You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure List of Rare Adventure Games

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2007, 02:35 PM   #221

Send a message via MSN to Thesaya

I've played that Gilbert game in my chemistry class... Kinda a treat when we had some time over. It's ok, edutainment. You play a dragon going around doing chemistrythings. Can't remember if i played it in english or swedish, swedish i think....
Old 11-27-2007, 10:02 AM   #222

I was watching that Alice: An Interactive Museum auction and couldn't believe it. I know it's the holidays, but really, $2,034.00 for a game! Wonder what my sealed box would be worth <shudders>. Nor that I'd ever give it up of course.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:58 AM   #223

Wow!
And I played with the thought of buying it...
Didn't knew it was that rare!!
Old 12-02-2007, 12:15 PM   #224

I get the feeling many of these games are rare for a reason. That said however I haven't seen anyone mention Big Red Adventure and Bioforge. Those, I recall, were pretty good back in the day...
Old 12-02-2007, 01:37 PM   #225
Grumpy & bitter man

Send a message via ICQ to VoodooFX Send a message via MSN to VoodooFX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyng View Post
... I haven't seen anyone mention Big Red Adventure and Bioforge. Those, I recall, were pretty good back in the day...
While Big Red Adventure could pretty much be in rare category, Bioforge certainly can't. I've bought it about a year a go, off the eBay, for like 3 pounds or something like that.

Plus there is the whole, inevitable, "Is Bioforge really an adventure", question.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:41 PM   #226

I would Bioforge along with the questionable adventures like Alone in the Dark, Twinsen's Adventures and Tomb Raider.
Old 01-12-2008, 09:03 AM   #227

I have to emphasize how great this thread is!!!
I compiled a list with all the games named here, searched for them on the internet and cut it down to the ones which sounded interesting for me.

I have two things to add. They may be of special interest for Wallymian. This thread is already a bit older, so I'm not sure if they are still relevant, but anyway.

First, J.B. Harold wasn't a 6-CDs monster on the Mac & PC platform.
Those versions came only on 2 CDs.
The FMV quality is probably really crappy...

Second, you can buy Piri: The Explorer Ship here!

It comes with a manual and a map.
I haven't seen it for myself, it's at my parent's home.

The shop is based in the USA, by the way.

For collectors of german adventure games: Egosoft, the makers of the X series, made 3 adventure games at the beginning of their career, two for the PC.
At that time they were still known as Ego Software.

They're often referred to as Egosoft even for their older games, though.

The first one, Amiga-only, was Fatal Heritage.
Not much can be found about it, but here are some links to further infos: 1, 2, 3

Here's also a short company history, in german.

The next game was Flies - Attack on Earth. It's pretty rare, I think.
There was one offer for it on eBay for 11€.
It seemed a bit too high for me so I waited for another auction or offer. Probably I waited a month and bought it then before someone else did.
MobyGames has some info on it. And The Legacy. And here's a review from an old amiga mag.

The last in the trilogy of Egosoft's adventure games is Imperium Romanum.
I played it some years ago. It's okay I guess.
I don't remember it being that great, though.
Never found a boxed copy. Only the magazine CD from which I have the game shows up often on eBay.
MobyGames knows it.

Then, I have some questions.

So many games were name-dropped here without any description. I couldn't find anything to some of them or nothing specific.

There's Stagefright. The only thing I could find about that name is that it is a Phantasmagoria collection. Is this the one that got talked about here?

Then, Plague.
This name is so ordinary that I couldn't find anything about it. Could somebody give me more info about this game?
Maybe the full title is "Plague: In The Maze Of The Mind"?

I know that "The Case" is from New Media Generation (NMG), but that still didn't bring me very far. I also need some more info on it.

"Riddle of the Maze". Not such a special title either. Could anyone tell me more about it? Like, which company made it, for example.

And last but not least: "Who's Fat Lou?".
You can find some automatically created, empty sites about this game, but nothing with content. Again, info is appreciated.

So, that's all for now. Interesting subject. All those rare games have something....mysterious about them.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:10 PM   #228
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie View Post
Second, you can buy Piri: The Explorer Ship here!
Hey, that's interesting info. Thanks!

Quote:
"Riddle of the Maze". Not such a special title either. Could anyone tell me more about it? Like, which company made it, for example.
Well, it's not a real adventure game. It's a maze alright. An incredibly difficult one too. The orginal is a book, Maze by Christopher Manson. Each page depicts a room in the maze. Most rooms have many doors, leading to other numbered rooms. So if room 5 has 4 doors, numbered 43, 22, 30 and 20, you can go through any of those doors by turning to the respective pages. There are many objects in the pics, which serve as clues. I have the book, but I have never managed to find the shortest way out of the maze. As an extra, there's a Riddle in room 45, which may account for the title of the PC game.

Four Fat Chicks has a lot of info about the game and a few links: http://fourfatchicks.com/Reviews/Rid...aze/Maze.shtml

Henry Holt, the publisher, has made an online, clickable version of the book available (see the FFC review). And the link still works, after all these years! The pics are small, and I prefer the book, but it's a great service. The extremely rare CD game apparently has color pics.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:58 PM   #229

Send a message via MSN to usman Send a message via Yahoo to usman

Good info thanks
Old 02-03-2008, 09:49 AM   #230
The Ultimate Insult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
AFAIK, The Last Express is rare in UK unless you go to E-bay. Last I checked it wasn't availabale at Amazon. But I don't know about US so you're probably right.
I own that, and I bought it in an oxfam shop. xD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamNMax View Post
Gilbert Goodmate and the Mushroom Phungoria
Tex Murphy: Under a Killing Moon
Theres a reason GG is rare.... XD But that also lurks in my drawer.
And I also bought Under a killing moon in a charity store, possibly when I bought The Last Express, possibly someone got rid of them, I dont think I can play them, they're that old, but maybe I'll try one day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMachine View Post
For LucasArts fans, the FM Towns ports of:

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Monkey Island 1
Monkey Island 2
Indy- this is possibly one of the most rare games of our time, and it's a real shame because it is quite possibly the best.
MI1- I could've got this a long time back in a series set but didnt as I owned the 3rd and 4th games, and saw no need to buy all four in order to play only two.
How very foolish I was.
MI2- I eventually found this in a charity shop also, boxed and with the security wheel code, made to prevent pirating of the game ^^
And it works too. Amazing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by McPickle View Post
Igor: Objective Uikokahonia
Flight of the amazon queen
Little big adventure (1 & 2)
I have a shareware demo version of IGOR, but it never worked properly, very dissappointing.. actually scratch that, I got it to work on my very old computer but it was silly because the demo blocked off the ability to go to a part of the map that you needed to get to, to continue to the end of the demo. Very amusing.
Flight of the amazon queen is now freeware distributed on ScummVM.com, so its definately not rare anymore I also have a hard copy of it, in a freeware "Browser" on a copy of Beneath a steel sky which was distributed it appears by Retrogamer's mag.
Ah LBA, one of the weirdest games yet. The opening of LBA2 will always stay with me, the dragon and the weather and stuff, I'd like to play it again now that Im mature enought to know WTF to do, I was always scared as a child of games like that where by some of it was combat.

Oh- Nomad Soul is fairly rare, its kinda an adventure game, and its one of my favourite games and my box copy doesnt work anymore. VERY SAD.
I bought it for about £2 in Gamestation when I was about 12. xD

Currently playing; CSI Deadly Intent, Tales Of Monkey Island Ep 1
Recently finished;Secret Files Puritas Cordis, Prof Layton and Pandora's Box
Eagerly anticipating;Kaptain Brawe: A Brawe new world, Nearly Departed

Last edited by Atlantis; 02-03-2008 at 09:52 AM. Reason: added info
Old 02-03-2008, 10:41 AM   #231
Chicken with a bite

Igor: Objective Uikokahonia is now freeware, in case anyone is interested in the game itself and not just rare boxes.

http://www.adventure-eu.com/forum/in...p?topic=1886.0

Last edited by PolloDiablo; 02-03-2008 at 01:24 PM.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:40 AM   #232

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolloDiablo View Post
Igor: Objective Uikokahonia is now freeware, in case anyone is interested in the game itself and not just rate boxes.

http://www.adventure-eu.com/forum/in...p?topic=1886.0
But there is no link as to where it can be found.
Old 02-03-2008, 01:33 PM   #233

It can be found on every average abandonware site, like Underdogs or Abandonia.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:02 AM   #234
The Ultimate Insult

I seem to have a lot of trouble trying to download from Underdogs, none of their codes seem to work. :/

Old 02-04-2008, 01:26 AM   #235
Caffein Queen

I always use Abandonia, they have fast downloads and easier to navigate.

Now Playing: World Of Warcraft (US)
Recently Finished: Too many Casual games
Waiting for: Lost Horizon + Gray Matter
Old 02-04-2008, 04:31 AM   #236
The Quiet One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantis View Post
I seem to have a lot of trouble trying to download from Underdogs, none of their codes seem to work. :/
I've experienced that same problem to. Do you get sent to a webpage saying 'you've been tricked' or something? I did, or nothing would load and it turned out to be my firewall that was causing the problem. Try closing it and try again.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 02-04-2008, 08:22 AM   #237
The Ultimate Insult

Its been a while since I tried, but I think it just repeatedly told me that the code I entered was wrong, even if I refreshed the code, and nothing would download therefore.

Old 02-04-2008, 10:05 AM   #238
Freeware Co-ordinator

Whilst the specific game Igor: Objective Uikokahonia does appear to have been made available by the developers (and I haven't been able to trace a download from the developers site from the link given) I must ask that no-one post links to either the Underdogs or Abandonia page for this game. As per the FAQ we have a policy not to link to abandonware sites.

I appreciate no-one has created a link yet (thanks for that). Just wanted to put up a quick reminder in case anyone was planning to.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 02-04-2008, 11:24 PM   #239

Send a message via MSN to usman Send a message via Yahoo to usman

Thayer's Quest is also very rare. I have just found a copy.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:20 PM   #240

Is 'Amazon: Guardians of Eden' rare? There's a copy of it on Australian eBay in original box starting bid at AU$5.00.