scenes and puzzles I would call disturbing. Like the sound puzzle with Karen's voice.

Right! That's it! I'm dying for a really good humorous game...

Ok!!! - you have no soul!!!!!

Are you even human????
Old 06-23-2005, 03:09 PM   #14
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhunter71
Ok!!! - you have no soul!!!!!

Are you even human????
Eh...

It so happens I don't believe in the concept of a "soul", but I'm gonna be very flexible: If you say you have a soul, then I'm bound to have one too.

I meant that I'm NOT dying for scary, disturbing games like the Blackstone Chronicles and Silent Hill. Gimme more funny games! Laughter! Humor! Please?

Off to replay the Neverhood...
Old 06-23-2005, 07:29 PM   #15
The Solomon of Sarcasm

Neverhood...couldn't get into that one. Something about playing a character with no personality whatsoever that just bugs me. That's why I've always been turned off by Myst-style games. No character interaction just kills a game for me. No one to tell me what I have to do? Fine, then I'm not doing it. And Willie Trombone's videos did not effectively embody "character interaction" for me to warrant completion of the game. If it got better during the second half (I only got to the point where part of the land got...unhinged, or whatever it was that happened there), maybe I'll go back and play it someday...but, like a meal at a downtown New York Chinese-food place, every time I tried it, I ended up feeling empty ten minutes later.

Advertisers don't program morals into their audiences. It would be bad for business.
--Sara Ogaz, Queen of the World

Just about every adventure game includes you needing to combine a ham and a wrench to make a "porkscrew".
--Kevin Wilson
Old 06-25-2005, 01:56 PM   #16
Hegemonizing Swarm

Beatchef, although the packaging doesn't seem to say it, the "Syberia - Special Edition" product from Amazon.co.uk actually includes Syberia 1 AND Syberia 2.

Amazon.co.uk lists it here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...776214-0853450

I haven't actually purchased it myself (I got Syberia 2 already), but confirmation that it contains both can be seen here:

http://syberia2-game.com/syberia2/co...pic.php?t=3779
Old 06-25-2005, 02:42 PM   #17
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fienepien
Eh...

It so happens I don't believe in the concept of a "soul", but I'm gonna be very flexible: If you say you have a soul, then I'm bound to have one too.

I meant that I'm NOT dying for scary, disturbing games like the Blackstone Chronicles and Silent Hill. Gimme more funny games! Laughter! Humor! Please?

Off to replay the Neverhood...

Aah! So what you actually meant was that you don't like scary games - not that they are not scary?
You prefer more light-hearted games?
Old 07-01-2005, 11:23 PM   #18

Send a message via AIM to PILMAN

Still life isn't scary at all. I mean maybe some tense moments but thats it. I never really been scared of adventure games except space quest 4 when I was a little kid. My dad bought it when it first came out and that cyborg scared the crap out of me in xenon!! Had nightmares for months.