You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Idea for an adventure game

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2005, 07:51 PM   #1

Default Idea for an adventure game

Don't excactly know where to put this, so I'll put it here.

I want to make an adventure game in the future, and am currently desgining it. The game is based on an alien invasion, and though I really want it to be an adventure game I didn't think that that would capture the panic of an alien invasion. The it hit me. Why not add an RPG battle system. Not like Final Fantasy, more like Chrono Trigger. What do you think?

Also, I was thinking of making it more dynamic, like making the player press a combination of buttons for a certain move, or maybe for a critical hit. I am open for suggestions.

PS: For those not unfamiliar with Chrono Trigger I will explain. Unlike most RPGs that whisk you away to a battle screen, Chrono Trigger simply starts the battle in the actual scenery with monsters that you can see.
Old 05-27-2005, 03:10 AM   #2

Default your ideas

hmm

interesting what happens when the germ of an idea starts to grow.. good luck whatever you decide. my instant thought was that you can achieve a sense of panic and opression purely within an adventure game. im thinking of maybe a change in colour palette once the invasion begins (think blade runnerish, post apocaliptic atmosphere type thing!). also music could play a big part here. i remember panicking in some adventures when a task has to completed, supposedly within a time limit, but its the music that sent me into a panic really... i think its a question of which genre rocks your boat most of all, combined with your own programing skills plus the tools you have at your disposal. i can only summarize by suggesting: pick a genre and stick to it. i know cross-overs can work, but thats my two pence (or cents) worth. good luck.
Old 05-27-2005, 06:25 AM   #3
kamikaze hummingbirds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirion
For those not unfamiliar with Chrono Trigger I will explain. Unlike most RPGs that whisk you away to a battle screen, Chrono Trigger simply starts the battle in the actual scenery with monsters that you can see.
i liked how you could have two characters use a kind of team attack.
Old 05-27-2005, 07:55 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirion
Don't excactly know where to put this, so I'll put it here.

I want to make an adventure game in the future, and am currently desgining it. The game is based on an alien invasion, and though I really want it to be an adventure game I didn't think that that would capture the panic of an alien invasion. The it hit me. Why not add an RPG battle system. Not like Final Fantasy, more like Chrono Trigger. What do you think?
I think you want to make an RPG. There was an RPG called Fifth Disciple that was essentially a 3rd person point-and-click adventure, only with a turn-based RPG battle system. Even though it was more than 3/4 adventure, it was still considered to be an RPG because of the stats management.

Quote:
Also, I was thinking of making it more dynamic, like making the player press a combination of buttons for a certain move, or maybe for a critical hit. I am open for suggestions.
I don't think I've ever seen that kind of thing in a computer RPG, only in console RPG's. Do you mean the game to be played with a gamepad? Most of the computer RPG's I've played use too many keys to work with a gamepad, and a lot of them use the mouse as well as the keyboard. Think about how you'd want the controls for your game laid out.
Old 05-27-2005, 08:29 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabapple
I think you want to make an RPG. There was an RPG called Fifth Disciple that was essentially a 3rd person point-and-click adventure, only with a turn-based RPG battle system. Even though it was more than 3/4 adventure, it was still considered to be an RPG because of the stats management.

I don't think I've ever seen that kind of thing in a computer RPG, only in console RPG's. Do you mean the game to be played with a gamepad? Most of the computer RPG's I've played use too many keys to work with a gamepad, and a lot of them use the mouse as well as the keyboard. Think about how you'd want the controls for your game laid out.
I was just brain storming about the dynamic side. I mean, maybe you would actually control the character, like a side-scrolling shooter or something. or maybe not. I'm just trying to add something else into an adventure game, to experiment and see what works best, and maybe draw in a few new adventurers.

Oh, and about the stats; I don't think I would have any, no matter what. I wanted your character to be able to attack the aliens, somehow. His attack would probably rely on something else, and that's where the dynamic part comes in. Maybe you would have to press a certain combo of buttons for a certain attack. Or maybe, as mentioned before, direct control of the character.

However, whatever battle system I might add, it will not extinguish the adventure side of the plot. There will be times when fighting is suicide, and you have to use your mind to help you out. And other times when battle isn't there at all, where you cannot battle.

Once again, I am completely open to suggestions. I want to make adventure games more exciting, take them into a new direction without destroying what an adventure game is.
Old 05-27-2005, 08:42 AM   #6
El Luchador

Send a message via ICQ to bigjko Send a message via MSN to bigjko

I like your idea.

Perhaps a sort-of Paper Mario type battle system would also come in handy. Keep it like Chrono Trigger, only you can get criticals by doing something while the character attacks. In Paper-Mario, the most basic of these actions is pressing A right before the character swings its axe, or whatever. Other actions include rapidly pressing A, to fill up a meter, that then makes your attack stronger depending on how much you filled.

Of course, these sequences would have to be pretty minimal, and fairly easy (although not so that people wouldn't feel like they've accomplished something.) Having the player never die, even though he loses a battle, would also be a good idea to keep it within the adventure realm. Maybe players could go back and solve more puzzles, to gain strength, and then come back to fight. Whatever.

Just remember to keep it clear in your head that this is an adventure game, at heart, and you should be fine. People will be quick to label it something else, though.
Old 05-27-2005, 10:50 AM   #7

Thanks for your suggestions, bigjko. I think I will use the Paper Mario setup, while still keeping the Chrono Trigger element. I also will keep in mint that this is an adventure game, and it will be one. Thanks for the advice.
Old 05-29-2005, 04:26 PM   #8
Old lady who loves games

Default In the same boat

[QUOTE=Sirion]Don't excactly know where to put this, so I'll put it here.

I love FF and CT. Funny you should mention writing a game. I'm writing one at the moment. Actually I'm just writing the story. When it's finished I'm going to contact a guy in El Salvador to see if he will be interested in making it a game. He did a really good but short freeware and I like his style. I hope you get your project off the ground. Good Luck

StarLite