You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Most Innovative Graphic Adventures?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2005, 05:29 PM   #1

Default Most Innovative Graphic Adventures?

Hey, this is Mathew Tschirgi. I am working on a book with a friend of mine on the history of graphic adventure games from an academic perspective and was wondering what the Adventure Gamers forum members thought on some examples of the most influential or innovative graphic adventure games?

Please give reasons supporting your choice(s). We've already come up with a list of 15 or so games, but wanted to see if you fans could come up with any great "diamonds in the rough."

Thanks!
Old 06-04-2005, 05:30 PM   #2

I think the easy answer here is Maniac Mansion. The SCUMM engine pretty much completely changed the way adventure games were played.
Old 06-04-2005, 05:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deshrill
Hey, this is Mathew Tschirgi. I am working on a book with a friend of mine on the history of graphic adventure games from an academic perspective and was wondering what the Adventure Gamers forum members thought on some examples of the most influential or innovative graphic adventure games?

Please give reasons supporting your choice(s). We've already come up with a list of 15 or so games, but wanted to see if you fans could come up with any great "diamonds in the rough."

Thanks!
Omikron (The Nomad Soul) is the only adventure-action game I know (as opposed to action-adventure, if yu know what I mean), and as such is quite innovative.
Then there are the obvious choices : Maniac Mansion, Day of the Tentacle, Gabriel Knight, the 7th Guest, Myst, Syberia.
Old 06-04-2005, 05:35 PM   #4
gin soaked boy

Check out this thread for starters.
Old 06-04-2005, 05:50 PM   #5

I thought that the Last Express was quite innovative. As far as I know it's the only true real-time adventure game. It's probably not very influential, however, as it sold poorly and nobody knows about it.
Old 06-04-2005, 05:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustCropper
I thought that the Last Express was quite innovative. As far as I know it's the only true real-time adventure game. It's probably not very influential, however, as it sold poorly and nobody knows about it.
Yes, that too.
Also, the Neverhood, albeit as unpopular as The Last Express, was very innovative.
As far as influential goes, Broken Sword might be a solid challenger.
Old 06-04-2005, 07:18 PM   #7

I'd have to say Maniac Mansion here as well. However outdated it may seem now, it made what is probably still the most important step in interactive storytelling, and shifted the challenge of adventures games soley to the game's puzzles rather than a mixture between solving the puzzles and outwitting the game developer. It's also a good story game regardless of the revolutionary aspect. You could also argue that the new point 'n click engine made an impact outside the genre.
Old 06-04-2005, 07:30 PM   #8
Iconoclast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustCropper
There were real-time text adventures in the 80's.
Old 06-04-2005, 07:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastich
There were real-time text adventures in the 80's.
But then they were hardly innovative graphic adventures, now weren't they?
Old 06-04-2005, 07:57 PM   #10
Iconoclast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
But then they were hardly innovative graphic adventures, now weren't they?
I know the thread is about graphical adventures, however Dustcropper didn't specify, he simply said:

"As far as I know it's the only true real-time adventure game".

People don't give text adventures enough credit, so I'm pointing it out regardless.
Old 06-04-2005, 08:10 PM   #11

Quote:
I know the thread is about graphical adventures, however Dustcropper didn't specify, he simply said:

People don't give text adventures enough credit, so I'm pointing it out regardless.
I'm willing to give text adventure lots of credits, but alas, I can't bring myself to play them...
The furthest I can go in this direction is by playing the older Legend games (Gateway, Eric the unready, etc...)
Old 06-04-2005, 08:18 PM   #12
Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!

And even if you disregard text-adventures, Maupiti Island actually predates The Last Express in the real-time deparment by many years. I'd say it was quite innovative in the way you could handle characters, even superior to text-adventures in terms of interaction. Such a vastly underrated game...
Old 06-04-2005, 08:24 PM   #13
Iconoclast

Although the game wasn't fully real-time, there was also Lure of the Temptress. The characters all had real-time agendas to follow.
Old 06-04-2005, 08:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Although the game wasn't fully real-time, there was also Lure of the Temptress. The characters all had real-time agendas to follow.
I wouldn't call it real time, though, because in this case there weren't any notion of time. Just of endless movement.
Old 06-04-2005, 08:33 PM   #15
SamNMax

King's Quest: Quest for the Crown:
The game that introduced graphics. I don't know where gaming would be without this game.

King's Quest IV: The Perils of Rossella:
A game that took PC gaming to the next level with it's innovative and dazzeling graphics and music. one of the first games to use mouse control.

King's Quest V: Absence Make the Heart go Yonder!:
One of the first games to support VGA graphics. I believe this was also the first game that supported voice work in gaming, too. It was sub par, but it paved the way for new technology

King's Quest VI: Heir Today, Gone Tomorrow:
Launched CD gaming into the mainstream. Unbelievable and revolutionary graphics, music, and voice work done by proffessional actors. Arguably the most groundbreaking game ever created.

Maniac Mansion:
The first game to use the now famous SCUMM interface. The game mastered the point and click scheme and eliminated the text parser for the sake of convience.

Maniac Mansion 2: Day of the Tentacle:
I believe this was the first game to use cartoon animation.

Loom:
featured the most original gameplay I've ever had the pleasure to play and some of the most original music.

The Secret of Monkey Island:
Not only is this, in my opinion, the greatest adventure of all-time, but it's also one of the most inovative. This was the first game to simplify the SCUMM system to perfection and enabled you, the player, to choose the dialog when talking to a character.

Lure of the Temptress:
The game that first used the underrated "Virtual Theater" system. This enabled the game world to be very life-like. NPCs would actually have minds of their own and go about their business instead of standing there. A shame that this system is not used.

The 7th Guest:
The first game to be exclusivly on CD. For 1992, the use of 3D graphics and groundbreaking FMV, this game was mind-blowing.

Old 06-04-2005, 08:37 PM   #16
Iconoclast

Mystery House (1980) predates King's Quest for graphics in an adventure game, and I'm not even sure that is the first.
Old 06-04-2005, 08:45 PM   #17
SamNMax

Yes. It's first. But I don't really consider Mystery House a "graphic" adventure.

Old 06-04-2005, 09:12 PM   #18

Oops! Well I did say "as far as I know." Come to think of it, wasn't Titanic real-time as well?

I still think that the Last Express is worth mentioning though.

I should probably shut up before I make another mistake.
Old 06-04-2005, 11:29 PM   #19
Schättenjager

Imo most innovative adventure of all times was Grim Fandango,using a built-in interface and inventory was absolutely marveolus
Attached Images

Last edited by Gabe; 06-04-2005 at 11:34 PM.
Old 06-05-2005, 01:10 AM   #20

Quote:

What are some of your favourite text adventures? I have played a few and don't mind them, some are definitely overrated.