You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Style vs. Innovation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2005, 12:05 AM   #1
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther
Default Style vs. Innovation

I brought up a point in another thread that I'd like to expand upon. When new people come to the forum, they frequently ask, "What's another game like_______ ?"(fill in the blank) They've played a few games and want one that appeals to them, whether it's a noir style or sci-fi, horror or detective, fantasy or cartoon. Not once have I seen anyone new come in and say "I want something that discards the traditions of adv games and breaks new ground." Nope - not once! Why? Because they come here looking to find more of a style that appeals to them, and that they want to play more of. This isn't saying that they won't enjoy better graphics or a better told story, or better character development. What it's saying is that people simply look for the style that appeals to them, whether or not it is innovative.

For many in this forum this means the MI series, Sam & Max, DOTT, and Grim Fandango. For others it means the GK series or the Tex Murphy or Laura Bow. When someone comes in asking for something a bit different - a Myst clone type of game, for instance - they're either put down, or told that all of those are stale, trite, derivative, boring rehashes. This is only true if you dislike that style. If you do like them, then each is a new experience. MJII, which wasn't the greatest, tried a new engine, and gave us an easy-to-use real-time 3D experience in a Myst-clone game. I assume that Sentinel is similar since it uses the same engine. Even though they did it much better than Ubisoft with URU, they get no props in this forum, because it's not the style that most here like.

On the basis of what I've seen here, I will predict that Steve Ince's Juniper Crescent will be a huge hit here - why? Because it's the style that many of the forum members view as the best. And this is even if there is not one innovative bit about it! No one will criticize it for lack of innovation, simply because they will be into enjoying the game - just like those of us who like other styles of adv games do with what is out on the market now.

Just because a game is not the style you prefer, saying it is "old, used, and how could anyone enjoy this when they've already seen this kind of thing", is itself getting old here. There are many different tastes in games and each game is different, and an experience in itself. Please stop putting down games you've never played, and never will play (because you don't like the style), saying they are subpar games. They certainly aren't subpar if you like that style and are enjoying them. Innovation is coming and will continue to come, like it or not. Good games and bad games will continue to be made. But recognize that not all good games are going to look like DOTT or MI or GF. Nor does everyone else want that.

FGM-Lyn
Old 06-03-2005, 12:36 AM   #2
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairygdmther
On the basis of what I've seen here, I will predict that Steve Ince's Juniper Crescent will be a huge hit here - why? Because it's the style that many of the forum members view as the best. And this is even if there is not one innovative bit about it! No one will criticize it for lack of innovation, simply because they will be into enjoying the game - just like those of us who like other styles of adv games do with what is out on the market now.
I don't think that's quite true. I love 3rd person humorous adventures, but if it won't feel fresh in some way, if it won't be that good (not that I have any doubts, but we'll see in the end), I will criticize it, as many others will. What you're basically saying is that we're all fanboys (and fangirls ) of some types of adventures. I disagree, some of us are just fanboys of good games.

For instance, I dislike 1st person adventures, but I'm really enjoying Zork Grand Inquisitor (currently playing it for the first time). I'm content with the games of established styles if they're truly good, but I want innovation and new approaches to gaming despite of that.

Anyway, I thought this thread was going to be about something else...
Old 06-03-2005, 12:37 AM   #3
Epinionated.

Who says Juniper Crescent won't be innovative? Steve's been winking and skirting around gameplay issues, but one thing's for sure from the previews, it's certainly going to be a little different. Only in a good way.

I think the main problem is people are going to come in asking about a new game similar to Still Life only to find that many of the similar games in this genre are years old and incredibly outdated. Only someone with any kind of passion for the genre will even now look to something like Post Mortem to try to eke out the good bits, and the same goes for stuff like Black Mirror where its horrendous voiceovers (if you're English) are going to put them off.

Something like Still Life (depending on who you ask) has a high level of quality in its presentation only really found in games like Syberia. Even TMOS is a game where you've got gameplay and presentation issues in the way. If you're not used to how the genre is, or have come away from other games where the presentational quality, for whatever reason, is so much higher (and the narratives are getting stronger with each new release), then it's incredibly off-putting.

Not many people are willing to put up with 640X480 resolutions, ad-lib boinkly-boinkly sound or grainy FMV. Some older, maybe inexperienced, gamers will if there's a strong core grounding in narrative or gameplay values, like Bad Mojo, Space Quest, Monkey Island or Last Express just to name a few. But anyone who's tasted what else games have to offer outside of adventures will just see outdated graphics, poor sound, often difficult gameplay and even if the game is good, might find it just a little too hard to keep going. There needs to be more new, at least high quality, games like Runaway 2 and Still Life to appease the general gamers, some might say shallow but I say justified given that games run with technology, requirements as to standards in gaming.

I think the main problem in these boards is letting personal preference and enjoyment get in the way of larger, more open, discussion. "They're not subpar if me and x gamers enjoyed them" isn't an arguement, its a statement of personal subjectivity. Certainly no-one else in any other genre would expect the same kind of level of presentation of ten years ago, and if there IS going to be a reliance on it, lets at least see the "style" being evolved into something glossier.

Foundations are meant to be built upon, not left alone to build identical foundations again on the sandy beach plot next to it.

edit - most of these issues in recent games eke out of publisher impatience and inability to comprehend values in presentation. Just thought I'd point that out.

Last edited by squarejawhero; 06-03-2005 at 01:00 AM.
Old 06-03-2005, 12:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Please stop putting down games you've never played, and never will play (because you don't like the style), saying they are subpar games. They certainly aren't subpar if you like that style and are enjoying them.
What if we put down games we have played and consider them to be more of the same, but of lesser quality?

I don't like most Myst clones, but I do like the Myst series. Why? Quality. Riven is a fantastic, polished game, but I'm not going to say the same about Aura even though it's almost essentially the same game. Likewise, I picked up Still Life recently and haven't been able to force myself to finish it. To me it feels like a faithful immitation of the adventures of yesteryear, but with less polish and detail. It's like a Taiwanese bootleg of the genre... everything's there, but just a bit "off."
Old 06-03-2005, 01:03 AM   #5
Epinionated.

...and in comes the "personal enjoyment" argument... nnnnow...

Sure, playing games is all about that, but there's also the fact that games aren't produced for personal enjoyment, they're produced for MASS enjoyment. Otherwise there wouldn't be any other titles. Whether or not pandering to the masses (especially all of the time *cof* EA *cof*) is a quality indicator (certainly not originality) is a moot point, developers and publishers need money. There's no need to "sell out" for it, but there is a need to aim for a high level of quality equivalent to modern games within the genre and to jostle for the average joes attention too.
Old 06-03-2005, 02:01 AM   #6
Magic Wand Waver

Insane cobra - "What you're basically saying is that we're all fanboys (and fangirls ) of some types of adventures. I disagree, some of us are just fanboys of good games."

Some maybe just like good games, but most of what I see is the fanboyism here.

sethsez - "What if we put down games we have played and consider them to be more of the same, but of lesser quality?"

I have no problem with knowledgable criticism, but many of the more vocal ones here don't even play adv games anymore, but that doesn't stop them from criticizing everything that comes out in the genre, and that makes me angry.

SJH - I never said Juniper Crescent wouldn't be innovative, only that even if it wasn't, it still wouldn't be criticized for that. Otherwise I feel you've entirely missed my point, or are ignoring it to further your own. (I don't mean this as an insult - you seem to be saying the same thing over and over in different threads.)

My point is that when someone looks for a new game to play - in most cases innovation isn't the first thing that comes to mind - style of the game is. Secondly - in this forum, anyone who doesn't like the DOTT, MI, GF kinds of games is in the minority, and their opinions are essentially trashed - "why would you want more of the same old rehashed crap", for instance. What is not seen, somehow, is that a different game, by possibly different developers, even if it is the same style, is simply NOT the same as the previous games, and may be enjoyed as an entity of its own. Alida, for instance is a Myst-clone that is markedly different from Myst, even though it is an empty world with mechanical puzzles. It was really quite interesting. Rhem, on the other hand, which fits the same description, sucked in my book, though I usually do like these games, although not exclusively. I can trash Rhem and praise Alida because I played them, not because I'm ranting about all games in the genre.
Thirdly - my point was that we need to stop trashing what others like simply because we don't like the style of the game. I posted in another thread that Obsidian was my all time favorite game, and the response was negative - how could it be anything other than Sam & Max or DOTT or MI? To me Obsidian was light years ahead of them. Although I've played some of each of them, I don't trash them, I just don't like them, and prefer others. There is room for others' opinions on different styles of games. There is no need for putting down either the games or the people who like them, especially by those who haven't played them. (and here I'm not pointing this at you, SJH)

FGM-Lyn
Old 06-03-2005, 02:44 AM   #7
gin soaked boy

Quote:
There is room for others' opinions on different styles of games. There is no need for putting down either the games or the people who like them, especially by those who haven't played them. (and here I'm not pointing this at you, SJH)
I'm all against trashing people just because their tastes are different. BUT there's nothing wrong with saying "I think this game is crap" if that's how you feel. Some people just take things too personally, if I put down a game/film/song/whatever, it doesn't mean I'm also putting down the person who likes it, I'm just saying I think it sucks. Also, if I don't agree with your oppinion, doesn't mean I don't like you as a person. Hell, I don't agree about many things with some of my closest friends, the people I love the most. That's what forums are for, expressing different oppinions. But they have to be based on something.
Old 06-03-2005, 02:57 AM   #8
Magic Wand Waver

I agree completely.

FGM-Lyn
Old 06-03-2005, 03:05 AM   #9

I'd also like to point out that if Juniper Crescent gets praise, it'll be because it's high quality, not because it just happens to be in a style we like. Remember, those DOTT fans you're talking about also generally hated Escape From Monkey Island and Gilbert Goodmate for being sub-standard rehashes as well.
Old 06-03-2005, 03:28 AM   #10
Curiouser and curiouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarejawhero
Something like Still Life (depending on who you ask) has a high level of quality in its presentation only really found in games like Syberia. Even TMOS is a game where you've got gameplay and presentation issues in the way. If you're not used to how the genre is, or have come away from other games where the presentational quality, for whatever reason, is so much higher (and the narratives are getting stronger with each new release), then it's incredibly off-putting.

Not many people are willing to put up with 640X480 resolutions, ad-lib boinkly-boinkly sound or grainy FMV. Some older, maybe inexperienced, gamers will if there's a strong core grounding in narrative or gameplay values, like Bad Mojo, Space Quest, Monkey Island or Last Express just to name a few. But anyone who's tasted what else games have to offer outside of adventures will just see outdated graphics, poor sound, often difficult gameplay and even if the game is good, might find it just a little too hard to keep going. There needs to be more new, at least high quality, games like Runaway 2 and Still Life to appease the general gamers, some might say shallow but I say justified given that games run with technology, requirements as to standards in gaming.

I think the main problem in these boards is letting personal preference and enjoyment get in the way of larger, more open, discussion. "They're not subpar if me and x gamers enjoyed them" isn't an arguement, its a statement of personal subjectivity. Certainly no-one else in any other genre would expect the same kind of level of presentation of ten years ago, and if there IS going to be a reliance on it, lets at least see the "style" being evolved into something glossier.

Foundations are meant to be built upon, not left alone to build identical foundations again on the sandy beach plot next to it.

edit - most of these issues in recent games eke out of publisher impatience and inability to comprehend values in presentation. Just thought I'd point that out.
Oh, yawn! Aesthetics (and this narrow definition thereof) are simply not the only determinant of people's enjoyment of games, as you yourself admit in your discussion of games like Bad Mojo, etc.

And before you leap all over me for mentioning "enjoyment" as a subjective category, may I point out that you frequently (in other contexts) cite sales figures and popularity as relevant to determinations of quality? In other words, there doesn't appear (in things like your discussions of the best films) to be a set of objective criteria for high quality. (Market share is objective, but it's not an objective set of predetermined criteria; it's an outcome of aggregate individual preferences. ). Either there is no such similar set of criteria in the area of games (and all we should care about is how well a game sells); or else (as I think this post indicates), you do at times have such criteria, but they're your own, personal set of preferences, distinct from others'. Excuse me if I have your argument wrong; I haven't been following your extensive posts as much as I should of late. (I also apologize for the tone of this rant; it sounds like it's directed at you, but it's more frustration at a strain of recent argumentation.)

First of all, when FGM was talking about "style," she wasn't (necessarily) talking about visual style at all. Clearly, she's also distinguishing among things like gameplay elements (1/p v. 3/p, puzzle types, and so on.) Obviously, this is all within the general adventure game genre . . . but still, as we know, there are sub-types of games (not unlike going to see an action film and choosing among a disaster flick, a crime movie, a thriller, a cops-and-robbers type film, a spy story, and so on. Those are more content-based, but anyway.)

Second, I don't see why "style," even if we are talking visual style, needs to become "glossier." People still make cartoons. Madagascar came out last week. Yes, they are now making cartoons in 3-D, using digital technology. But people also still love cartoons like the Simpsons. I didn't hear the many Looney Tunes (or South Park, or Family Guy, or . . . ) fans complaining about their favorite cartoons on THAT thread that "oh, it's that same old, 2-D, flat, cartoon-like style! When will it evolve!?!?!"

Third, one reason it doesn't "evolve" in the AG context is the same reason it doesn't "evolve" on TV: money. Few people on the forums (besides the staff and our friendly devs, all of whom know a great deal about these things) bother to think about financial constraints on companies. You all must have heard devs discussing finances about a million times, but it doesn't seem to sink in at all. Do you even notice when someone like Martin mentions yet again that Dreamfall has a budget subsidized by a national film fund. Think about that. Matter of fact, why don't you dash off an email to Tony Blair right now and see if he'll toss a few bob in Steve Ince's direction; I'm sure the PM'll propose it in Parliament at the next possible opportunity. (I'd do it, but as a non-voter, I'm afraid I have less clout.)

Finally, the idea that people who like other genres are soooooo much more sophisticated (graphically or any other way) than AGers is getting quite dull as well. Having loved the KOTORs, I loaded up Morrowind last week, which is as most RPG-ers would tell you one of the classics of the genre. The graphics are stunning, lovely. I got bored five minutes in, at the character-selection screen. Did I want to be a lizard, an elf, or a . . . something? I had no freakin' clue, and wasn't about to start a million-hour game without a sense of how things worked in this world. But RPGers love that. Same thing with Baldur's Gate 2, which STILL makes all the "must have" lists on Amazon among RPGers (and here, I might add). Its graphics are so goofy they make something like Last Express look absolutely elegant to me (actually I thought Last Express WAS elegant, so that's a bad example.) But the game is (supposedly) good, so . . .

(I couldn't play it. Bored me to death. Managed to attack my own party members in the tutorial. Had no clue how to walk down stairs. NPCs yelling at me left right and center for taking too long. How is that fun? Talk about boring. Geez.)

The point is that every genre is going to have its adherents, and the number of games with cross-genre appeal, or games that are so good that everyone loves them, is actually going to be quite small. Moreover, the idea that graphics alone have anything to do with this just seems to me . . . odd. Yes, they are an important element, but they can be handled in a variety of ways, as can good storytelling, intriguing gameplay, and a number of other factors.

Could we just let the games be the games, and let the people who actually come to AdventureGamers because they like (*gasp*) adventures enjoy themselves on the forums discussing them without always having to defend themselves? That would be really dandy.

And when they show up here asking for a game like X, we could actually recommend one, instead of all piling on to say how much we hated X and how X really is a perfect example of all that is wrong with AGs and so on and so forth and . . .
Old 06-03-2005, 03:40 AM   #11
Easily amused

FGM, I agree with you about the 'style' of games. I'll always pick that over innovation. My preferences have me looking forward to any 1st person type game. Not all will be great, but I know I'll have some fun with them.
Hype about 3D, graphics, engines, etc. doesn't get me interested in a game as much as the words 1st person, exploration and puzzlefest. I never tire of jigsaws; and how innovative can you get with them?

The nice thing about having a definitive style preference, is that you can enjoy games of all vintages. I'm always on the lookout for older games that fit the bill. I couldn't care less if they don't have panning or if they are pixellated.

When innovation comes along in the style of game that I like, I definitely wait for reviews and comments from the forums. The best example of this was Uru. I loved all the basic Myst-like experience (solitary exploration), but hated the innovation ( action heavy movement and challenges). Unlike many gamers, I can't really appreciate a decreased quality of graphics in 2D vs 3D, so that wasn't a factor in my enjoyment of the game. I've already said that I don't really care how a game looks or how you move in it. What I do hate is action/timed/stealth or keyboard controls. Unfortunately, these things seem to accompany the foray into 3D innovation, which is why it has a negative connotation for me.

As a side point, the reverse is true - no amount of innovation could entice me to get a game in the style that I don't like - in general 3rd person, dialogue heavy with multilpe characters and only inventory based puzzles.
As such, I'll likely be passing on Dreamfall and Indigo Prophecy.

Last edited by colpet; 06-03-2005 at 03:51 AM.
Old 06-03-2005, 04:56 AM   #12
Epinionated.

@FGM - sorry if I took you out of context, but it just read a specific way. Thanks for correcting me. As for repetition, if we get pedantic we can accuse everyone for doing so! It's really not relevant.

I can see your point, but there's none in rehashing older games over and over without bringing anything new to the table EVER. People DO come looking for a style, but there isn't much that can easily be given unless the gamer is willing to forgive the fact that this genres other options often end up being over ten years old, with all the technological, interface and aesthetic problems that comes with.

What do you recommend to the person who liked Still Life? Truth is there isn't anything like it. In terms of narrative, Post Mortem, but it's an entirely different game. In terms of gameplay, Syberia, but that's probably not the kind of game they'll enjoy. It's up to them, naturally, and everyone's tastes are different. But my point is there's not even enough games to the standard of a Still Life because of the inherent size of the genre, and even the best that this game offers has a mixed opinion surrounding it on these very boards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyConfused
Oh, yawn! Aesthetics (and this narrow definition thereof) are simply not the only determinant of people's enjoyment of games, as you yourself admit in your discussion of games like Bad Mojo, etc.
Unfortunately, reality proves that aesthetics, down to design of whatever it is we're talking about - cars, games, Macs - is very important. A game can have a very simple design ethos yet be extraordinarily effective, such as the recent Darwinia. If you've ever worked in marketing, you'd know that when out BUYING anything, people are looking first with their eyes.

Quote:
And before you leap all over me for mentioning "enjoyment" as a subjective category, may I point out that you frequently (in other contexts) cite sales figures and popularity as relevant to determinations of quality?
I never have. Where? Sales figures don't mean quality at all and I'd never admit it. HOWEVER, people are often harsh at the mainstream for selling out, but looking at, for example, NFSU2, GTA:SA and Splinter Cell's latest you can hardly argue that they HAVE quality. True, there's repetition (they're all sequels) but I'd never compare San Andreas to GTA3 in terms of scope and play experience and SC:SC is an incredibly high-quality game all-round.

Ubi and EA do actually strive for some kind of bar in the games we produce. Could you say the same for The Adventure Company? And before we talk about EA's nefarious business practices lets remember Johnathon Boakes own recent admission that's he's not published for TAC ever again.

Quote:
In other words, there doesn't appear (in things like your discussions of the best films) to be a set of objective criteria for high quality. (Market share is objective, but it's not an objective set of predetermined criteria; it's an outcome of aggregate individual preferences. ). Either there is no such similar set of criteria in the area of games (and all we should care about is how well a game sells); or else (as I think this post indicates), you do at times have such criteria, but they're your own, personal set of preferences, distinct from others'. Excuse me if I have your argument wrong; I haven't been following your extensive posts as much as I should of late. (I also apologize for the tone of this rant; it sounds like it's directed at you, but it's more frustration at a strain of recent argumentation.)
Completely wrong, but thanks for being nice! I think you're more set on the type of character you THINK I am and the arguments I possibly represent rather than the fact I'm humanly fallible and admit to being wrong when shown. I do have a high bar of quality I expect for the money I pay over, but I'm also apprecative of people like Colpet who, to be honest to my mind, deserve a better choice of top-class gaming.

Hopefully Myst V will provide that!

Quote:
First of all, when FGM was talking about "style," she wasn't (necessarily) talking about visual style at all. Clearly, she's also distinguishing among things like gameplay elements (1/p v. 3/p, puzzle types, and so on.) Obviously, this is all within the general adventure game genre . . . but still, as we know, there are sub-types of games (not unlike going to see an action film and choosing among a disaster flick, a crime movie, a thriller, a cops-and-robbers type film, a spy story, and so on. Those are more content-based, but anyway.)
I know that and I think I dealt with it, but as usual I'm prone to digressing. That said there's not much recent worthwhile output that actually compares to someone coming in saying they enjoyed Still Life. I wouldn't call Sherlock anything like it, TMOS might be close. Even amongst those who some find have a high level of quality are rare. People don't play games JUST for content. Its worth remembering that, otherwise these games would just be visual books.
Old 06-03-2005, 04:56 AM   #13
Epinionated.

Quote:
Second, I don't see why "style," even if we are talking visual style, needs to become "glossier." People still make cartoons. Madagascar came out last week. Yes, they are now making cartoons in 3-D, using digital technology. But people also still love cartoons like the Simpsons. I didn't hear the many Looney Tunes (or South Park, or Family Guy, or . . . ) fans complaining about their favorite cartoons on THAT thread that "oh, it's that same old, 2-D, flat, cartoon-like style! When will it evolve!?!?!"
I'm currently working on boarding a beautiful 2D/3D 1/2 hour shows with another series to go. I know what animation in both 2D and 3D is like to get right and the differences in each media.

And to be honest, 2D is expensive and very, very hard to get right on a professional level unless you have a high degree of control over quality from script to finished output.

The only games so far to come even CLOSE to animation quality (as I see it) are Psychonauts, Sam and Max and Grim Fandango. DOTT had timing issues. Insofar as voiceovers Steve Inces' work on Broken Sword was great, but nowadays the level of animation would need to be higher to compete with the rise in quality. Despite that, for something I believe was outsourced and the cost of animation at the time it was made, plus the comparative budget compared to Lucasarts, it was pretty good.

Anyway, the problem is evolution. And you've dealt with your own argument here, although to be frank if you think all of us in TV animation have "money" for the shows we develop, you've got another thing coming -

Quote:
Third, one reason it doesn't "evolve" in the AG context is the same reason it doesn't "evolve" on TV: money. Few people on the forums (besides the staff and our friendly devs, all of whom know a great deal about these things) bother to think about financial constraints on companies. You all must have heard devs discussing finances about a million times, but it doesn't seem to sink in at all.
Point is, I've said time and time again it's not the developers fault but in the main, publisher attitudes to both budget AND applicable time for completion.

Quote:
Do you even notice when someone like Martin mentions yet again that Dreamfall has a budget subsidized by a national film fund. Think about that. Matter of fact, why don't you dash off an email to Tony Blair right now and see if he'll toss a few bob in Steve Ince's direction; I'm sure the PM'll propose it in Parliament at the next possible opportunity. (I'd do it, but as a non-voter, I'm afraid I have less clout.)
I don't see why Steve shouldn't actually. There's more money floating around in York and oop north for creative development than there's ever been. It's not the case for all countries, for sure, but many governments might be willing to back up a good creative proposal. The key is to try in the first place. Hell, I did last year and won money for a short film! Problem was, something better came along, I needed the cash, and it never got made. But another one I boared on, financed by the government, did.

I think I probably know more than you give me credit for.

Quote:
Finally, the idea that people who like other genres are soooooo much more sophisticated (graphically or any other way) than AGers is getting quite dull as well. Having loved the KOTORs, I loaded up Morrowind last week, which is as most RPG-ers would tell you one of the classics of the genre. The graphics are stunning, lovely. I got bored five minutes in, at the character-selection screen. Did I want to be a lizard, an elf, or a . . . something? I had no freakin' clue, and wasn't about to start a million-hour game without a sense of how things worked in this world. But RPGers love that. Same thing with Baldur's Gate 2, which STILL makes all the "must have" lists on Amazon among RPGers (and here, I might add). Its graphics are so goofy they make something like Last Express look absolutely elegant to me (actually I thought Last Express WAS elegant, so that's a bad example.) But the game is (supposedly) good, so . . .
You hardly gave it a chance! That said, I never finished it... but it was worth playing nonetheless. And I agree on The Last Express. Beautiful.

Quote:
(I couldn't play it. Bored me to death. Managed to attack my own party members in the tutorial. Had no clue how to walk down stairs. NPCs yelling at me left right and center for taking too long. How is that fun? Talk about boring. Geez.)
Ditto.

Quote:
The point is that every genre is going to have its adherents, and the number of games with cross-genre appeal, or games that are so good that everyone loves them, is actually going to be quite small. Moreover, the idea that graphics alone have anything to do with this just seems to me . . . odd. Yes, they are an important element, but they can be handled in a variety of ways, as can good storytelling, intriguing gameplay, and a number of other factors.
Well, if the genre is to gain more players, it's got to look better overall. And it is, thankfully, though it took a while. I find it crazy that people think that ANY game that relies on a visual narrative should look rubbish, but that's my job.

Quote:
Could we just let the games be the games, and let the people who actually come to AdventureGamers because they like (*gasp*) adventures enjoy themselves on the forums discussing them without always having to defend themselves? That would be really dandy.
That'd be me too. Don't discredit those who don't always agree with you. I don't want to let the genre "be" because I don't like it as it stands. Thankfully there's a load of developers that agree, so I'm looking forward to Ankh, 80 Days, Juniper Crescent and Dreamfall, spankyouverymuch.

Quote:
And when they show up here asking for a game like X, we could actually recommend one, instead of all piling on to say how much we hated X and how X really is a perfect example of all that is wrong with AGs and so on and so forth and . . .
THAT I can agree on.

Last edited by squarejawhero; 06-03-2005 at 06:34 AM.
Old 06-03-2005, 06:32 AM   #14
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyConfused
I'd just like to point out that comparing cartoons with games does not make as much sense as it may seem. Migrating to 3D in games has less to do with things looking different and more with opening up to new gameplay possibilities, things that are impossible or nearly impossible to pull out in 2D. Not that 2D should die out entirely (and I think what happened to 2D feature length animated films is a damn shame), but there are definitely new exciting areas to explore, why shouldn't we do it? I just hope this thread won't be another to fall into the depths of 2D vs. 3D hell.
Old 06-03-2005, 08:05 AM   #15

Hi all,
I distinguish between a description of a game and a game review. I also distinguish between what I might call an "amateur" game review and a more "professional" game review, whether or not the reviewer is getting paid. Finally, I distinguish between what I might all a "genre" review and a more studious game review. I like all of these kinds of discussions about games. I like people gushing over games, I like the "I want more games like that" discussions, I like silly talk about games. I also like more critical game reviews. I want it all.

I want to know what a game is about, and if someone likes it, why they like it. I also want to know how the game stacks up, with regards to games in general. I want a discussion of how the game looks and sounds, the story, the editing, the style, the gameplay. I want comparisons to the best games around, apart from genre. This is in addition to general adventure game chit-chat, which I also enjoy.

I also agree with SJH in that I think it will be difficult to get new people into playing the genre unless you start to make games that don't look and play like games of "yesteryear". At least we should warn people. This happens on the Myst 5 and Myst 4 forums I moderate over at Ubisoft. (volunteer, unpaid forum moderator - I just happen to do it on a game company forum). People sometimes stop by and say that they are thinking about playing the Myst series games - what order should they play them in? Some people recommend starting with Myst and working your way up to the newer games. I always recommend that people start with the newer games. I usually recommend starting with Myst IV. Personally I prefer 3D but I like the story and gameplay of Myst IV, and I think the visuals are fine. I do this because the older games, no matter how great they were, look and play like older games (and I love the original Myst, well, Myst Masterpiece Edition, actually). If you are used to the latest technology and advances in how games look and play, playing those older games is going to be a shock. Incidentally, I'm just one voice over there and someone always recommends playing the games in their original release order.

Now, in all fairness, people can understand that an eight year old game is going to look and "feel" and play differently from a newer game - for one thing it's going to be a heck of a lot more static. But, it's a tougher sell on how a brand new game looks and "feels" like a game, from, oh, let's say 5 years ago, in another genre.

My opinion.
Old 06-03-2005, 08:21 AM   #16

Send a message via AIM to hengst2404 Send a message via Yahoo to hengst2404

FGM, as always I find myself at east partly in agreement with you. When I decided a few years back to start actively seeking out AG, I did so for one reason, I like the style. I enjoy AG games like the Borken Sword seires, which even in the older games i still find enjoyable, particularly the well done voice working for Stobbard.

I will continue to enjoy games like Syberia and Still Life as long as they feature the style and for me the storylines that I enjoy being a part of. Shoot I still nejoy my text based games and have tried a few from the Adrift engine folks. I am likely in the minority, but as long as they continue to make AG games that appeal to my sense of style and taste, I will keep buying them. I am not nearly as interested in innovation in AG games as I am AG games that have the right types of stories in the genres I enjoy.
Old 06-03-2005, 08:34 AM   #17
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
When new people come to the forum, they frequently ask, "What's another game like_______ ?"(fill in the blank) They've played a few games and want one that appeals to them, whether it's a noir style or sci-fi, horror or detective, fantasy or cartoon... When someone comes in asking for something a bit different - a Myst clone type of game, for instance - they're either put down, or told that all of those are stale, trite, derivative, boring rehashes.
They are?

Can you point to old threads to back this up? I read pretty near every post that's made on this forum, and this isn't my impression at all. In fact, time and again I have seen AG members bend over backwards to try to recommend games that the poster will enjoy, based on what s/he has enjoyed in the past.
Old 06-03-2005, 09:16 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
They are?

Can you point to old threads to back this up? I read pretty near every post that's made on this forum, and this isn't my impression at all. In fact, time and again I have seen AG members bend over backwards to try to recommend games that the poster will enjoy, based on what s/he has enjoyed in the past.
Actually, I think that you and FGM are both right. It seems like every time this kind of thread is posted we have to usual recommendation posts, and the good old "recent AGs suck" posts. Note that sometimes the "recent AGs suck" are posing as recommendation posts (as in "You should try Monkey Island 2, because recent AGs suck").
Old 06-03-2005, 09:33 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarejawhero
That'd be me too. Don't discredit those who don't always agree with you.
Discussion is fine, but systematic criticism gets old quick. An exemple of this would be when some who haven't played Still Life hear about a puzzle (the access card thing) and without asking for more details jump on the occasion to bash the game. It's not that Still Life is beyond criticism, just that criticising it for the wrong reasons, just to feed some theories about adventure gaming, is not achieving anything.
I really don't see how the huge amount of negativity one can find in this forum regarding recent AGs can do any good.

Note that I'm not really targeting you, SJH, there are a bunch of people here who are much more negative toward recent AGs than you are.
Old 06-03-2005, 10:06 AM   #20
Magic Wand Waver

fov, Ninth basically answered correctly for me. If you want examples - look in the 65 page thread for Colpet's first post and follow along for a while - you'll see how she was put down for her choices. And as Ninth said, look for any of the recommended games posts. What bothers me the most in those is that the most vocal are also the one who haven't even played the games. If you've played them and have valid criticism, even if I don't agree, I respect your position, but when you choose not to play, to me you forfeit your credibility by commenting on them.

And as Ninth said, and I did earlier - the blanket trashing of adv games is getting old real quick here. No one is saying they don't need work and some innovation would be good, but dismissing them out of hand, simply because of the style they are is counter-productive and uninformed.

FGM-Lyn