You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Still Life's going to sell poorly on the Xbox

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2005, 11:24 AM   #1

Default Still Life's going to sell poorly on the Xbox

Okay, now we all know that Adventure Games aren't big sellers like they used to be, and there's lots of reasons for that. Some people argue that it's because there's not as much effort and care put into them as there was back in the golden Sierra/Lucarsarts days. Some people would argue it's because younger and younger gamers are playing video games, and they want action and flashy effects. Some people would tell you it's due to advertising (Or lack thereof).

Well, one of the main reasons adventure games aren't selling well anymore, in my opinion, is that they're just not available to the casual customer. I can remember walking into a computer store, and seeing big signs announcing the arrival of the latest Sierra "Quest" game. When "Under a Killing Moon" came out, computer stores would run the intro to it non-stop on all their demo computers.

Now when I want to go buy an adventure game, I walk into the store, and have to spend 10-15 minutes looking for it before I finally find it. And the problem never really occured to me until yesterday when I picked up Still Life for Xbox.

I walked into my local EB, and searched the "New Release" section for the Xbox, chuckling to myself because I knew it wasn't going to be in there. I then checked the entire Xbox section, and couldn't see the game. I looked around the store some more, to see if it had been misplaced, which it hadn't.

Finally, I went up to the desk, and asked the clerk whether they were going to be getting any copies of Still Life for the Xbox in. I told him that it came out on Tuesday. He checked the computer, and told me that they had a copy in. Puzzled, I asked if he could help me find it.

So the guy walks into the back, "Employee's Only" section of the store, and returns 5 minutes later with their only copy of Still Life for Xbox.

Seriously, am I the only one who finds something wrong with this? If I wasn't a diehard adventure game player, I would've never seen this game, never heard of it, never played it. The box itself looks really neat, and I think that had there been 2 or 3 copies of this game out on display, people would've picked it up, read the back, and possibly even bought it. Not to mention that it was only 29.99 CDN.

Maybe if stores took a chance and put a couple copies of GTA: San Andreas in the back (A game that people will ask about, regardless whether or not they can see it), they'd actually sell some adventure games.
Old 06-12-2005, 11:28 AM   #2
Banned User

Hahaha, that's awesome. Now I hope Microids finally goes bankrupt and stops supplying everyone with mediocre games.

But then that's just wishful thinking. They can't be stopped.

DISCLAIMER: IMO IMOHOO IMIHOM IMHOMIMHOMH IMO IOOOM MOIHO
Old 06-12-2005, 11:31 AM   #3
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntheticgerbil
Hahaha, that's awesome. Now I hope Microids finally goes bankrupt and stops supplying everyone with mediocre games.

But then that's just wishful thinking. They can't be stopped.
I hope you're being facetious, seeing as this already happened.

I have had similar experiences at EB before. I don't understand how they expect to sell games that aren't out.
Old 06-12-2005, 11:39 AM   #4
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerserkerTails
Okay, now we all know that Adventure Games aren't big sellers like they used to be, and there's lots of reasons for that. Some people argue that it's because there's not as much effort and care put into them as there was back in the golden Sierra/Lucarsarts days. Some people would argue it's because younger and younger gamers are playing video games, and they want action and flashy effects. Some people would tell you it's due to advertising (Or lack thereof)......
This is exactly what I addressed in part 3 of the editorial I wrote for AdventureDevelopers.com:

Quote:
Walk into any store that features computer software and games, and chances are the first promotions you'll see in your face are for Halo 2 and Half-Life 2. Take a drive along the streets of Los Angeles or stroll up Michigan Avenue in downtown Chicago and you'll notice that billboards and buses will feature ads for Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. Go to the cinema and while you munch on your popcorn waiting for the feature film you'll be shown commercials for World Of Warcraft or Lord Of The Rings: The Battle For Middle Earth. None of these titles are adventure games. If you're lucky you'll have spotted the bus ads for Myst IV: Revelation in San Francisco. If you're lucky.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 06-12-2005, 11:41 AM   #5
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
I have had similar experiences at EB before. I don't understand how they expect to sell games that aren't out.
It's easy. They know demand for these kinds of games are either very low or non-existent. And rather than invest in trying to generate demand, they'd rather spend their energy putting the sure-sell titles (Halo 2, Half-Life 2, The Sims, Grand Theft Auto series, etc.) on the most prominent shelves.

You can also blame adventure game publishers for not being very aggressive in how stores promote the games. Store shelves cost money. Pay it.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 06-12-2005, 11:42 AM   #6
capsized.

Isn't that the publisher's fault? And the XBox version got some lukewarm above average reviews. So why put dozens of games on the shelf that most people aren't interested in anyway?
Old 06-12-2005, 11:57 AM   #7
Banned User

What?! They went out of business? How are they going to make a Still Life sequal then? What about Obscure?!
Old 06-12-2005, 12:02 PM   #8
Dungeon Master

Store shelves cost money? Game is bad? Most people not interested in it? Perhaps. But last time I checked, stores made income by actually selling the stuff they have in stock. So importing a single copy and then hiding it in a locked room is, excuse me for saying that, retarded. There's no way around it. It's not like I want them to do the publishers' job - I'm talking about something as simple as the availability of the product.
Old 06-12-2005, 12:09 PM   #9
merely human

You should talk the management at that store, then. That's the only way they can find out, firsthand, about the effectiveness of their operations. But remember, they're not the only ones contributing to the genre's perceived eclipse.
Old 06-12-2005, 01:01 PM   #10

Don't talk to me about it ! If I remember well, Still Life was supposed to be out on April 14. I only got my copy 5 days ago! I had seen the game one time, but it was in english. Though, I'd prefer the french version; so I waited.. waited... waited. I finally found it. I thinkks it's kind of strange when the game is develop by Microids, a company based [in the past time cause they doesn't exist in the form they were some months ago] in Montreal, Quebec (Canada). That's only 500km (300miles I think) away from were I live and I couldn't get a copy before last week? There's a problem somewhere!

For the Microids case, let's get it clear. Microids still exist. On the other hand, the Montreal branch was bought by UbiSoft just before Still Life was supposed to come out (late March, early April). It's Microids Canada who made Still Life but the franchise is still a propriety of Microids (called MC2 in France). Though, MC2 are more a publisher than a developer. So who knows what may happen to Still Life 2? Is UbiSoft going to "command" this game or MC2 will make it.... Even, maybe we will never have a sequel... Who knows?!
Old 06-12-2005, 01:24 PM   #11
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaryscars
What?! They went out of business? How are they going to make a Still Life sequal then? What about Obscure?!
The Montreal branch of Microids, that made Syberia and Still Life, was bought by Ubisoft several months ago (late March, I think). The employees go to Ubisoft, and the IP stays with MC2 in France. So it's pretty unlikely we'll see another Still Life, let alone one with the same team. (But I never say never. )

Microids didn't make Obscure. MC2 (the French arm) just published it.
Old 06-12-2005, 04:45 PM   #12
Homer of Kittens

Shelf space costs money, so sometimes publishers make a version of the game not to push it to the casual gamer (because they believe that the casual gamer won't be interested in it anyway), but to the hardcore adventure gamers like Legolas and BerserkerTails who want to play adventure games but on a console. They know that Legolas and BerserkerTails will go and ask about the game if they don't see it. It is something that you see also for some multi-format games that are ported to the PC like Psychonauts. You don't see any PC commercials for Psychonauts, and barely ever see it on shelf space, and it's tagged as 29.99. But PC gamers who really want to play it will go and ask for it. And really let's be honest now, is Still Life a game for a casual console gamer? Read gamespot's review.

Firefox rules
Old 06-12-2005, 05:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaryscars
tempsie (I believe that's your nickname here on the forum.), I'm surprised that you didn't know about this. As Fov (or Emily, if that's what you want to call her) said earlier, Microids was bought by Ubi Soft, probably a few months ago in order to stop EA from purchasing them. So, the company that made the two wonderful Syberia games, Road to India, and Post Mortem is no more, but the people who worked at Microids is now working for the company who is most known for the Prince of Persia and Splinter Cell Series.

Who knows if those people at Ubi Soft will allow those talented developers from Microids to make some new adventure games for them?. All I can say is let's hope so.
Old 06-12-2005, 05:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Who knows if those people at Ubi Soft will allow those talented developers from Microids to make some new adventure games for them?. All I can say is let's hope so.
I just imagined a sequel to Beyond Good and Evil with members of Microids at the helm, along with the original team. Mmmmmm.
Old 06-12-2005, 05:35 PM   #15

Send a message via AIM to Legolas813

It's true that the game is really hard to find (PC or Xbox version). Only select stores (and select locations of those stores) are stocking the game. Those who stock the game are ordering 3-4 copies at a maximum and won't be ordering anymore when/if they sell out. The copies that are stocked are kept pretty well hidden (behind other games on the bottom shelf, or in the backroom of the store).

I finally found a copy of the game the other day (for Xbox), and the guy at the register was like WTH is that? I'm like it's a murder mystery by Microids, the people who made Syberia (he gave me a confused look and went silent). Then he just changed the subject and started pressuring me to preorder Half-Life 2 and other FPS for Xbox.
Old 06-12-2005, 06:03 PM   #16

Just wanted to share my experience as well ...

I just bought Still Life for XBOX this past Friday. I first went to a Gamestop and couldn't find it on my own, so I asked the guy for help. He actually heard of it, but said that they don't even have a single copy. Bummer.

So on to EB Games I go. After I entered the store and made my way past all of the GTA San Whatever posters, billboards, flags, etc, I begin my search only to come up empty. I make my way to the counter to ask the guy for help. He looks it up on the computer and sighs. He opens the locked cabinet filled - and I mean FILLED - with the GTA game, digs back a couple of rows, and pulls one out.

The good news is that I got what I went there for. But the bad news is that unless a gamer is actually looking for Still Life like I was, he/she may never even know it exists. I wish the same could be said about the GTA garbage, because that's the LAST thing the children of this world need to play.
Old 06-12-2005, 06:10 PM   #17
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Viking
....the bad news is that unless a gamer is actually looking for Still Life like I was, he/she may never even know it exists.
Which shoves the adventure genre even more deeply into the niche market it already is. I mean, how do we know ALL browsers and casual gamers wouldn't be interested in it if it's never even PUT ON the store shelves for them to notice to begin with? Again, why are the publishers not doing jack excrement about this? It perpetuates the eclipse of adventur games.

Quote:
I wish the same could be said about the GTA garbage, because that's the LAST thing the children of this world need to play.
The GTA games are GOOD games. But they're NOT for kids (theoretically, that is).
Old 06-12-2005, 06:20 PM   #18

In Ireland it's selling incredibly well.

Most of the major game stores had two or three shelves of just Still Life, that were sold out within a week of release.
Old 06-12-2005, 06:20 PM   #19

I hear you on the adventure game response. We just don't get the exposure and marketing that we need, and it's a shame.

As far as your GTA game response, I guess I was being too opinionated. Sorry, but I do have a big problem with that series of games. I know that all of them are well done and fun for those who enjoy it, but unfortunately it's our children who get caught up in it, and I don't like the message it sends.

I know I probably sound a bit hypocritical because I just admitted that I bought Still Life, but I bought it primarily for the "murder mystery" aspect of it, and not necessarily the theme which does concern me. Plus it was only 19.99. I haven't had a chance to play it yet, but I hope it's not TOO over the top.
Old 06-12-2005, 07:46 PM   #20

Send a message via AIM to Legolas813

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Viking
I haven't had a chance to play it yet, but I hope it's not TOO over the top.
Actually the game is much more mature than I ever expected. Be warned this is not a game for kids. There are very mature themes.