You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure List of Rare Adventure Games

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2009, 10:33 PM   #281
Flatulent Philanthropist

Hi XXJ. I sent you a private message, if that's okay.
Old 03-28-2010, 04:22 AM   #282
Senior *female* member

I remember that a boxed Alice: An Interactive Museum once fetched 2000 dollars on ebay. Today I came across another rare Synergy game, the action hybrid Yellow Brick Road. Just guess how much the seller wants for it...

Spoiler:
$25,000.00

ebay #160415512020

Some people are kind of... I don't know how to put it without insulting those fine sellers...
Old 03-28-2010, 05:20 AM   #283
Senior Passer-by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
Some people are kind of... I don't know how to put it without insulting those fine sellers...
I'll do it for you, Fien . When someone gets so greedy like that guy who asks
Spoiler:
25 grand
for a single game (and not so rare or good to boot), in my country they say "zinulo mu dupe za pare", meaning:
Spoiler:
"His a$$hole is gaping for the money"
Old 03-28-2010, 07:08 AM   #284
Senior *female* member

Have you played it, Zobraks? Did you like it? I sold my mint copy (for just a little under $25,000), couldn't get it to work. Alice (one of my alltime favorites), L-zone and Gadget play flawlessly on my XP machine.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:32 AM   #285
Senior Passer-by

No, I haven't played Yellow Brick Road, but I had used it to cause a mayhem in the Guess The Adventure competition on a local forum : it took experts a lot of time (on a New Year's Eve) to find out what it was .
Old 03-28-2010, 10:18 AM   #286
Stalker of Britain

Quote:
I sold my mint copy (for just a little under $25,000).
You got $25,000 for a game? Wow, I wish I could get that kind of money...
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 03-28-2010, 11:03 AM   #287
kamikaze hummingbirds

I must be honest, you'd have to have some problems to spend $25,000 on a game.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:28 PM   #288

Or swimming in dow!
Old 03-28-2010, 06:21 PM   #289
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 View Post
You got $25,000 for a game?
I hope you didn't think I was serious. No, I sold it for 125 dollars, shipping included, which is about the same price I had paid for it. I used to do that a lot: buy a rare game and sell it again after I'd played it. It was a good strategy for me. I got to play rare games for 10 or 20 bucks and sometimes I even made a profit. And of course, you cam decide to keep the game if you really, really like it.

PS: But that idiotic auction is real enough. Check it out.

Last edited by Fien; 03-28-2010 at 07:20 PM.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:10 PM   #290
Stalker of Britain

Wow, I'm relieved that you weren't serious. I really thought you were. I did that once. I got Rhem for about $10, hated it, then sold it on Amazon for about $30, because every other copy was $60...no joke.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 03-29-2010, 03:16 AM   #291
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

So let me get this straight, guys. If someone offered you $25,000 for a game you own, you wouldn't sell it, just because you think it's too much compared to what it is really worth?
Old 03-29-2010, 03:39 AM   #292

That's the thing about collectors' items: everyone but the collectors usually think it's worthless. People pay insane amounts of money for insane stuff. If I really wanted something and didn't have to worry about the resources, I'll probably buy lots as well.

Just finished:Jurassic Park, Mata Hari
Playing now:Assassin's Creed 2, So Blonde
To be continued:Final Fantasy 13
Old 03-29-2010, 07:34 AM   #293
Cabbage Merchant

Send a message via MSN to HaroldO

Quote:
I hope you didn't think I was serious. No, I sold it for 125 dollars, shipping included, which is about the same price I had paid for it. I used to do that a lot: buy a rare game and sell it again after I'd played it. It was a good strategy for me. I got to play rare games for 10 or 20 bucks and sometimes I even made a profit. And of course, you cam decide to keep the game if you really, really like it.
Clever. When I bought my DS Lite I did something similar. I was always buying, playing and then reselling old GBA games at an auction site. I only kept a three of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascovel View Post
So let me get this straight, guys. If someone offered you $25,000 for a game you own, you wouldn't sell it, just because you think it's too much compared to what it is really worth?
Hell yeah. Take as many games you'll want from my shelf, I'm off to buy a new car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Writer View Post
That's the thing about collectors' items: everyone but the collectors usually think it's worthless. People pay insane amounts of money for insane stuff. If I really wanted something and didn't have to worry about the resources, I'll probably buy lots as well.
True, specially when It's an industrialized item. People have a lot less trouble rationalizing how a painting that is not even a hundred year old can be worth dozens of millions.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:14 AM   #294

I have some rare games for sale but I have no idea what they are worth. Please help me!

The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes The case of the Rose Tattoo (like new with box, manual, clue book)

Frederik Pohl's Gateway CD version with box (the manual is on pdf)

Mission Critical, I have 2 versions; one with box/manual, the other cds/manual no box. I'm not sure which one i should keep ?!
Old 04-16-2010, 09:08 AM   #295

so no source to find the value of old games??
Old 04-16-2010, 12:53 PM   #296
Senior *female* member

The best advice I can give you is to keep track of those games on various ebay sites. They are not really rare, but they used to be in demand, especially the rose tattoo. Not anymore, ebay has changed a lot as far as adventures are concerned.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:12 PM   #297

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_doubtsy View Post
I have some rare games for sale but I have no idea what they are worth. Please help me!

The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes The case of the Rose Tattoo (like new with box, manual, clue book)

Frederik Pohl's Gateway CD version with box (the manual is on pdf)

Mission Critical, I have 2 versions; one with box/manual, the other cds/manual no box. I'm not sure which one i should keep ?!
Mission Critical I know is not terribly in demand. I got a full boxed/complete copy for roughly $10. I don't think Legend's text adventures are in huge demand either, though Companions of Xanth hover around the $20-$30 mark.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:31 AM   #298

A user called abeautifulmind1970 has quite a few of the listed games up for sale on eBay. Needless to say, looks to be some sort of collector and has priced them accordingly (aka rip off).
Old 01-18-2011, 01:06 PM   #299
Protégée of Dr. O. Myklos

And to think I threw some of these games away back in the day!!

(Actually, I donated them to Goodwill/Good Samaritan Center, along with a bunch of other stuff, but they probably ended up being thrown away.. or maybe they're currently being sold online for large sums of money. )

Mind you, though, they weren't the rarest of the rare - the original [English versions of] Sanitarium, KQs V and VI (the latter with floppies, not CDs), Laura Bow I and II (those might not even be rare, actually), Grim Fandango, Nightlong, others I'm forgetting...

Anyone know about the rarity of China: Forbidden City? I never owned or played it, but I saw it lying around at a friend's house years and years ago...
Old 01-19-2011, 03:37 AM   #300
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obscurista View Post
Anyone know about the rarity of China: Forbidden City?
One of several educational adventures by Cryo. They weren't much in demand in my "collecting" days.