You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure List of Rare Adventure Games

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2007, 04:25 AM   #201
Flatulent Philanthropist

Tough question. Impossible for me to narrow down to one, but I'd say it's between;

Black Sect
Mortville Manor (English and DOS)
Igor: Objective Uikokahonia
Paris C.I.T.Y. 200 (actually released - 50 copies I've been told - to a few stores in Canada as a black-boxed promotional version)
Cosmology Of Kyoto (in the beautiful 'Lotus Flower' white box for PC)
Refixion (Japanese game in English for PC)
Heaven's Dawn (English version)
New Robinson (children's adventure)
Treasure Hunter (English version)
The Case (Russian game in English)
Erevos
Opsys
Riddle of the Maze

My list (based on the fact that I've either never seen the game for sale, or only once), is open to comment and criticism as usual.

Blobjob would have been on it if not for Egon's fascinating update, and Piri would be if I hadn't discovered it recently. I've probably forgotten a few and, undoubtedly, I'm unaware of a few more. For instance, English version of Refixion II (????).
Old 08-12-2007, 09:16 PM   #202
Super Moderator

I don't know how absolutely rare these are, but this person managed to pick up all (I think) of the FM Towns versions of the LucasArts games.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:27 PM   #203

Default hm

* Black Sect (English version)
<Link removed>

* Heaven's Dawn (English version)
<Link removed>

* Igor: Objective Uikokahonia (English CD-ROM version)
<Link removed>

4mb abandonware version
<Link removed>

I hate abandonware that is still copyrighted

Last edited by Melanie68; 08-12-2007 at 10:55 PM. Reason: I hate abandonware / abandonware links removed by Melanie
Old 08-12-2007, 10:53 PM   #204
Super Moderator

strider, as referred to in the Frequently Asked Questions, we don't allow links to abandonware here. Thanks.

Quote:
What's not OK to post?
You are solely responsible for everything you submit to the Adventure Gamers forums. We retain the right to delete any messages or threads deemed inappropriate (e.g. flames, spam). We have a zero tolerance policy on pirated software. Any messages soliciting or promoting warez will be immediately deleted and posting priveledges will be revoked. We also kindly request that you do not post links to so-called 'abandonware'. Although we sympathize with the preservation of games that have gone out of print, we choose not to tread any murky legal ground. Spam, viral marketing or seeding are not welcomed on our forums. These kinds of messages will be deleted, and their posters will be immediately banned without notice.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:28 AM   #205

Out of these, I have New Robinson and Opsys. I believe that both only came in Jewel case. I had owned Treasure Hunter and Erevos but sold them. I didn't realize that Black Sect and Refixion came in English versions.

If Paris C.I.T.Y. 2000 actually had 50 pre-release copies sent to Canada, then I guess this game has to win the award for most rare adventure game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques l'aliéné View Post
Tough question. Impossible for me to narrow down to one, but I'd say it's between;

Black Sect
Mortville Manor (English and DOS)
Igor: Objective Uikokahonia
Paris C.I.T.Y. 200 (actually released - 50 copies I've been told - to a few stores in Canada as a black-boxed promotional version)
Cosmology Of Kyoto (in the beautiful 'Lotus Flower' white box for PC)
Refixion (Japanese game in English for PC)
Heaven's Dawn (English version)
New Robinson (children's adventure)
Treasure Hunter (English version)
The Case (Russian game in English)
Erevos
Opsys
Riddle of the Maze

My list (based on the fact that I've either never seen the game for sale, or only once), is open to comment and criticism as usual.

Blobjob would have been on it if not for Egon's fascinating update, and Piri would be if I hadn't discovered it recently. I've probably forgotten a few and, undoubtedly, I'm unaware of a few more. For instance, English version of Refixion II (????).
Old 08-14-2007, 03:14 AM   #206

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerz View Post
I'm not sure about the availability of "Fort Boyard: The Legend". I've been searching for it in English for awhile to no avail.
Same problem here, I spent plenty of time with the result that nobody can confirm whether English version was ever produced, or not.
For sure French, and Dutch versions are floating around.

Quote:
Tough question. Impossible for me to narrow down to one, but I'd say it's between
I do agree with you Jacques, my search for rarities is almost identical to games you have enlisted.

When talking about Paris C.I.T.Y.2000, I have quite different informations. The numbers are correct, but the game was sent over Canadian and US stores in white box with list of the box contents (information originates from its legitimate owner, however there's no prove even pics)

I would certainly vote for Piri: Explorer Ship speaking you're very lucky owner.

There's other game I'm keeping my eyes open with no luck, it's called J. B. Harold: Blue Chicago Blues. That's quite often available for non-PC machines but English PC version seem like a scarce and exceptionally rare find. Have seen only pictures from Japanese version, it's 6 CD-ROMs monster!

How about Crash Garret , English version? Still on my list of mythical games but these pics made me believe it really exists:
http://img300.imageshack.us/my.php?i...arrett1dd3.jpg
http://img113.imageshack.us/my.php?i...arrett2tw6.jpg

Another one might be Fascination CD-ROM version. Rarely seen on eBay, or anywhere else.

Quote:
Out of these, I have New Robinson and Opsys. I believe that both only came in Jewel case. I had owned Treasure Hunter and Erevos but sold them. I didn't realize that Black Sect and Refixion came in English versions.
New Robinson I have only non-English version. When asked Nikita's Moscow central for a copy I only recieved an information it's out-of-print, out-of-sell for many years. Been on my list for years, and still it's lurking there until I will find it some day.
The game was available for purchase only over their web page for a price of 15 USD approx.

Refixion, a Synergy product I believe was only made in Japanese *MACINTOSH* version only platform.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:24 AM   #207

Default Bioforge

I have one more, this action adventure is very rare.... it's called Bioforge from the makers of Orgin....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bioforge for more details.. BTW on wikipedia they say it's a RPG, but in my opinion its a adventure!!!

grtz!
Old 08-14-2007, 07:38 AM   #208
Grumpy & bitter man

Send a message via ICQ to VoodooFX Send a message via MSN to VoodooFX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootjeuhz View Post
I have one more, this action adventure is very rare.... it's called Bioforge from the makers of Orgin....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bioforge for more details.. BTW on wikipedia they say it's a RPG, but in my opinion its a adventure!!!

grtz!
Bioforge is nowhere near the term 'Rare'. It's very common item on eBay, got mine not long ago for 4.5 Brittish pounds.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:46 AM   #209

Has anyone heard of a game called "Gilbert" made by or produced by Snille? I first discovered it on this website:

http://www.adventure-archiv.com/g/coverg.htm

Scroll down until you see the title. Other than this site I haven't heard anything else about Gilbert and have never seen it for sale or trade.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:41 AM   #210

I guess Deus from Silmarils is pretty rare. Not something you will find on Ebay or Amazon usually.
Chronomaster from Dreamforge Intertainment. Also not the most common item.
Oh, and Wolfsbane. It's an adventure you don't even find much information about.
I'm not sure if it is worth hunting down. I bought it very cheap and will let surprise me.

Edit: About the Gilbert game: I found two interesting links. This one reveals the original swedish title and here is a forum discussion.
While the screenshots look interesting, the premise doesn't sound very exciting.
So I don't think it is worth it.

Last edited by ozzie; 08-21-2007 at 07:02 AM.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:15 AM   #211
Flatulent Philanthropist

Quote:
Has anyone heard of a game called "Gilbert" made by or produced by Snille? I first discovered it on this website:

http://www.adventure-archiv.com/g/coverg.htm

Scroll down until you see the title. Other than this site I haven't heard anything else about Gilbert and have never seen it for sale or trade.
Lakerz, I talked about Gilbert with Hagstrumpa on FFC last year, or the year before. I think the conclusion was that it does exist in English, but that it's most definitely a very young person's adventure. And yet, an Adventure nonetheless. Get back to you soon.

JLA
Old 08-21-2007, 02:10 PM   #212

Snatcher (if you call it an adventure, which I do).
Alien: A comic book adventure (I think this has action in it, but it's a Cryos game so...).
Old 08-22-2007, 10:18 PM   #213

Hi Jacques

You da man!

I haven't emailed Hagstrumpa in a long time. I should as she is a very nice person and done me a number of favors over the years. Hope she is doing great!

Quote:
Lakerz, I talked about Gilbert with Hagstrumpa on FFC last year, or the year before. I think the conclusion was that it does exist in English, but that it's most definitely a very young person's adventure. And yet, an Adventure nonetheless. Get back to you soon.

JLA
Old 10-05-2007, 05:14 PM   #214
Music bod

Default C.I.T.Y. 2000 - London/Paris - it's true, I was there.

Hi all I just found this place after doing a random Google search for a project I was involved in in 1993...

My name is Colin Bennun and I was responsible for the writing the music, sound, video editing and dialog recording/editing/dubbing for C.I.T.Y. 2000 (London). It's good to know that somewhere out there, people still remember it; I thought it had sunk without a trace!

Although I was involved in various aspects of the game (including recording and editing dialog for a German language version!), my main contribution was the intro and in-game music, which was written in my bedroom in the flat which I and my roommates shared with Aditus - the game was written by 5 geeks in the front room of my house. Although most people would have heard it in low-quality 2/4-operator FM from their soundcard's onboard synths, the original music was made in glorious technicolor on a Roland desktop GM module (also available as a playback option) and it was these versions that I recorded to DAT when they were written. I have them (or most of them, I think) on CD now, and would be glad to rip and upload them as MP3 files (or even WAVs if desired) and provide links to anyone who wanted them, should there be any demand. I know this is a poor substitute for a shrink-wrapped copy of the whole game, but there's no way I'm selling mine and anyway the shrinkwrap has long since deceased!

Re: Paris C.I.T.Y. 2000 - I knew at the time that the photos had been taken for this but I don't recall the game itself having been made; my recollection (quite possibly inaccurate if you have other information) was that the Canadian backer pulled the plug after the London game bombed. Perhaps Jon found another investor and made the game after our time at the flat ended. I did however write the theme music for the Paris game (I wonder if it was ever used?), and I'd be glad to upload that with the others if anyone wants it.

I hope this post has been useful to some of you; if you want the music please send me an email - I will likely be checking back here very seldom

Best,

Colin
Old 10-06-2007, 12:35 AM   #215
Freeware Co-ordinator

Welcome Colin and thanks for the info and offers of music.

Hope you find yourself popping by more than seldom.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 10-06-2007, 04:00 AM   #216

Welcome aboard Colin,

Thank you for the comments and partial Paris C.I.T.Y. 2000 de-mythicism.
I have found each information very helpful as well the generous offering for music tracks. Much appreciated.
Old 10-06-2007, 07:38 AM   #217

Other rare adventure games are the so-called art-ventures from the german publisher Software 2000.
Their names are "Holiday Maker", "Die Stadt der Löwen" and "Jonathan".
They were only released on the Amiga and it's not very likely that they are good.
Still, I'm interested in them because I would like to see how german adventure games evolved over time, and if there were some unique ones.
I could find the first two games on abandonware sites, but nowhere the last one.
So, if anyone has it, I would be interested in buying it.
I can't pay much, though...
Old 10-06-2007, 08:15 AM   #218

Hi ozzie,

I do agree with you, Software 2000 made several if not great, then quite interesting adventure games. Personally I prefer Jonathan above the others you have mentioned.
What a pity they are only available in German language and hence limited and inaccessible to vast sheer of gamers. FYI Jonathan even exists in PC version.
Feel free to send me PM...

When you're interested in Software 2000 games, then Talisman is my definite suggestion. You will love it.
Old 10-06-2007, 09:46 AM   #219

Thanks for the suggestion, but I already have Talisman.
Indeed, it sounded quite interesting.
I configured it for DosBox and started it and there is one thing that bugs me about it, though. Orders like "Benutze" (Use) or "Schau an" (Look at) are spoken by some programmer. I have to find a way to turn this off, it's incredibly annoying.
And I wished they would have employed a writer. I guess they thought that writing is easy so they just made it themselves. It's better than in "Höhlenwelt Saga" though. It doesn't have any terrible and unfitting Schwarzenegger jokes.

And while Talisman doesn't have any innovations gameplaywise it is probably the first pure adventure with 3D models! Overall, great graphics and music, but mediocre writing.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:39 AM   #220
Chicken with a bite

Someone got a bargain
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=007