You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Adventure games I never finished becouse of bad luck

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2005, 10:12 PM   #1

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM
Default Adventure games I never finished becouse of bad luck

Twenty years has passed since I first layed my eyes upon Kings Quest 1 on my friends PC. Since then I have played more adventure games than I can count. Still I have this weird obsession with "Gotta finish em all".
When I grew up it was custom to give me a Sierra or Lucasarts adventure game every christmas and every birthday. I also purchased some of the games myself with the little money I had. Sometimes I just borrowed or was given the game from a friend.

Over the years, there are a few noteworthy ones that I due to special reasons never came to finish, at least not the first attempt. This rather weird thread is about thoose games.

The really bad:
Codename Iceman:
My struggles with Codename Iceman started back when the game was first released. I was simply too young to understand the Submarine sequence, and never got around to finish it.
Years later I decided to take the game up again, got tired and took a break right after the Dicegame, and then I had a HD crash that killed my saves. Again I decided to give it a try with FreeSCI, only to reach the point where you must "Green Board", a command FreeSCI did not accept (known bug with FreeSCI).
I finally finished the game 2 days ago, and it feels like a black cloud from my past is finally dissolved.

Piracy Strikes back:
Kings Quest 4:
Ok, I confess. My original copy was the pirated Amiga version, that stopped to work after witnessing the moon. Years later I found the Kings Quest collection, and got around to finish it.

When your hardware simply doesnt cut it:
Discworld:
I used my Amiga for a long time. It was pretty advanced. Heaps of ram, fast processor and a CD reader. I used a mac emulator to finish MYST and after that I got Discworld to work. It worked fine, until the very end. The mac emulator was not compatible with the end, the computer just froze, so I still never really finished the game. I plan to replay it some time later though.

When you got the game later in life and it refuses to run on a modern computer:

Heart of China:
Ok, I got hold of this game too late. Its almost impossible to make this game run decently on my computer. Might be circumventable with Virtual PC but I havnt tried it yet.

Gabriel Knight:
I really suffer that I cant make this game work properly. I have the full CD version and everything, but it just refuses to run. I might solve it later on (the technical problems) but for now it just collects dust on the shelf.
Old 04-20-2005, 10:17 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JemyM
Gabriel Knight:
I really suffer that I cant make this game work properly. I have the full CD version and everything, but it just refuses to run. I might solve it later on (the technical problems) but for now it just collects dust on the shelf.
One of our members here, Hendroz, made a nice patch that solves most problems with Gabriel Knight. Check it out here:
http://www.gabrielknight2k.tk/

Old 04-20-2005, 10:31 PM   #3

Heart of China is supposed to work in DOSBox.
http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/comp_l...D=477&letter=H
Old 04-20-2005, 10:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustCropper
One of our members here, Hendroz, made a nice patch that solves most problems with Gabriel Knight. Check it out here:
Simply awesome
Got a few titles to pull through before Gabriel Knight, but this pushed it up on priority

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabapple
Heart of China is supposed to work in DOSBox.
http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/comp_...ID=477&letter=H
Thats interesting information indeed. I will look into it for sure.
Old 04-21-2005, 12:50 PM   #5
Fulci lives

Quote:
Kings Quest 4:
Ok, I confess. My original copy was the pirated Amiga version, that stopped to work after witnessing the moon. Years later I found the Kings Quest collection, and got around to finish it.
Weird, i had the exact same problem with my Amiga version of KQ4!
The game just froze at the point when day turns to night in the game.
Maybe all Amiga versions of King´s Quest 4 were faulty?
Old 04-21-2005, 02:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamham Chan
Weird, i had the exact same problem with my Amiga version of KQ4!
The game just froze at the point when day turns to night in the game.
Maybe all Amiga versions of King´s Quest 4 were faulty?
I was reading an Amiga Magazine back then. It had a part of the magazine dedicated to hints for adventure games (where people could post questions). This problem was often discussed there, always with a "piracy is bad for you" comment
The real version (not pirated) for amiga worked though. My friend had it and he finished the game without this problem. My collectors set is for PC.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:56 AM   #7

Quote:

Oooo, nice! Maybe it's time to romp through those three games again (Well, at least the first two - was never too fond of GK3)

Thanks for the link!
Old 04-23-2005, 03:16 AM   #8
Fulci lives

Quote:
I was reading an Amiga Magazine back then. It had a part of the magazine dedicated to hints for adventure games (where people could post questions). This problem was often discussed there, always with a "piracy is bad for you" comment
The real version (not pirated) for amiga worked though. My friend had it and he finished the game without this problem. My collectors set is for PC.
Oh well, i got my hands on a pc version of the game a couple of years ago, and i finally managed to solve it.(yay!)
Old 04-24-2005, 06:51 PM   #9

Quote:
While I appreciate his work, I ended up playing it with DOSBox... better graphical options
I ended up as a advmame3x junkie the last few days.
Old 04-24-2005, 08:05 PM   #10
fire breathing

dott.

probably not a good game to have never finished, but oh well....
Old 04-24-2005, 08:50 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to Mewd

Every single adventure game I have yet to finish in my possession is a result of the game itself being trite, or my own laziness. I have the keen convenience of a lack of technical issues.

Previously, I could have said there were Sierra games that gave me issues thanks to speed glitches, but thanks to the fan made patches that was taken care of.
Old 04-24-2005, 09:55 PM   #12
fire breathing

Quote:

Gabriel Knight:
There's a really good patch out now...made by someone on this forum. I think the site is like gabrielknight2k.com or something like that.