You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Thoughts on Still Life's Laser Puzzle

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2005, 06:58 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Legolas813
Default Thoughts on Still Life's Laser Puzzle

I'm playing the Xbox version and I just got through the laser puzzle. I just have to say that I really don't understand what so many people are complaining about and having trouble with. It's an incredibly simple action sequence. I got it in three tries, and it only took me that long because I was instant messaging with someone while moving the robot. The puzzle itself is probably one of the easiest things in the entire game. Have you guys never played any other type of game before other than adventure games? Either that or maybe the controls were improved for this puzzle on Xbox.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:01 PM   #2
with extra cheese!

It's one of the better and more original puzzles in the game. I'd take laser-dodging over lockpicking any day.
and all the signs that should show me what's right and what's wrong have been knocked down, shaken and smothered by previous lovers and non-descript others like me, who don't know what it's for, all I know is that I want more.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:19 PM   #3
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legolas813
I'm playing the Xbox version and I just got through the laser puzzle. I just have to say that I really don't understand what so many people are complaining about and having trouble with. It's an incredibly simple action sequence. I got it in three tries, and it only took me that long because I was instant messaging with someone while moving the robot. The puzzle itself is probably one of the easiest things in the entire game. Have you guys never played any other type of game before other than adventure games? Either that or maybe the controls were improved for this puzzle on Xbox.
Golf applaud
Old 06-22-2005, 09:03 PM   #4
fov
Rattenmonster

I had a much easier time doing it with keyboard controls than I did with the mouse. Could be that the gamepad is even more intuitive. I don't know. I can't really comment on it unless I play the Xbox version and compare.

I didn't have a problem with the lasers themselves... more of a problem of not knowing where I was supposed to go and getting fried while trying to figure it out. Once I knew the path I was supposed to take, it was pretty easy.

I do think, though, that for the people who are asking for saves, it's probably because they're too engrossed in the story to *want* to try to get through the puzzle themselves. And why should they? Whatever makes the game more enjoyable for the individual.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:33 AM   #5
The Dude

Send a message via MSN to Isak

I started playing the laser puzzle when controlling with the mouse. After 10 times or so, I tried out the keyboard controls (just to check if they worked, and of course they did ) and I finished the puzzle first time with the keyboard controls.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:58 AM   #6
[Insert important title]

One of the stupidest puzzle in game. Really, FBI has installed "scary deadly LASERS" in archive. I hope that our cops have been using the money that they have in something little bit wiser.

Lock-pickin puzzle was frustrate but i liked it because it added that PI atmosphere in the game.

In the end i think that i hated all the puzzles in the game. I just wanted to follow the story
Old 06-23-2005, 07:02 PM   #7
DaV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isak
I started playing the laser puzzle when controlling with the mouse. After 10 times or so, I tried out the keyboard controls (just to check if they worked, and of course they did ) and I finished the puzzle first time with the keyboard controls.
That was it...I used the mouse to play and it was almost impossible, then I tried the keyboard (suddenly the arrow keys work!), and it was much easier.
Old 06-23-2005, 07:48 PM   #8

Yeah, like Fov it took me an hour to do, mainly because I didn't know where to go. Took me about 2 tries after I had guessed where I needed to move the little bugger.

I played it on Xbox as well.

I didn't mind the puzzle it all. It was a bit odd that the FBI would have crazy lasers guarding their archives with no apparent way to turn them off besides using a Bomb droid thingie, but it wasn't as big a leap as the Baking puzzle.

Seriously, that was one of the worst examples of having a puzzle in a game just for the sake of having a puzzle. It had absolutely nothing to do with anything else in the plot. At least the laser puzzle worked in the context of the plot.