You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Still Life's going to sell poorly on the Xbox

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2005, 08:15 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legolas813
Actually the game is much more mature than I ever expected. Be warned this is not a game for kids. There are very mature themes.
That's true. Just for the information, I bought my copy of Still Life in french at Wal-Mart. It was the only where i saw it!
Old 06-12-2005, 09:57 PM   #22
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack
Who knows if those people at Ubi Soft will allow those talented developers from Microids to make some new adventure games for them?. All I can say is let's hope so.
I've read somewhere - JA+ boards, hefty discussion as you can imagine - that Microids France won't necessarily exclude some action bits in some of their next games anymore. No reason to be scared even more. It's all about the overall gaming experience.
Old 06-14-2005, 06:58 PM   #23
desmondd

The xbox version of Still Life is pretty prominently displayed in my local EB. However, the PC version is hard to find.

Old 06-14-2005, 07:28 PM   #24
fov
Rattenmonster

Legolas, I'm glad you finally got your Xbox version! I hope you're enjoying it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legolas813
It's true that the game is really hard to find (PC or Xbox version). Only select stores (and select locations of those stores) are stocking the game. Those who stock the game are ordering 3-4 copies at a maximum and won't be ordering anymore when/if they sell out. The copies that are stocked are kept pretty well hidden (behind other games on the bottom shelf, or in the backroom of the store).
This isn't entirely true. I saw 8 or 10 copies of Still Life (PC version) at Best Buy a few weeks ago, right out in front. They actually had a pretty good selection of adventure games at that store.

I mean, I'm sure it depends on the store. I didn't see it at EB last week. But it's not as hard to find on the shelves as some games. I don't remember seeing Legacy: Dark Shadows on ANY store shelf, ever. And Bad Mojo Redux I saw once, way up high on a shelf I couldn't reach at CompUSA, and that was it.

As for "they won't be ordering more if / when they sell out" - according to whom? The guy behind the counter at EB? I'm not sure that's reliable information.

Oh, and to address the original premise of this post - the guy I spoke to at E3 about Still Life's Xbox release told me what the initial run of games would be... I forget what it was, but it was lower than a game like GTA: San Andreas would be, to be sure. The publishers aren't dumb. So if they only made a small number, based on how many they thought would sell, and manage to move all or most of those... wouldn't that actually be considered good sales? I mean, we can postulate all we want, but at the end of the day it's really the publisher and developer who know if the game sold "well" or not... and that's a relative term.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:55 PM   #25

Send a message via AIM to hengst2404 Send a message via Yahoo to hengst2404

For me, and I am guessing more and more gamers these days, I make the majority of my games purchases for the PC and console via the internet. either ebgames or from the Adventure Company store or some other online retailer. The last game I actually bought in stores I think was Rome: Total war and that was a Compusa impulse buy. I did try and get obscure for the PC and ended up having to go online as none of the reatilers in my area had a copy. At least the web based stores always have copies available.
Old 06-15-2005, 12:11 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Viking
Just wanted to share my experience as well ...

I just bought Still Life for XBOX this past Friday. I first went to a Gamestop and couldn't find it on my own, so I asked the guy for help. He actually heard of it, but said that they don't even have a single copy. Bummer.

So on to EB Games I go. After I entered the store and made my way past all of the GTA San Whatever posters, billboards, flags, etc, I begin my search only to come up empty. I make my way to the counter to ask the guy for help. He looks it up on the computer and sighs. He opens the locked cabinet filled - and I mean FILLED - with the GTA game, digs back a couple of rows, and pulls one out.
My experience started out the same way, but ended up differently.

I went to Gamestop, but they didn't have it. They said to check back.

So I went to the competition, EB, and didn't see it. But while I was searching the XBox area one of the employees asked if he could help me find something. I told him I was looking for Still Life and he knew exactly what I was talking about. He pulled it off the shelf perpendicular to the one I was looking at and handed it to me. It wasn't hidden. They'd just rearranged the shop and had some of their XBox games moved over to the wall where the Gamecube games used to be and I hadn't noticed. (Their Gamecube section had shrunk while their PS2 section expanded and the XBox section in the middle got shoved over).

So this EB employee told me he was a fan of adventure games like The Longest Journey and he'd been thinking of getting Still Life himself. And he started explaining to me what adventure games are, as if he figured I wouldn't know. He said even though they are short and not replayable, that he found he enjoyed them more than most games in other genres. And I just stood there sort of dumbfounded.

That kind of thing don't happen every day.
Old 06-15-2005, 06:11 AM   #27
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabapple
So this EB employee told me he was a fan of adventure games like The Longest Journey and he'd been thinking of getting Still Life himself. And he started explaining to me what adventure games are, as if he figured I wouldn't know. He said even though they are short and not replayable, that he found he enjoyed them more than most games in other genres. And I just stood there sort of dumbfounded.
That's really funny.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:05 AM   #28
Leo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son Goku
In Ireland it's selling incredibly well.

Most of the major game stores had two or three shelves of just Still Life, that were sold out within a week of release.
Which shops were these? I didn't know adventures sold that well in Ireland.