You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Adventure Games I skipped/might skip/almost skipped due to my stubbornes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2005, 10:32 PM   #1

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM
Default Adventure Games I skipped/might skip/almost skipped due to my stubbornes

It really should be the Adventure in itself that drives you play the game, but sometimes due to your stubborness you just say no, you can barelly pull through.

Police Quest "4" Open Season
I have many reasons why. First its becouse Sonny Bonds isnt the main character. Even worse though is that they cheaply digitalized all the graphics, creating a game that 2005 looks total crap compared to "Day of the Tentacle" and "Sam & Max" looks great.

Codename Iceman
Due to the stupid arcade sequences and the dicegame. Really, is this an adventure game at all, or just a submarine simulation? I say that 15% of the game looks and feels like Police Quest, the rest is a very crappy submarine simulation.

Simon 3D and Monkey Island 4
While I did finish MI4 I hesitated for long. I do not have anything against 3D games really, unless they look crap. MI4 really looks bad. Compare it with the 2 year earlier Grim Fandango, or why not competitors like the 1 year earlier Discworld Noir, or the 1 year earlier Gabriel Knight 3... games that still today actually looks good, despite being 3d.
Simon 3d is a disaster. I may be a good 2d artist that can today produce 2d art better than most of the old 2d titles, but I can even produce 3d Art that looks better than Simon 3d... and trust me, im one crappy 3d artist.

"Kings Quest "8" Mask of Eternity"
Why oh why naming it "Kings Quest"... With my "Gotta finish em all" obsession I might have to pull through this one sooner or later. This is a 3d action game... so far removed from the rest it can be.

"Larry "8" Magna Cum Laude"
Again, why the nametheft... I actually grabbed it, installed it, played it for awhile, then downloaded an End Game save with all content unlocked, gave it a quick browse, and deinstalled it again.

"Castle/Isle of Dr Brain"
I havnt made up my mind if theese are adventure games at all...
Old 04-20-2005, 10:52 PM   #2
Quixotic

Send a message via AIM to JoeX111 Send a message via Yahoo to JoeX111

Well, a few of the games you mentioned are pretty legitimate drops, in my opinion. Police Quest 4 gets really annoying later on, as they require you to actually fill in lots of police reports accurately, and dock you points if you fail to do so. Codename: Iceman just wasn't very interesting overall, if I recall, and Escape from Monkey Island just isn't really funny.

It'll probably get me killed here, but I've honestly never finished the Longest Journey. The game is interesting enough, but I think it has horrible pacing which has repeatedly led me to abandon it. There are lots of exciting and fantastic moments followed by long plodding periods of just walking around doing random crap to accomplish some lofty, half described goal. And while you could probably make that same argument towards many adventure games, most of them hide it better than Journey does. Grim Fandango is a game that does it flawlessly.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:37 AM   #3

I skipped most of these games too except MI4 and the Dr. Brain games which I loved as a kid. I enjoyed the MI story but I didnt really like the game too much. With that said you simply cant pass up a Monkey Island game.
Old 04-21-2005, 02:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Blondebeard
I skipped most of these games too except MI4 and the Dr. Brain games which I loved as a kid. I enjoyed the MI story but I didnt really like the game too much. With that said you simply cant pass up a Monkey Island game.
I guess you are right. I finished MI4 eventually... and the story was ok really... and it kinda wrapped the games together as the true end. but I cant say that I was happy about the graphics. The resolution was low, and with the top resolution the backgrounds teared up for me, causing pixelated garbage. Difficult to explain without a screenshot.
Old 04-21-2005, 04:16 PM   #5
fov
Rattenmonster

I really enjoyed the realism in Police Quest 4. STUPID ending, but I didn't mind the police reports, or the graphics.

For games I might skip... probably Riven and Exile. Even though I own them. (Two copies of each, actually!) Just... bah, the thought of sitting through them makes me wince.
Old 04-21-2005, 04:46 PM   #6
Jack Bauer loves you

Send a message via AIM to artwking4

I'm giving up on Syberia and Syberia 2. It just isn't holding my interest. And Kate Walker moves too damn slow. Also, I wanted to throw Oscar from the train.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:23 PM   #7
Living with my love

Send a message via MSN to Tobbe

Same here Fov, i own Exile, but i just don´t feel like playing it..Dunno why..
Old 04-22-2005, 07:07 AM   #8
desmondd

I tried playing Syberia as well, and put it down since it failed to catch my attention. Since everyone seems to be so enthralled by it, I might give it another chance.

I haven't played Kings Quest 7 or 8. The series began to lose its' attraction for me with the 5th game. Which incidentally, is when Sierra started this whole point- and-click thing. Their first few point-and-click games from Sierra just didn't come off well in my opinion. I had the same problem with the Leisure Suit Larry 1 remake, Leisure Suit Larry 5, and nearly every game put on by Sierra during that transition period. Shortly after those games, they got better at the new interface and I started liking their games again.

I loved Codename: Iceman. Or rather, I loved the parts of it that didn't involve driving the damn sub. The dice game didn't bother me at all. After all, similar things showed up in both the Leisure Suit Larry and Police Quest series.

I also liked MI4, but I don't remember enough of it to recall what everyone's beef with it is.

Now for the shocker. I've never played the Maniac Mansion or Zak Mackracken games. I always thought they were just too silly. Looking back now, I think I'd like to give them a shot.

Old 04-22-2005, 07:12 AM   #9
desmondd

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. I tried to play Simon3D, but it made me physically ill. I finally got so nauseous from the bad 3D implementation that I had to give it up.

Old 04-22-2005, 09:05 AM   #10
fov
Rattenmonster

I gave up on KQ7 for a long time. Bought it in 1994 when it came out for the Mac. It didn't run well on our computer (VERY slow) and I was annoyed by how different it was from the other games. I didn't plan to finish it. Then I got a PC copy a couple of years ago and played it through to the end. I think by that point I was hungry because I knew there wouldn't be any more KQ games from Sierra. So I was willing to be a bit more forgiving. It's not bad if you look at it as a standalone game. Not the best game Sierra released, by any means, but it's not as bad as I thought it was.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:38 PM   #11
The Third Woman

Isabelle: What is it with this game!? ...a blind leading a blind, through huge cubes of thrown-together pixels

Myst Exile: Never found the right motivation

The Black Mirror: Probably not well-founded but I just couldn't stand the main characters "conversational skills"
Old 04-22-2005, 08:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
I really enjoyed the realism in Police Quest 4. STUPID ending, but I didn't mind the police reports, or the graphics.

For games I might skip... probably Riven and Exile. Even though I own them. (Two copies of each, actually!) Just... bah, the thought of sitting through them makes me wince.
I finished Police Quest 4 tonight actually. It gets better, but the forms started to become a joke I had to laugh to myself everytime I filled one towards the end.

I finished both Riven and Exile myself.
Old 04-22-2005, 08:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwking4
I'm giving up on Syberia and Syberia 2. It just isn't holding my interest. And Kate Walker moves too damn slow. Also, I wanted to throw Oscar from the train.
Syberia would definitely be a somewhat better game with a "double click to go to next screen" button
Old 04-22-2005, 08:23 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by desmondd
I haven't played Kings Quest 7 or 8. The series began to lose its' attraction for me with the 5th game. Which incidentally, is when Sierra started this whole point- and-click thing.
I had another reason to jump the Kings Quest sequels.
I had an amiga at the time the 6th game came. An amiga 1200 that was capable of 256 colors. After a long time KQ6 finally appeared on Amiga, and was supposed to be released as the first 256 color sierra game. But thoose bastards had converted it to 32 colors anyway.
I refused to play it and decided to play it later on pc instead... Now I have it, but I still havnt gotten around to play it yet.
Old 04-22-2005, 09:16 PM   #15
Jack Bauer loves you

Send a message via AIM to artwking4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JemyM
Syberia would definitely be a somewhat better game with a "double click to go to next screen" button
You know, I'd probably give it another chance and like it a whole lot more if that feature were implemented. But maybe not. I'm still weighing the pros and cons of trading the games in at EBGames. Ah well....
Old 04-23-2005, 03:31 AM   #16
Fulci lives

Midnight Nowhere:
I usually love horror games, but this one is just too disturbing and dark.The beginning of the game takes place in a hospital, all those warped pictures that fill the walls in the corridors just creep me out, the same goes for the misogynist views of women in the game.
This is a game that will collect dust on my bookcase, i really doubt i will ever play it again.

Day of the Tentacle:
I loved the first Maniac Mansion game, this sequel though is not my cup of tea.Day of the Tentacle looks just like an American cartoon, all that zany and crazy humor is something i could do without.
This is one of the few Lucasarts games i cant stand.

Conquest of Camelot:
Why do game programmers insist on including action sequneces in adventure titles? They drive me nuts.This would have been great game otherwise.
Old 04-24-2005, 12:27 PM   #17

I loved Day Of The Tentacle. It is basically more of a completely differant game than a sequal. Completely differant style of story telling. I prefer the zany humour. I thought the first one was a little blah but the game was ok.
Old 04-24-2005, 12:31 PM   #18

I thought Day of the Tentacle was great, but never finished Maniac Mansion. I think I chose the wrong characters or something in the beginning and got stuck later on.

edit:
I also didn't finish Zak McKraken. I ran into a dead end where Zak was stuck in one place and the other character needed an inventory item that Zak had in his inventory in order to get to him.
Old 04-24-2005, 12:45 PM   #19
El Luchador

Send a message via ICQ to bigjko Send a message via MSN to bigjko

Syberia - Dull; boring; slow; did I mention boring?

Discworld 1 - As much as I love the books, the game was just way too confusing. It might've been so confusing because I wasn't really as into the books back then, as I am now.

Blade Runner - Bleh; pixel hunting; just not my cup of tea.

Maniac Mansion - Preferred the sequel.

Stupid Invaders - No wait, I wish I had skipped that one.
Old 04-24-2005, 01:11 PM   #20
8-Bit Spritemaster™

The first adventure game I skipped out on was Mean Streets. It looked nice enough, but because I had to go into my bios, and clock down my computer (of my then 486sx 20Mhz), just to play the title, and because this was prior to the days of GameFAQs, I just couldn't stay focused in said title.

I'm not sure if you can consider it an Adventure game, a Puzzle game, or just something so very creepy & icky that it should be buried at sea, but I've never finished Inca.

I also never got into any of the Myst/Zork games. Why? Because I just can't get into that sort of perspective/manipulation adventure game.

SWB
And I could *ALMOST* add Space Quest 2 to this list. Not to say that I didn't like the title, but I almost threw it away in frustration because of the caves sequence. I mean I even *HAD* the gem, but would the game let me USE GEM or HOLD GEM? No, the damn thing would only except PUT GEM IN MOUTH.