You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Worst Adventure Ever

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2005, 11:42 PM   #1
Leo

Default Worst Adventure Ever

I'm curious to know what is your least favorite adventure game. The worst game I ever finished was "The Watchmaker". But the worst thing is the voice acting. It's painful to listen to. They don't even try to act. But that's not all. Everything about it is bad. I can't say one good thing about it. The storyline is boring as hell, the gaphics are dreadful, the characters not in the least bit interesting, the puzzles illogical and the dialogue atrocious. And even though you play as two characters, it makes no difference because they usually say the exact same thing and get the exact same responses from all the characters. One good thing I suppose is that you can interact with almost anything but the acting is so painful that you wouldn't want to anyway.

The worst game I have yet to finish is "The Ward". All I'll say is that there are six slider puzzles in it. Need I say more?

Since most of you have played more games than I have, I'd be interested in knowing which is your least favourite game and why.
Old 05-24-2005, 11:49 PM   #2

I have liked all of the games I've finished or I would have abandoned the game but to play I'll say Woodruff And The Schnibble. It was ok but it was obvious they were not putting much effort into the game.
Old 05-24-2005, 11:54 PM   #3
Dungeon Master

Jazz and friggin' Faust.
Old 05-25-2005, 12:58 AM   #4
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

My worst ever? Well, it's kinda tied - Adventure at the Chateau D'Or - a boring as possible game that could have been decent at least, because of the lovely photos used, but the game and interface were simply awful. And the other, which was so boring that I couldn't bring myself to finish it, was the Legend of Lotus Spring - terrible interface, lovely gardens to walk in and not much else to do. Both games, I think, attempted to be artsy, and they failed at that as well as failing to be a game.

FGM-Lyn
Old 05-25-2005, 01:07 AM   #5
Banned User

I thought Woodruff and the Schnibble was awesome concept and character wise. Puzzles were not up to par. I still had fun though.
Old 05-25-2005, 03:13 AM   #6
Easily amused

There are a few games that I never finished, but I don't think it's fair to give them the worst game title as I never played them through. So, the worst game I ever finished was the Ward. I persisted with it because I was new to Adventures, and I didn't want to give up on a $50 game. I also didn't really know my gaming preferences that well, since it was about the 5th or 6th game I had ever played.
Reasons why I didn't like it:
- it was the first 3rd person game I played, and I didn't like moving a person around; so much less immersive than 1st person perspective for me.
- I found this game very difficult and needed to refer to a WT for most of it. You played 2 characters; I found that very confusing and would have never known what to do without a WT.
- You needed to use and shoot weapons, and had to try to avoid being caught. This was very stressful; I really don't like this sort of thing in games.
- Timed sequences!! I actually got a migraine from trying to finish off the game. Finally, I resorted to a saved game just to see the darn ending.

Oddly enough, the parts I did like were the puzzles - sliders and this really neat color pattern superimposition puzzle.
Old 05-25-2005, 05:01 AM   #7
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

hmmm...more than one come to mind.

Harvester. Numerous times before, I've stated the reasons. 'nuff said.

Necronomicon. Wins the award for Most Tedious Game. From screen to screen, everything was bland.

eh, can't think of anymore at the moment.....
Old 05-25-2005, 07:01 AM   #8
kamikaze hummingbirds

Riven.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:35 AM   #9
Schoolgirl From Hell

Ugh... definitely The Watchmaker for me. After playing it, I came to a conclusion that life's too short for bad adventures

"Or is it I who has penetrated you?"
Old 05-25-2005, 07:44 AM   #10
Epinionated.

Hammerite

At least say Atlantis 3, which is my choice.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:13 AM   #11
Fulci lives

King´s Quest 8.
I haven´t played it but i´m pretty sure it sucks.
They abandoned the adventure genre for this game and instead turned in to some kind of action game?
Roberta Williams must have been so pissed.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:06 AM   #12
Quixotic

Send a message via AIM to JoeX111 Send a message via Yahoo to JoeX111

Nice argument there, Hamham.

I'd have to say either Escape From Monkey Island or Jack Orlando. Probably Jack Orlando, though. That game had such potential to be good, yet it hurt oh so much.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:09 AM   #13

Hmm, let's see. I have to name two games here.

1. Trick or Treat: Purely for the reason that the game is unfinishable due to a game crash right after the first act. It is the worst place this could have crashed as the cutscene hinted at the game getting a whole lot more interesting at that point. Tried getting past that part on a zillion different PC's from ancient to state of the art...crashes on all of them. Still haven't heard of anyone else getting past that part either. Yes, that game truly bugs me as it's all trick and no treat.

2. Grackon's Curse: Yuck, just yuck. The only redeeming qualities it has is that it's pretty short (so it won't waste too much of your time), and there are no apparent dead ends which I loathe. Crappy graphics, music, puzzles, etc. When I got to the end and confronted the bad "guy", I almost shit my pants from laughing so hard. It was pathetic, yet I was supposed to be cowering from fear at it?
Old 05-25-2005, 09:23 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerz

1. Trick or Treat: Purely for the reason that the game is unfinishable due to a game crash right after the first act. It is the worst place this could have crashed as the cutscene hinted at the game getting a whole lot more interesting at that point. Tried getting past that part on a zillion different PC's from ancient to state of the art...crashes on all of them. Still haven't heard of anyone else getting past that part either. Yes, that game truly bugs me as it's all trick and no treat.
So you mean that I'm not the only one unable to finish this game because of the crashes? I only thought I had bought a broken copy. My game crashes every time I get the "what to do" list from one of the old men. I've tried it on three computers and nothing works.

As for the worst adventure ever... I'll say Hugo III. I loved it as a kid, but nowadays it only makes me laugh.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:40 AM   #15
Old lady who loves games

Default Bad Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo
I'm curious to know what is your least favorite adventure game.
Common everyone nothing holds a candle to Quantum Gate. I don't even think there was a game in there at all. I think there was about two moves in the whole game and the rest was all movie, and a bad movie at that. I've seen crappy old B-movies that were better. And you know what's worse, they had the nerve to do a sequel. Which is a little hard to swallow.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:18 AM   #16
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Either Agapito's Crazy Adventure or Myst (because I like being controversial).

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 05-25-2005, 11:35 AM   #17

Surprising that no one has mentioned Forever Worlds yet.

I do think the voice "acting" in Watchmaker is the worst I've heard, but the game had some good points, like being able to explore the castle in 3D.
Old 05-25-2005, 12:46 PM   #18
kamikaze hummingbirds

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
Either Agapito's Crazy Adventure or Myst (because I like being controversial).
i agree with the bit about myst, though ive never even heard of agapito's crazy adventure.
Old 05-25-2005, 01:17 PM   #19
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Wow, guys, I'm hardly a sympathisant (w?) of the original Myst game... but to call it the worst AG? Then I must say that I think you've been very lucky with AGs. Granted, so have I, and my all-time favorite is The Labyrinth of Time, which is objectively... well... let's not go there. Fact is, I'd like to nominate TLoT for this list, but I do it with sure knowledge that there must be worse out there. And objectively, even if I did detest it, Myst is better than TLoT.

Not that we can truly be objective, of course, neither can I. But it's the short way of saying "I can see why people like/dislike this game, it's more than warranted, and I know that my opinion is oddball, in fact, I don't quite understand it myself". Just in case someone was going to nitpick on that.
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awardsâ„¢, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformismâ„¢
Internet Explodifierâ„¢ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 05-25-2005, 01:30 PM   #20
SamNMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamham Chan
King´s Quest 8.
I haven´t played it but i´m pretty sure it sucks.
They abandoned the adventure genre for this game and instead turned in to some kind of action game?
Roberta Williams must have been so pissed.
Roberta was the lead designer on the game, dude. And if they had known that KQ8 would be the last King's Quest game, they probably would have made it an adventure.